First 20 Tilting Tabernacle installation kit

Feb 19, 2019
Beneteau First 20 Santa Cruz, CA
Just curious if anyone has ever installed a tilting mast/tabernacle on a Beneteau First 20?

I recently ordered the option kit direct from Beneteau but was baffled to find there were no service manuals or instructions. The best I got was a crude drawing with notes written in French; no dimension where to drill/rivet.

Any thoughts/guidance?

Attachments

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Hi Betty!

That sheet does not mention mounting the mast tabernacle; so I suppose the instructions pre-suppose it is already mounted? Who was your dealer?

Feb 19, 2019
My dealer was Passage Nautical (Point Richmond, CA) but I purchased the option direct from
http://spareparts.beneteauusa.com/

The kit did include the mast tabernacle, a spinnaker boom, and a mast support to install on the transom but no additional instruction. I guess I assumed the 4 T-20 screw mounts for the fixed tabernacle would work for the tilting assembly (Should I not have??). I think the real problem is there are no indications where to drill the hook holes on the mast or where to place the transom support mounts. This makes me nervous as I'm not looking to depreciate the structural integrity of the mast or aft beam.

Nov 8, 2010
Hi @TheBettyWhitecap ,

It looks like the kit intends you to swap the default base (with its wider base and aft pivoting pin) with the small base designed to be used with the tilting mast step.

Is there any chance that the screw holes of the old base and the tall step line up? That would help!

I'd assume that the best way to do this (and what a dealer would do) is to raise the mast, and them mount the new step around the base. Mark the mast for the holes aligning to the slot. Then drop the mast and drill and mount everything.

210 mast base.png

210 mast parts.png

PS - Its a great boat. I've been on the older 210 many times, and currently sail a 260, which is the same hull as the First 25s but with a 9/10s rig with a traditional mainsail. We love it.

Feb 19, 2019
Thanks, Jack!

I did finally get in touch with the SC office. They are reaching out to the manufacturer in France to see if there is any other information they can provide. That being said, I may end up doing exactly what you articulated to ensure everything aligns properly.

You're spot on in that it's a great little boat. I mostly use it to get me to remote surf spots just outside the Monterey bay. We finally got berthing in Santa Cruz, but need to install the tilting mast in order to get under the local bridge.

Nov 8, 2010
You're spot on in that it's a great little boat. I mostly use it to get me to remote surf spots just outside the Monterey bay. We finally got berthing in Santa Cruz, but need to install the tilting mast in order to get under the local bridge.
Ah. Now the need for the kit makes a lot more sense. Like most small Benis, the 20 has a very long mast for its length, and the raised cabin slider means that the mast cannot lay parallel to the deck with the base attached to the standard foot.

Feb 13, 2019
Beneteau 21 Loup City, NE
I hope you'll keep us up to date as I'm facing exactly the same questions about a First 211 Classic I'm considering.