Torqeedo questions

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
They also have an option called TorqTrak to interface your phone with the Torqeedo's onboard computer.

The upgrade for your on-board computer. TorqTrac uses Bluetooth to transmit information from the data bus of your Torqeedo motor to your smartphone, where it's not just clearly displayed, it's merged with map information from Google Maps, enabling you to see in real time just how far you can still travel. You can also enter waypoints and view your expected time of arrival at your destination.

That said, rowing is a good strength and cardio workout :waycool:

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I have had my Torqeedo for several years, and am on the original battery. Performance of the battery still seems to be very good.
I don't doubt it. 90% of the guys that I know that own then are relatively high-net-worth guys that use them to push around their 24-28 foot sportboats. None of them I'm sure cares much for caring for the battery to maximize life. They ride them hard then put them away wet. When it starts to give up, they order a new one.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
While I've seen more Torqueedos in my sailing, less noticed but perhaps showing up at dinghy docks in great numbers are trolling motors. In fact I've seen more than one trolling motor system that incorporates a small solar panel on the battery and an automatic bilge pump. Caveat: My harbors are seasonal coastal sailboats on moorings that require a dinghy to access. That dinghy will be towed (99.9% tow along the coast of Maine). I can't think of many instances where someone has to travel a long distance at high speed in a dinghy, here.
I would suspect that the high number of trolling motors reflects the reality of the price difference between a Torqeedo and a trolling motor. The Torqeedo is a considerable investment, but worth it for some, like me, who live aboard and cruise. A solar panel is available for use on the Torqeedo, but, again, not cheap.
Another difference between the Torqeedo and a trolling motor is that you can drop the Torqeedo under water without hurting it. Gotta love that German engineering.
While the Torqeedo can be used at high speed, I don't see that as a practical use of the motor. Your range will suffer dramatically. My Torqeedo won't plane my Walker Bay 8, but then my Mercury 3hp wouldn't either. I'll bet it would have planed my old Zodiac 9' inflatable, though.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
I'm asking all these questions because I had to go from a 4HP Nissan 4 stroke to something lighter because it was getting more and more challenging to get it from the storage mount on the rail onto the dingy transom.
That was another reason I bought the Torqeedo. Getting the Mercury 3hp from the pushpit rail, down the transom steps, and onto the dinghy transom was becoming more of a PIA, especially in rough conditions. Now I just lay out the components of the outboard on the cockpit seat and carry them one at a time onto the dinghy and snap them together. For storage, I secure the leg and motor to the old motor mount on the rail, and the battery and tiller are stored in the aft cabin. The leg and motor can also be stored on the aft cabin cushions, since it is clean, with no oil or grease to ruin anything.

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
The batteries for the Traveler series are not LiFePo or LiPo. They are LiIon. Different with different pros and cons. Life expectancy should be between the other two. That being said, every single person I know that has a Traveler is on their 2nd battery.
Well, un-regard my previous misinformed comments...

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Good comments and feedback for sure, I suspect most abuse their equipment. I work daily with LiPo, so I typed it without realizing I was wrong after reading LiIon on the websites.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
With regard to the Torqeedo, I've thought about getting one for several years. Every time we go somewhere and the outboard is required, I have to lug gas along. Since it is 2-cycle, that means an oil mixture. It's hard to use up all the gas-oil mix every year and thee is always some left over. Don't like putting it in the car tank or the lawnmower.

Since we've got a couple 130W solar panels, on a sunny day the batteries (4-golf carts) are normally topped off by around 11 am so there is opportunity to dump excess power into a Torqeedo battery. If we're under way via power then the alternator can recharge the battery. Our dingy, Avon roll-up, is reasonably easy to row so no big deal if not enough battery power.

It'd be neat to have solar panels on the dingy seats, ones that one can sit on, with a MPPT controller and charger under, so when it's being towed or at the dock there could be some charging taking place. Oh, and a "Find my dingy" app in the event it gets stolen.

Wife idea: A hinged solar panel for the seat that opens up to double in size when not sat on. Back side of one of the panels can be used for sitting on.

Last edited:
Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Today that seems to be less important. Rowing as a means of tender propulsion has held it's own on our coast and could be on an upswing, but I can be dangerously optimistic.
Tom - what a beautiful National Geographic-type picture [ed: post #12]!
Rowing is very nautical. Also sculling but don't see many people doing it anymore.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Also sculling but don't see many people doing it anymore.
:plus:

I was very interested in the Torqeedo, but way out of my price range. I have a 86lb thrust trolling motor on the way. Newport Vessels claims it is about equal to a 1.5hp outboard (27lbs). If I keep a smaller pair of batteries for a tender (2 at about 30lbs. each) and a larger set on-board Dragonfly, I should be able to use the motor for both Dragonfly's aux and a small tender's motor to reach the dinghy dock and back. A sculling oar (yuloh) is what I expect to use most of the time.
There are other electric outboards on the market that exceed the Torqeedo's power. https://www.elcomotoryachts.com/electric-outboard-motors/

"Elco’s line of electric outboard motors include the EP-5, EP-9.9, EP-14, EP-20, EP-30 and EP-50, with motors available in long- or short-shaft models and with tiller or remote steering. Whether you’re fishing inland lakes in a skiff, cruising the coast in a stately center-console, or plying the seas in a blue-water sailboat, Elco Motor Yachts has an outboard motor that will suit your needs."
the number designation indicates hp. (I don't think I've ever heard a center-console described as "stately" before).

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
That said, rowing is a good strength and cardio workout :waycool:
Yes it is. Coastal sailing is a sedentary pastime and the exercise of rowing is half the reason we do it. It's a 1/3 of a NM from the docks to our mooring. During the season I make the run out and back often same as a familiar walking route with the dogs. But during a few weeks onboard you put on some miles rowing several times a day. When I want exercise rowing, my Nav app clocks me at about 3 knots, not working too hard.

Not only is it good cardio, rowing strengthens your core- stomach muscles, which is good therapy for back problems, something I've had experience with when on the boat for a long stretch. Plus it's good for 'bingo wings'. :)

#5 James and Mary  (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Not only is it good cardio, rowing strengthens your core- stomach muscles, which is good therapy for back problems, something I've had experience with when on the boat for a long stretch. Plus it's good for 'bingo wings'. :)
It apparently keeps you young too!! :wink3:

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Some friends with a Torqueedo.
Jack Barbara Moore.jpg

Not in this photo, these folks have a roughly 2' by 3' solar panel mounted on their dinghy davits on the stern.

They have no refrigeration (not uncommon in Maine with ice easily available), so they often have too much power to deal with and the Torqueedo onboard can usually use it. I could see them actually go for joy rides just to use up excess watts.

I suspect most Torqueedo's will be found on hard dinghy's like their Fatty Knees tender, above. Easily pushed and pleasant at half speed, my friends can go pretty much as far as they want in their tender. The Torqueedo stays onboard the big boat as they'll row often.

I haven't seen as many Torqueedo's on inflatables(the # is growing though).

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
Reading this thread has got me rethinking electric again. I recently bought larger solar panels for the boat, so this Spring I’ll have over 400 rated watts. That should give me a surplus unless we have extended cloud cover.
I downsized from a 60 pound dinghy motor to a 30 pound Suzuki 2hp a few years ago for ease of mount and dismount. I don’t miss planing. Really good BTW (better than the Honda 2hp). But (like the Honda) it kicks back on the starter rope once in a while and can hurt my hand, and my wife fears it for that reason.
The post above that mentioned ease of starting makes me realize that could be a game changer for my wife.
A770BADB-3606-48E5-8E25-C5E0EBA6776C.jpeg

Last edited:
Jun 14, 2010
snip
The post above that mentioned ease of starting makes me realize that could be a game changer for my wife.
View attachment 161865
Answering my own post, I checked prices and a Torqeedo is more than twice the cost of my Suzuki, and even though I use (expensive) TruFuel it costs less than $50/year in dinghy fuel. Assuming a 10-year Torqeedo battery life, the electric will still cost more, initially and ongoing. The Torqeedo has a lot of pluses, but also some minuses - any marina can fix a gas motor, and range anxiety is not so much an issue.
The question is how much is it worth? I think I'll keep being the one who pulls the start cord, for now ... if I go away she'll sell the boat anyway. ;)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Last winter my 2 stroke was half dead with parts costing over $500+ to repair so I did a serious look at outboards and moving to electric. Torqeedo seemed in the running but not on my O'Day 25 for my comfort and sailing abilities, then I contacted Elco and work with them on what I needed to do. Their 5hp would be perfect for my lake only O'Day 25, but the added cost of the battery packs, harness and new charging system increased the estimate almost $2k with shipping to Alabama. Plus it adds a pretty significant amount of weight in battery packs, well above the normal fuel tank I carry. In the end I went with a brand new Tohatsu 6hp 25" ulta long shaft: sail pro model, with free shipping for under $1,400. I sold my old 2 stroke for parts for $200, and my 3 year old Tohatsi 6hp short shaft for $750 and called it a day.

:plus:
"Elco’s line of electric outboard motors include the EP-5, EP-9.9, EP-14, EP-20, EP-30 and EP-50, with motors available in long- or short-shaft models and with tiller or remote steering. Whether you’re fishing inland lakes in a skiff, cruising the coast in a stately center-console, or plying the seas in a blue-water sailboat, Elco Motor Yachts has an outboard motor that will suit your needs."

Dec 24, 2011
Is there any way to secure a Torqeedo Travel while on a dinghy to keep it from being stolen?
How do owners deal with security? It seems like there are a few expensive parts, (like the battery) that would be a temping target to lift while taking a walk on shore.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Is there any way to secure a Torqeedo Travel while on a dinghy to keep it from being stolen?
How do owners deal with security? It seems like there are a few expensive parts, (like the battery) that would be a temping target to lift while taking a walk on shore.
The clamps can be secured with a long padlock to keep the lower half of the outboard where it belongs. The battery is secured to the unit with a long plastic rod, but the company did not provide a way of locking it. I use a small padlock on a stainless steel tether to keep anyone from sliding the rod out easily. This has worked well to keep the whole outboard secure for short periods. If I am leaving the Torqeedo for longer periods, I will remove the tiller and battery and carry them in a shoulder bag.

Jun 14, 2010
The clamps can be secured with a long padlock to keep the lower half of the outboard where it belongs. The battery is secured to the unit with a long plastic rod, but the company did not provide a way of locking it. I use a small padlock on a stainless steel tether to keep anyone from sliding the rod out easily. This has worked well to keep the whole outboard secure for short periods. If I am leaving the Torqeedo for longer periods, I will remove the tiller and battery and carry them in a shoulder bag.
This is another downside. It's like leaving a Macbook Pro in your dinghy, secured by a plastic rod. A suitable size aluminum lock box could be padlocked/chained in the dinghy. It would be secure enough to deter an opportunistic thief and would keep the battery and tiller out of sight. Might be better than lugging the battery in a backpack. (Not saying it would thwart a deliberate thief who has tools).