Sealant on garboard drain plug

Jun 4, 2007
Gulfstar 37 Noank, CT
A bit early, but already thinking of Spring commissioning.
What sealant, if any should I put on the threads of the garboard drain plug when I reinstall it?
I'm thinking of teflon plumbers tape, but wondering if something more robust should be used to prevent any back off?

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
A bit early, but already thinking of Spring commissioning.
What sealant, if any should I put on the threads of the garboard drain plug when I reinstall it?
I'm thinking of teflon plumbers tape, but wondering if something more robust should be used to prevent any back off?
That's what I use or a teflon pipe dope sealant. Tighten it up snug, don't over do it, you could turn the whole body or gall the threads. I've never heard of a garboard plug backing off and they are used pretty universally around here.

Dec 23, 2016
Catalina 27 Clinton CT
I've never heard of a garboard plug backing off and they are used pretty universally around here

X2

I worked in a boat yard for years. We never used any sealant on them. The threads are pretty fine so a quarter turn with a wrench and you are good to go

Jun 4, 2007
Gulfstar 37 Noank, CT
It's our first boat with a garboard drain.
Thank you all for the reassurance and advice.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Ours is bronze so we just put it in and it seems to come out easily enough when the time comes. Never heard of a bronze one backing out, even in a grounding.