Stand up cruisers

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Hi all,

While anchored here in Georgetown I’ve noticed more cruisers standing up while riding their dinghy. Does anyone have any research stating improved abilities while operating in this manner. I’ll check with the locals to get some opinions.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Hi all,

While anchored here in Georgetown I’ve noticed more cruisers standing up while riding their dinghy. Does anyone have any research stating improved abilities while operating in this manner. I’ll check with the locals to get some opinions.
Keeps them dry:doh:

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
like skiing, skate boarding, surfing, .................. it's just fun! that's all, just fun

not for everyone.
try it, you might like it, it takes good 'sea legs'

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Our RIB has a "granny bar" and I always stand with one hand on the granny bar when we go in with the dogs, especially in the morning for "first" when condensation has made the tubes wet. I take up last room, visibility is better, and more comfortable.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
A fast ride over bumpy water can be injurious to the spine of a sitting boater. When standing, have the ankles and knees slightly flexed and ready to absorb the shocks. If I'm the passenger in a small dinghy with a madman at the tiller, I will lift my butt off the sitting surface with my arms and let elbows and shoulders flex to protect my spine.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
Checked with some local cruisers for answers that were different. One reply was it was easier to get to plane standing. One lost his wife overboard. (Hmmm) One had bad knees and used a granny bar. I hadn’t heard the spine issues, but we sit on the tubes and adjust the weight by leaning. Mostly all held on to the painter and several had webbing.

We only stand if it’s calm/wet traveling at idle speed. Folks here are moving along at a brisk speed and a foot of chop. Seems to be prevalent here in Georgetown.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
In my opinion, it is about the stupidest thing one can do, especially if it is just to keep your butt dry. To me, it's about the same as driving a car w/o a seat belt. I can't even imagine what would happen if one ran into a plastic bag or chunk of wood at planing speeds.
As for visibility, I doubt those folks are deeply concentrating on the water directly ahead of them any more than those of us who sit down, but more on how cool they think they look. And they certainly can't make any radical turns or slow down very quickly should they see something they need to avoid.
When I had Boston Whalers as dinks or drove cigarettes I worried about my spine, but on an inflatable, I think that's like worrying about sleeping head to bow on your sailboat.
I've been driving inflatables since 1971 and have never seen the need to stand up and drive one, unless I'm searching for something and need the height to see into the water, and never at planing speeds.

May 25, 2012
capta, i resemble your remarks. but your wrong. i do many things way more stupid than that. motorcycling, skate boarding, four wheel drifts around corners in my roadster, snowmobiling wide open, .................

a great motto for some, but not all

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
That you in the cockpit? If so, I envy you. But I made my choice to be a two-dimensional captain, and don't regret it.
As for a motto, "I'll not lie on my deathbed regretting the things I did not do." works OK for me.

May 25, 2012

P47. the guy in the photo is the pilot that flew that plane in WWII. very 'bad ass' i think.
i have a copy of that plane in my RC plane hanger
as a young pup skiing 'no guts no glory' was our rallying cry for trying head walls way beyond our skill level.
i have done way more stupid stuff than most. :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
P47... the A10 of WWII. Somewhere I heard it described as the tank of the sky's. Pilots liked the P47's survivability.
The Timex motto comes to mind... Takes a licking and keeps on ticking..

P51 was faster and had a greater range (especially with the drop tanks) but was a bit of a fragile bird. The Merlin engine, being water cooled, was one of the weak points not suffered by the P47. Both great planes that took pilots with guts to wrestle about the skies.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I now have a 9.5 ft inflatable rib of aluminum (double) hull w/8 hp Honda 4-stroke. I do just the opposite. I get down on the (flat) floor all of the way forward with a throttle extender in hand, to plane the boat. The dink planes at 15 kt full out, so I don’t wish to be high up where I might bounce out or otherwise lose control of it. It’s not usually wet on the floor; keeping dry not a problem.

Last edited:

Bob J.

Apr 14, 2009
Sabre 28 NH
A fast ride over bumpy water can be injurious to the spine of a sitting boater. When standing, have the ankles and knees slightly flexed and ready to absorb the shocks.
Coming from someone that's had back surgury, I rather have my butt on a tube than flexing my knees to absorb the shock. Cause if I could absorb the shock, I still be a powerboater chasing fish. The motion of a sailboat is what allows me to stay out on the water instead of looking out at the boats in the harbor & wishing I was there.

Last edited:
May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I agree sit on the tubes or floor. Just plain asking to play Superman and fly into the water.