Another fire and likely avoidable death

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
The story said it was the second fire at that Marina this year. Can't help but wonder if some bad actors are at play.

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
The first one was a big fishing vessel last October or November. I don’t remember the cause. They think the cause of this one was from a wood stove. The person was a live aboard. I doubt there was any fowl play. The fire really wasn’t that big and was almost put out by bystanders and fire extinguishers.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Hey all who live in cold areas (or even those who don’t) please please please please please make sure you have a working smoke/CO detector in your boat. We are talking about $40 here.

Juice

https://www.ktva.com/story/39977606/sailboat-fire-in-seward-harbor-leaves-1-dead
Agreed. If you read the 2019 Extream Winter Cruise - you’ll see our CO alarms went off while in Saturna. Change in wind direction brought generator and furnace exhaust into the cabin. The two independent alarms went off within minutes of each other. Airing out the cabin was fun with 24 degrees 20+ wind and snowing. Cold for a bit there.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Hey all who live in cold areas (or even those who don’t) please please please please please make sure you have a working smoke/CO detector in your boat. We are talking about $40 here.

Juice

https://www.ktva.com/story/39977606/sailboat-fire-in-seward-harbor-leaves-1-dead
When we bought our boat, it had no alarms. The dogs woke us up one morning about 2AM to a cabin full of smoke. We had been storing paper towels in the microwave, since we never used it. Apparently, the microwave had turned on when we plugged into shore power, and eventually, the towels caught fire. Next day, the micro went into the dumpster and I walked to the hardware store and bought smoke and CO alarms.

Apr 7, 2016
Beneteau First 305 Seward, Alaska
It was one of the first things that I did when I bought my previous boat. One night our heater flame chocked out and filled the cabin with smoke. The alarm woke my wife and me up. We would be dead today had I not had a co detector. So yes, I am a true believer.

Last edited: