Stop thief!

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
I've lived in New Jersey for 30 years and can't think of a single incident of theft or vandalism at home, auto, boat or any property that I can think of. I rarely lock anything anymore. (well, I do lock the office door every night when I'm last to leave - company appreciates it) Trust would seem to be the most effective deterrent! That, and not having any ostentatious possessions, I suppose. I seem to always run into honest people when I misplace my wallet or cell phone. I doubt we have any issues at our marina. Live under a lucky star.

Jun 14, 2010
Robertson & Caine 2017 Leopard 40 CT
This is what I installed on the mast as well as inside my vessel.
HD Game Trail Hunting Deer Wildlife Cam 16MP 1080P 0.6S
Trigger Motion Activated
No Glow Infrared 65Ft Night Version
IP66 Waterproof
COST$$ Almost Free! Just notify insurance company and they will give you a discount for using it!
Hmmm. That camo-colored case is gonna fool 'em. Who'd ever notice that on a boat? ;)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I have been fortunate that my boat has not been chosen as a target for the sticky finger club.

I heard about a boat owner who thought someone had boarded his boat and removed the new jib sheets that he had placed in the cockpit. But turned out that he placed them somewhere else. Yet upon looking in the last place he searched he suddenly found them.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I have been fortunate that my boat has not been chosen as a target fro the sticky finger club.

I heard about a boat owner who thought someone had boarded his boat and removed the new jib sheets that he had placed in the cockpit. But turned out that he placed them somewhere else. Yet upon looking in the last place he searched he suddenly found them.
Hey! I resemble that. However, I didn't find them until I sprung for new ones. (That's embarrassing.)

I actually did have an electric outboard lifted from the dink right after we bought our current boat. Whoever lifted it likely had a gate key which limited it to about 50 slips.

Ken

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
One of the funniest I've ever heard. In a marina I was visiting.

boat had a speaker up on the spreaders, and a mat on cockpit floor with step sensitive contacts

If some one stepped on the cockpit floor, a VERY loud speaker began-

"Help, help, Boat so and so in slip X is being robbed"

Over and over til some one, I suppose a friend , went and shut it down. Probably quite effective :)

Feb 12, 2019
1984 Hunter 24 & Skipper2 H24 Port Aransas Texas
One positive thing about allowing live aboards in marinas! #freesecurity

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
We're still in La La land here, but I fear it will come to an end. A few outboards got lifted last season, a first heist anyone can remember.

It's going to be the easy stuff at the docks - quick $$$ for someone looking for a fix - that will be a target. I haven't heard of a boat in the harbor being robbed.
Rockport Harbor aerial .jpg

I rarely lock the boat, never the house, leave the keys in the car (which is dumb but our cars are old!).

I restored an old house and barn across the street. The owners wanted to do a new and used bookstore, as a hobby. I suggested they do a self serve check out: leave a check, cash or IOU in a lock box.

It's worked out fine with no thefts or problems, so far.

This old place was uninhabited and dark for 30 years.
BS Books Holiday on the Harbor 2017 2.jpg

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
We're still in La La land here, but I fear it will come to an end. A few outboards got lifted last season, a first heist anyone can remember.

It's going to be the easy stuff at the docks - quick $$$ for someone looking for a fix - that will be a target. I haven't heard of a boat in the harbor being robbed.
View attachment 161527
I rarely lock the boat, never the house, leave the keys in the car (which is dumb but our cars are old!).

I restored an old house and barn across the street. The owners wanted to do a new and used bookstore, as a hobby. I suggested they do a self serve check out: leave a check, cash or IOU in a lock box.

It's worked out fine with no thefts or problems, so far.

This old place was uninhabited and dark for 30 years.
View attachment 161528
That why I keep my STARGAZER11 here at Rockport Harbor. We look out for each other. Also, the harbor is monitored with cams now which is good too. Nice pictures TomY.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
After locking my keys in the cabin one night I started leaving my cabin unlocked. Not a whole lot in there to take anyway. The outboard has a cable lock and I’ve never had the key. The boat itself is only tied. Anyone could take the boat from the slip easily even if the cabin were locked. So far no vandalism at our club.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
After locking my keys in the cabin one night I started leaving my cabin unlocked. Not a whole lot in there to take anyway. The outboard has a cable lock and I’ve never had the key. The boat itself is only tied. Anyone could take the boat from the slip easily even if the cabin were locked. So far no vandalism at our club.
Exactly why I got a combination lock !

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
I keep cable locks on the dinghy, outboard, MAGA grill, and padlock on the hatch. All hatches locked. Seems like everyone under 30 here is a tweeker or h addict. Until that wall is built, I'm keeping stuff locked.
Where did you buy your MAGA grill.. I would like to buy one to go along with my MAGA red hat!! LOL

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I've heard of an outboard or two being stolen in our marina, but nothing too pervasive. The marina is locked with a gate, although the combination might be one of the better known secrets in town. In our previous marina in New Jersey I never heard of anything going missing in decades. We've always locked the cabin and main lazarette, although we do that knowing it's just keeping the honest people honest, not stopping anyone with so much as a bolt cutter.

The marina where we store the boat on the hard in winter does 24/7 staff patrols, and they recommend we keep the boat unlocked for that reason
I don't know how I'd feel about that. I think I'd rather just give the marina a key or the combination to a combo lock (which we do), than leave it open to anyone. Yes it's harder for the marina to track that, and I guess you want them able to get onboard quickly and easily if it looks like it's taking on water, but still...