Bimini's and awnings, use one?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Bimini's, the typical 2 or 3 bow frame with a Sunbrella cover over a sailboat cockpit, are a staple down south. Up North the typical bimini is pretty rare.

Awnings on boats, the type that you have to rig to set up, are more rare still. We've used awnings, occasionally on our last two boats when anchored during hot spells in the Northeast and while cruising south.

Our current awning fly's over the boom and runs from a couple feet aft of the mainmast, to the mizzen mast, and out over the side decks. It's supported by two PVC poles and lashing lines. There's a ring in the middle to hoist with a halyard. It's takes about 10 minutes to rig.

Awning .jpg

I'm guessing both bimini's and awnings will become more popular on sailboats due to our warming sailing seasons.

Our awning was put to good use last August in Southern NE. However we found on several occasions, it fell short protecting us from the hot sun, especially the afternoons which were often in the 90's.

In Sandwich on the Cape Cod Canal, by 1:00 pm, we had 1/2 a cockpit of shade, and quickly would lose that.
Sandwich 1 pm August .jpg

Another memorable afternoon in Rockport Ma. inside the still little harbor in the late afternoon, we escaped to a side deck, the only shade we could find. 5:06 pm.
5:06pm Awning not working_.jpg

In the past we used various items clipped on the sun side when the sun was too hot in the late afternoon. On more than one occasion, I've even hoisted the dinghy sail and tied it along side. The beauty of the awning is, with the dodger front panel opened (or even completely folded as here), the whole house is shaded. On an anchor or mooring, a cool breeze flows beneath over the cockpit.
Afternoon shade .jpg

Jury rigs at best. Odds are we'll be using the awning more in the future. It's time to fit a better side curtain.

Some sun awnings I see on older boats have side curtains. Every inch helps, but will these curtains be low enough in the afternoon?

Awning   Fife.jpg

Thinking of going to the local sailmaker for a straight rectangular Sunbrella curtain, fit with grommets to tie to the awning on the sun side, someone gave me another idea.

Greenhouse shade cloth. Not familiar with the stuff I checked some sources:

Various light cutting material is available. The green above is a 70% reducer. That may work better than an opaque panel, I'm thinking. More reduction is available in a black materials, less in lighter colored materials. They all let a side breeze through as well as a little light.

Best of all, I found a supplier that will cut hem and grommet whatever side rectangle you order. It's very affordable and easy so I'm thinking a couple of rectangles that tie to the awning, run forward to shade the house, and run to the decks.

Not often rigged, they should last forever.

It's pretty rare to even have someone nearby in our waters but when privacy is needed, two panels might be just the thing. Late afternoon sun protection but we'll still have vision out and not a dark Sunbrella cave below.

Moores Blue Hill (1 of 1).jpg

Any experience with this greenhouse shading material, colors, % light reduction?

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
I don't use Sunbrella (AARG) for my bimini. I started using what was called Polyant Square instead.
It's a 3 part waterproof fabric that lasts twice as long as Sunbrella & without the stretching over time.
Many awning cover manufactures use similar material. I first saw it covering windows on big sport fisherman boats.

I'm now on my second bimini, the first one lasted well over 8 years. I use vinyl type treatments twice a year.
But what I really love, is it doesn't stretch over time like Sunbrella.

PS: I use Sunbrella for main cover & Sac strip as it's somewhat breathable but,
I HATE SUNBRELLA!

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
as you said, down here the Bimini is almost a requirement. I'd almost swap the main if I had to choose. Fortunately I don't :)

Here's the boat in her full awning dress. the cockpit awning is held up with joined PVC poles.
awnings.jpg

Under the Bimini, I have shades that snap onto the rear edge, and lash to which ever side is needed

shade.jpg

The shade cloth goes a long way for privacy

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Tom, I have shade cloth that I got from Sailrite.com waiting for me and my sewing machine. (It's been waiting too long, though.) Here's a link: https://www.sailrite.com/search?keywords=shade cloth

My first impression was at $20 a yard it was quite expensive, until I realized that fabric is 10' wide.

The aft end of my boat faces east, so we get too much morning sun. Sitting in the cockpit with morning coffee we are blinded by the sun. My plan is to make a panel that will cover block the sun but, be adaptable so it can be moved to different positions around the boat.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
as you said, down here the Bimini is almost a requirement. I'd almost swap the main if I had to choose. Fortunately I don't :)

Here's the boat in her full awning dress. the cockpit awning is held up with joined PVC poles.
View attachment 162518

Under the Bimini, I have shades that snap onto the rear edge, and lash to which ever side is needed

View attachment 162519

The shade cloth goes a long way for privacy
Charlie, nice set up. What is your shade cloth? How does it perform when the afternoon sun is shinning below your opaque bimini? Meaning how much heat and sunlight gets through? Is it enough of a shade?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Tom, I have shade cloth that I got from Sailrite.com waiting for me and my sewing machine. (It's been waiting too long, though.) Here's a link: https://www.sailrite.com/search?keywords=shade cloth

My first impression was at $20 a yard it was quite expensive, until I realized that fabric is 10' wide.

The aft end of my boat faces east, so we get too much morning sun. Sitting in the cockpit with morning coffee we are blinded by the sun. My plan is to make a panel that will cover block the sun but, be adaptable so it can be moved to different positions around the boat.
That's what I'm looking to do, Don. Have a few movable panels. My ideas are not evolved to justify hiring somebody to build what I need. I envy your skill.

I can do almost anything that's needed on the boat except sew. Years ago I wish I had bought a heavy sewing machine. I'm often limited when it comes to 'canvas'.

The material I plan to order is industrial so this may be a route to a better material panel as you posted.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
You can overdo the 'tent' effect with opaque side curtains. The Alden schooner WHEN AND IF, on the left, with an awning and full canvas side curtains is too much of a cave for us.

Fife ADVENTURESS middle and the Rhodes BOUNTY on the right.

Adventuress, When and If, Bounty  (1 of 1).jpg

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
Charlie, nice set up. What is your shade cloth? How does it perform when the afternoon sun is shinning below your opaque bimini? Meaning how much heat and sunlight gets through? Is it enough of a shade?
Tom- it does pretty well. Opaque enough that my ex didn't mind showering in the cockpit with them up. I wouldn't want more of a blockage, here anyway. Just too hot to block the wind when temps are around 100 and humidity is in the 90's

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Tom- it does pretty well. Opaque enough that my ex didn't mind showering in the cockpit with them up. I wouldn't want more of a blockage, here anyway. Just too hot to block the wind when temps are around 100 and humidity is in the 90's

Good to know because it looks to me like your material would be no more than 50-60% light blocking. I may look at less % options. Thanks.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I can hardly concentrate on the question of this post when you show me so many beautiful wooden boats, but here goes.
For ten years we have been using this stuff
Easy Gardener 6 ft. x 20 ft. Sun Screen Fabric Shade Canopy
(in black because it's all I've been able to find) as covers. I started out just tying knots in the corners for the lines, and it lasted so long that when we decided to have new ones made up professionally just for looks, the old ones were far from their end.
For me it cuts the sun 75%, but not being terrilby wind resistant like solid cloth would be, so there's much less strain on the cloth and what you attach it to. AND it's inexpensive!
Our dodger and Bimini are Sunbrella and over ten years of 24/7/365 tropical sun, wind and rain so, I really have nothing bad to say about the stuff, though I will research the Polyant Square when the time comes to replace the dodger (we may go w/a hard bimini), but it is almost unbelievable I'll get more than ten years out of that as well. It will also matter if the colors we want are available.
As so many of our customers are Northern Europeans, et al, we would be out of business w/o an excellent bimini.
sun shade 1sm.jpg

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Easy-Ga...opy-in-Saddle-Tan-Heavy-Duty-72020R/202043545

Attachments

Mar 20, 2011
Hunter 31_83-87 New Orleans
+1 on the home depot sunshade. use one for my foredeck. about $30 when I purchased it a couple of years ago. provides shade and helps keep cabin cooler when pushing AC to its limits in Houston July/August time frame.
IMG_1336.JPG

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
+1 on the home depot sunshade. use one for my foredeck. about $30 when I purchased it a couple of years ago. provides shade and helps keep cabin cooler when pushing AC to its limits in Houston July/August time frame.
Am I seeing two cowl vents on a single dorade box in this pic??

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Your comment biminis are rare up north? Most people including me I know have one. Where did you learn this

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
@TomY I’ve been using the 80% shade cloth in light gray for a couple of years. I only rig it temporarily (as you show with your dinghy sail) but it does the trick when the sun is low and we need relief. Go for it, no need to spend a lot of $ this is easy. :)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Your comment biminis are rare up north? Most people including me I know have one. Where did you learn this
From sailing primarily up North, I guess. I looked around at photos and only rarely find a typical 2-3 bow bimini on Maine sailboats. However, sailing down south I recall they were more standard.

On the other hand, you rarely see a coastal cruising sailboat on the coast of Maine, without a dodger. But I remember often seeing southern boats with bimini's and no dodger. Makes sense; beating into weather on the coast of Maine can be cold, even in August.

But I expect bimini's and awnings to increase in popularity, even on the coast of Maine. Awnings, household, are a booming biz these days, even here.

I think of your area (NY state), as another notch South of mine when it comes to climate, maybe two.

RussC

Sep 11, 2015
Merit 22- Oregon lakes
We've gotten a lot of use from the "conestoga wagon cover" I made a few years ago. just nylon with sewed in pockets on each end to hold those sectioned and flexible fiberglass tent poles that bungie-pop together for the dome tents. I placed oak blocks on the boat with appropriate holes to receive the ends of the poles. it's a 2 minute set-up or take down and all fits in a very compact 12" x 4" storage bag. when in sailing mode it sets up just under the boom, so nothing else needs to be altered on the boat to set it up. can be slid from side to side on the poles as needed for better sun protection or privacy, but we like being able to see out most of the time ;) .

P1040102.jpg