Free Alberg 25

Jul 13, 2010
Precision 23 Perry Hall,Baltimore County
Just throwing this out there. I didn't see the add but apparently someone is giving away an Pearson 25 on South Jersey Craigslist. Note, it is a Pearson, I tried to correct the title, can't change it.

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
You know, there's this saying, "There's no such thing as a free boat." I wonder who's the next fool who won't listen?

Nov 26, 2012
Hunter 34 Berkeley
Be careful. We have a few of these “free “ or very cheap boats for sale on Craigslist here and I don’t buy it (no pun intended). Someone is up to no good.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
List a boat for sale on Craigslist and you'll have an offer from some guy saying he'll pay more than your asking if you can just tell him the bank account # to send the money.

I gave him a bank account # in the Caymans and got a reply back that he was having trouble with the access.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
List a boat for sale on Craigslist and you'll have an offer from some guy saying he'll pay more than your asking if you can just tell him the bank account # to send the money.

I gave him a bank account # in the Caymans and got a reply back that he was having trouble with the access.
As Gomer Pyle would say, "Go-olly, does that sort of thing really happen?" Who'd pay more than someone was asking for a boat AND who's the fool who would believe it? Of course, I'm just waiting for my lotto win notice from a lawyer in Nigeria or Burkina Faso!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
My daughter was selling cloth on Craig's list and some guy wanted it. He sent a check. The check was for more than the cloth. My daughter asked him about that. He said, he was traveling, but owed a guy some money and wanted her to wire the difference to that guy for him. (There was an extra $200 there for her) It was ok if she waited for the check to clear her account first. The check was from some medical institute. The check passed the first level of bank back checking, but when we explained what was going on, the bank ran a second level check and it came back a fraud.
They would have approved the amount, credited it to my daughter's account, given her money to send for a wire transfer, then taken the money back from her account when they found out later it was a bad check. The scam relies on the built in inefficiencies of money transfers between banks.
When the guy didn't see the wired money come through, he started texting about thievery and calling the cops. We ignored him and he went away. His given address was real, but the house showed as unoccupied via a real estate search. The actual owner's name was close but not exact to the one given. The institute check was from a completely different part of the country. The company the wire was to go to had a Web site claiming to be a Chinese company that sold security cameras. It was a pretty elaborate setup

-Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Just throwing this out there. I didn't see the add but apparently someone is giving away an Pearson 25 on South Jersey Craigslist. Note, it is a Pearson, I tried to correct the title, can't change it.
Looks like an Ariel. If so, it was designed by Carl Alberg.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston

I had an item on CL this past week. Got one of those "What is the lowest you will accept" emails. So I quoted $2,000 for an item that I had listed for $100. He said, "Great, I'll have my agent pick it up..... bla bla bla bla..."

:laugh:

Dec 1, 1999
Hunter 28.5 Chesapeake Bay
Alberg designed many of the Pearson line, but the Pearson 25 (also called the Triton 25), was designed by Mull.

The Triton 25 is a development of the US Yachts US 25 and the Buccaneer 250, with the Triton 25 actually built from tooling and molds purchased from US Yachts.[1]

The Pearson Yachts series of Triton boats were named for the Alberg Triton, which had been introduced in 1958.[1]
Yes, indeed, the Pearson Triton 25 was a Mull design. But Alberg also designed the 25.5 ft Ariel for Pearson. I tend to think the boat pictured is an Ariel. See these pics of an Ariel:

upload_2019-2-25_9-38-45.jpeg