Lost Containers

Jan 13, 2019
Lockley Newport 23 Portman Marina
Hey all, was just reading an earlier posting about Comanche. One of the responders brought back to my mind about the Vendee Ocean Race and one of the boats hitting a shipping container that had fallen overboard. The boat was stopped dead in the water with major damage but didn't sink. When I then googled about the frequency of containers being lost overboard from the container ships, I was amazed at the suspected losses per year; but the lackadaisical attitude regarding these floating traps really surprised me. I was wondering if any if you had ever encountered one of these overboard shipping containers in your years of sailing offshore--whether coastal cruising or crossing oceans. It looks like there is beginning to be attention given to all the plastic in the ocean thanks to the Volvo Ocean Race. So, I wonder. What about all these lost containers that are bobbing around and one day, will eventually reveal their contents. Then again, how about the sailing vessels that have gone missing and never heard from again--could they have been a victim of lost shipping containers? Just something that has been on my mind and wondered if anyone else was thinking about it. Thanks for your thoughts.
James

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Check this out:

https://gcaptain.com/watch-strong-winds-topple-containers-at-port-of-antwerp/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed:+Gcaptain+(gCaptain.com)&goal=0_f50174ef03-b51db2e3d5-139810701&mc_cid=b51db2e3d5&mc_eid=ebde4be63d

At sea container impact avoidance is primarily based on the Big Ocean theory. It is a very big ocean, containers are small and sailboats are small, therefore the probability of hitting one is very low.

Well designed expedition sailboats have watertight compartments in the bow, so that if a container is hit the damage and flooding is limited to the bow section with the boat staying afloat.

Unfortunately Cal 39s do not have watertight bow compartments.

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
Don’t recall where but I read that you are statistically more likely to win the lottery than hit a container at sea.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Well then, I should expect to win the lotto any day 7 years back.
Most containers manufactured and used today are manufactured with a valve that will allow the airtight ones to sink in a very short time if emersed in seawater.
As for hitting one, I can't think of anything else that would have thrown my 77,000# boat a hundred feet on her beam ends in a gale between Bermuda and the VI.

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
I came across on while sailing several years ago about 20 miles offshore.
Luckily, I always keep a lookout.

It was a good thing, as the container top was flush with the surface & would
have been hard to spot if knot for the 2 foot seas splashing against it.

I then reported this & the position to the Coast Guard.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Well then, I should expect to win the lotto any day 7 years back.
Most containers manufactured and used today are manufactured with a valve that will allow the airtight ones to sink in a very short time if emersed in seawater.
As for hitting one, I can't think of anything else that would have thrown my 77,000# boat a hundred feet on her beam ends in a gale between Bermuda and the VI.
77,000? Must carry a lot of beer :)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Of course. That's it. Rum has higher density. Weighs more per bottle. :)
It is the bottle.

Beer is about 5% alcohol by volume, rum about 40% alcohol by volume.

Beer in aluminum cans floats. Beer in bottles sink. Rum in bottles means the skipper and crew have not been doing their jobs. :beer: ::rum bottle emoji::

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
On my lake I always worry about wood that washes off wood piles after heavy storms.

Several years ago, in my old 16ft Baja, I hit a 4ft diameter stump that was floating just beneath the surface after a storm and split the hull. I made it back to the ramp and left the bilge pump running. By the time I got the trailer under it the water inside the boat was about 2" from the gunnel.

I'm pretty sure the damage wouldn't be as extreme on my S2 if I hit one (50mph vs 6 and better construction) but I still keep an eye out.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Unfortunately those container sink valves are pretty much still on the drawing board. And there is a glut of shipping containers worldwide as international commerce slows. My impression is that the multi-national commercial shippers care no more about us small boaters than they care about their crews. Careful out there!

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
The air valve thing that allows the container to flood only works if the cargo inside the container is heavy enough to sink. Unfortunately that is often not the case. Electronics and other breakable items are packed in Styrofoam and similar so they will not sink.