New Owner O'day 25

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
Go with a MSD with pump out option and save a ton of money and complexity. @Peggie Hall HeadMistress is your new best friend in this area.
Hi JK...As long as John has taken my name in vain here, I decided to jump in. If you're wondering what John means by "MSD with pumpout option," this explains it:
On any boat much smaller than about 28', a self-contained system—an "MSD" portapotty-- makes a lot of sense. The "MSD" designation in the model name/number means it has fittings for a pumpout line and vent line, and is designed to be permanently installed (actually just sturdier brackets than portables, so you could still take it off the boat if you absolutely have to), which means that although it's still called a PORTApotty, you don't have to carry anything off the boat to empty it.
A 5-6 gallon model holds 50-60 flushes...you'd need at least a 30 gal tank to hold that many from a manual marine toilet. No plumbing needed except a vent line and pumpout hose--so no new holes in the boat...and -0- maintenance needed except for rinsing out the tank--which you can do with a bucket while it's being pumped out. Total cost including the pumpout hose and vent line is about $200--a fraction of what you'd spend for toilet, tank and all the related plumbing needed. And the best part is, you have all the advantages of a toilet and holding tank without giving up a single square foot of storage space.
Check out the Thetford 550P MSD and the Dometic/SeaLand 975MSD Sanipottie.

--Peggie

Jan 29, 2019
O'day 25 Virginia
Peggie,

Thank you very much for that very helpful information. I honestly had no idea what do about the head. There is already a pumpout port on the deck of the boat (thank god). I need to look a the one that is on the boat and see what I can find out about it. I imagine its quite old so Ill replace it, With as much tear down as Im doing I want to do it right the first time. Ounce of prevention pound of cure kind of deal.

Jan 29, 2019
O'day 25 Virginia
After some cleaning she is coming along nicely. Tomorrow is de-stepping and bulkhead day. Found a lumber yard in Richmond va that had everything I needed for the repair. got all the epoxy I need at least for now, went with the west system product. Found a beautiful piece of white oak for the compression post. Pics and video of tomorrow to follow. This is the head that is in the boat it seems to be in good working order. Any thoughts on this model.

Attachments

Jan 29, 2019
O'day 25 Virginia
20190218_160222.jpg
20190218_160156.jpg
20190218_160201.jpg
20190218_160206.jpg
Couple more picture of the progress. Head mostly done still need to redo the hanging locker .

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Are you sure you have a dry boat? I'd seal all that wood and edges real good.

Jan 29, 2019
O'day 25 Virginia
Found a leak on both head windows, both are Dry rotten plastic I'm deciding now if I want drop in replacements or if I want to something different. Taped the windows covered the boat with a brand new tarp. Should be okay for a Couple of days. Other than that maybe a half gallon of water in the bilge. I could see where it was leaked down to and it isn't touching the wood. But the bulkheads are glassed in now. Brought the resin line pretty far in fingers crossed