Dinghy recommendations

Jan 19, 2019
Oday 27 Hudson, Wisconsin
Hi! I've read a few mixed reviews about the Walker Bay 8 on West Marine - do you think it is an ok sailing dinghy without the added tubes? We mainly want a tender to get out to our mooring spot, but I think it would be fun to have a mini sailer!!
~Lisa

Aug 22, 2017
Hunter 26.5 West Palm Beach
I looked at an older Morgan 41 OI recently that had a Walker Bay 8 on the deck. The boat was badly neglected. The WB8 looked like it had been on that deck for at least 10 years straight. The material that it was made out of had become brittle & cracked. I do not know if it had been improperly cleaned with harsh solvents or if the WB8 hull material degradation was only from long term sun exposure. If owners of older WB's that have been left outdoors for long periods of time could chime in, it might help me to understand the long term viability of these little utilitarian boats.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
It was asked before but. You said you have a folding boat. Is it a Porta-boat? If its in good shape why not just get a 2 hp or so motor for it? It pushes through the water a lot easier than an infatable and can fold up and lash to the stancions. Its assembly shouldn't take any longer (and probably less) time than an inflatable that you have to blow up. Its pretty easy to assemble once you get the hang of it. You can use your main halyard or a spare halyard if you have one to hoist it over the side once it is assembled. Just wanted to know why the move from the folding boat.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
I ended up buying a Trinka solid dingy. Has oars, sails and I have a motor for it if I decide I want to use the motor. Beautiful tender! Can't wait for sailing season here in the North country!

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Best find a second hand one. I don't believe they are being built anymore. I believe I got one of the last four ever built. One of the reasons I went for it, besides being one of the most beautiful and functional looking tenders out there. I paid 1/3 the cost of a similar fatty knees. I got the full blown sailing/rowing/motor version with lots of extras. The guy that was building them is a real artist! I understand he is looking for someone to take over the Trinka line, but haven't heard if there have been any takers.

dj

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Don't know who is actually building them, but the designer, Bruce Bingham, is quite a character. He is a member of my former club, and I have rowed his personal Trinka. I loved it, but couldn't find one locally before we left, and he wouldn't sell me his.

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
They were being built by Mark Johannsen out of Vero Beach FL. He and his wife, Suzanne, ran the Johannsen Boat Works producing Bingham's designed tender, the Trinka. Excellent design. Mark is an excellent Craftsman and he and his wife are wonderful folk. I'm really happy to have gotten one of his boats.

dj

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
I looked at those in October. Very nice price. At the time I looked at them, the sales person just blew me off such that I walked away saying to myself that guy would have to pay me to get anything from him...

dj

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
That look like a pretty small inflatable but its also pretty inexpensive. Some video of Will Porter test driving his new Goplus here and some commentary here (at post #148).

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
That thing loks very cool, but to me that 2 person 400# ratung is really 1 with motor and gear. My wife would never agree to get into anything that small unless we were abandoning ship, but could be fun if we keep our 25 for around the lake for my son and daughter with our trolling motor.