Help - Cracks 9.2

Jul 8, 2004
- - St Pete
New owner question. There are cracks originating from the area where the compression post meets the keel (or is it a hull liner?) They are visible from the small opening over the hull tranducer juswt outside the head door. The head door makes contact (just barely) with the shelf opposite the head. The PO may have over tightened the stays. I cannot see any downward deflexion of the deck or cabin sole, and cannot find any posts (photos) that look like mine. Do I need to rip out the entire sole and start fiberglassing?

Attachments

Aug 21, 2017
Sunfish Thistle NY
Those cracks look like they are in the hull. There wouldn't be a hull liner below the cabin sole. Remove the sole around that area to get a better look. Just a guess but I think you will need to do some fiberglass repairs. This may be an extensive structural repair depending on the how deep and widespread the cracks are.

Jul 8, 2004
- - St Pete
OK, the sole starts coming up. Any suggestions as to where there might be stringers, or the best places to start cutting?

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
I would remove the wood cover around the compression post and have a look. Unless the wood is the post, but i doubt it. Looks like a lot of water has run down inside the wood cover. These boats have some history of post supports rotting out especially when water is involved. Wondering if thats what happened and the PO just kept tightening the rig. If you make the decision to cut, get a small battery circular saw and adjust the depth to just the thickness of the plywood. Then you miss the stringers. Use guides for straight cuts. There are a few here that have gone through this. Woodster installed a whole new sole. Search for his posts..I can’t tell where your cracks are as the pic has no context.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Figure out where it is. The keel is integral to the hull. It is at the front where where the keel is still transitioning into the hull. You might just be looking at the top of that area where they just dump resin on top of the ballast and it could just be meaningless. In fact, if you can't see heavy roving, then you almost certainly aren't looking at the inside of the hull at all.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
This is a pic Woodster took with his sole out. You can see the new block for under his compression post. You can also see where they capped off the ballast the the heavy fiberglass roving they used for that work and the hull. What you have looks like some miscellaneous resin that has off white gelcoat in it that they dumped in, perhaps to bed the sole in, not hull roving.

Attachments

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Read your post again. Someone probably put it under the wooden plate to bed it to the curved hull. So they could drill the hole for the transducer on a flat surface.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
Bob makes some good points. I would still bare the post and look at the support cuz of all the water signs I see. Bob, is the post wood wrap factory? I used to have a 9.2C a long long time ago. Post was bare but of course the cabintry and layout is different. One reason I don’t think it is factory is because of the hogged out notch near the tank..

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
If you do end up cutting near the post, do it in a way the pieces can be reinstalled for inspection purposes. The mast on the 36 is keel stepped, but I can remove sections of sole around the mast. I will try to get some pics in the next week.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
So, I was just looking at a PM with pix from someone with a 9.2a. Looks like that compression post is factory wrapped with teak. Or the teak is the post? I hope not..

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Its wrapped in teak. The wrap sits on the sole. One thing I learned too is that the head door not hitting the stop on the opposite cabinet isn't necessarily diagnostic of anything but shitty finish carpentry work in the 80's.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
The wrap is factory. It sits on top of the sole. Mine is crushed down a bit.

BobM

Jun 10, 2004
S2 9.2A Winthrop, MA
Here is a pic of my surgery. I suggest using a cheap camera instead! Bought one off amazon for under $30.

Attachments

Jul 8, 2004
- - St Pete
Here is a pic of my surgery. I suggest using a cheap camera instead! Bought one off amazon for under $30.
I can be a real duffus... The cracks were in the paint. I do have the problem of the head door hitting the cabinetry. The PO over tightened the shrouds, and so I'm hoping that's all that indicates. having loosened them months ago, and the door still hitting, maybe not.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I can be a real duffus... The cracks were in the paint. I do have the problem of the head door hitting the cabinetry. The PO over tightened the shrouds, and so I'm hoping that's all that indicates. having loosened them months ago, and the door still hitting, maybe not.
I don’t know...that first picture you posted looks like more than cracks in paint...

1609689896449.jpeg

Greg