Replacing Hurth transmission

Mar 28, 2014
Catalina 30 Hyde Park NY
It looks as though I am going to have to remove/replace the transmission on my Catalina 30 driven by a Universal 25XPB.
Question, Do I have to remove the sink unit ?
Can I remove the transmission while in the water, can the shaft be slid back to allow the transmission to be removed ?

Many thanks,

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
If your stuffing box is in good shape, you should be able to remove the tranny while the boat is in the water. I just did that with a Chris Craft with a much larger engine. I assume there is enough room to move the shaft back far enough to clear the spline, etc.

Jan 18, 2016
Catalina 387 Dana Point
Yup, remove the sink cabinet. It's pretty easy and it'll give you so much more room to work. One of the nice things about a C-30 is the engine access with the sink gone.

Pretty sure if you google it there's some info out there on where the screws all are.

Mar 28, 2014
Catalina 30 Hyde Park NY
Thanks to all, the transmission is now out, bit of diffulty removing the middle Port side bolt as the case is so close, eventually as a twelve point socket could not be aligned and kept slipping off, used a six point and lo and behold it came off !
I have to find someone to overhaul it now....any suggestions, I am in the North East?

RichB

Oct 8, 2006
Hunter 23 Winter Park, Fl. h23
Just yesterday called Foley. Spoke with Dr. Diesel. Had a very short conversation in which he mentioned that they always advise to buy a new Hurth instead of remanufacture. You MUST email drdiesel@foleyengines.com with complete specs. That is the ONLY way they handle Hurth/ZF inquiries... goodbye! But they are probably the best source. Plus you can get other diesel engine parts. I was impressed that Dr. Diesel was soo very busy.

Aug 5, 2016
Catalina Capri 22 Cambridge
The Hurth HBW 10/ZF12M is very easy to rebuild if you have a press. Seal kits that include a thrust ring are readily available for little money, approx $50. The forward thrust ring is usually what gets worn and the forward/reverse clutch disks can be swapped. ie move forward clutch disks to reverse clutch disk position and reverse to forward. I have also heard of just turning the thrust ring around instead of replacing it. The bearings are the same as used in trailer wheel hubs and are about $9 each times 4 bearings but they don't usually require replacing.

CYQK

Sep 11, 2009
beneteau first 42 kenora
AVOID FOLEY
The kit they sent me was crap and Dr. Diesel was a rude jerk!!!
Sent mine to a shop in Amboy New Jersey
Rick Neary's East Coast Transmission
These folks did nice work!!

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
I did this job on our former boat. Since you are further along, this won't help, but I used a deflated soccer ball under the oil pan with the rear mount nuts off. I inflated the ball to raise the rear of the engine ( coupling already disconnected and pushed back). I was able to get the tranny out without removing the cabinet but it was tight. I did rebiuld the tranny with a kit from MER in Washington state - really good to deal with. When I reassembled, I added lock washers to the interior bell housing/tranny connection. This caused a problem in reverse and had to disassemble again to remove. I wasn't sure if the shaft play was normal or I had caused a rebuild problem. I ended up buying a NEW Twindisc tranny for the same price as a 2nd hand rebuilt. Fit the same, worked the same- loved it because it was new and I didn't inherit some old problem on a rebuild. A few years later I need to fix a cracked head and did remove the cabinet. Finding all the screws takes most of the time.

Sep 23, 2009
O'Day 34-At Last Rock Hall, Md
Several excellent you tube videos. Not hard nor long to rebuild although you need access to a press.

Apr 26, 2018
Catalina Catalina 30 Bayview
When I did mine, I replaced with PRM60. Call Mike at Harbor Marine in Everett WA. Was a better option then rebuilding, less money when all is said and done.