Control line purchase

letlmt

Oct 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Lake George
Hi,

What purchases are people using for their outhaul, cunninham, backstay and traveler? Are most owners just leaving them at factory standard, or is there a need/desire to increase/decrease the purchase and if so, to what ratio?

Has anyone moved the control line for the outhaul to the cabin top from the boom?

Slartibartfass

Capri 22 Mod
Dec 13, 2015
Catalina Capri 22 1139 Mamaroneck, NY
I replaced my internal factory outhaul to a 8:1 purchase as I was never able to adjust the main under load.... Left the line where it exits the boom (safer to reroute to mast but not best option if you single hand on a small boat where any weight shift effects the course...).

Feb 16, 2017
Try using a strop in lieu of a plastic sail slide at the clew. I have a 2:1 outhaul and have no problem. Now I also ease the main sheet before I ever tighten the outhaul.
This would be the same for most any boat. there is not that much load on Capri 22's.

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Try using a strop in lieu of a plastic sail slide at the clew. I have a 2:1 outhaul and have no problem. Now I also ease the main sheet before I ever tighten the outhaul.
This would be the same for most any boat. there is not that much load on Capri 22's.
"Clew strap" will give better Google hits.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
Still on shakedown sailing on my NTM 2015 Capri 22 SRWK Racing pac. The main is loose footed with a clew strap. The outhaul with 2:1 has no problems tensioning the foot even in high winds un-reefed. I am subjecting each control to high stress for that control and feeling the performance of the control. So far, the standard controls have performed as they should with no undue pressure needed to get the desired effect. Happy so far. This weekend will be reefing and hove to practice, unless the winds say go sailing.

Sep 25, 2018
The wind said GO SAILING! Took my son, his wife and my twin 10 year olds (a boy and a girl) out for their first sail. My son sailed with me in 1984 on Lake George and concluded he would never step foot on a sail boat again. something about the paddle wheel cruise boat almost side swiping us or perhaps the boom booming into his jaw as he departed the boat knocking him out splayed across the dock. Since my son violated his oath, saying he was just protecting his ass...ets, the kids, I just drifted at 2 to 4 kts on the Genoa alone. Heel 5 degrees or less, happy son. The kids found the boat to be a jungle gym, climbing all through the cabin entering and exiting through the front hatch and hanging onto the jib winches with their legs dragging through the water. They had a blast, my son got over his fear on my murdering him. Victory! son said he would do it again. I'll practice Hove To and reefing next week.

Attachments

Feb 16, 2017
Get the kids some dingy PFD'S they will be a lot more comfortable. I remember as a kid those are the most uncomfortable PFD'S you can wear....

Sep 25, 2018
Just bought them some. Didn't have time to buy before the sail as they closed the Haverstraw West Marine. Tried to buy some at the ships store at the marina, didn't have them. Tried to borrow some, no one at the marina had children's sizes. It was interesting to watch them adjust to the orange things. Even tried my adult size inflatables, way too big. They are now ready for the next sail with some comfort. I will add some discomfort by raising the main and treating them to some heel. They will probably thank me for lowering one side for them to dangle their feet without hanging off the side of the boat. Tethers next??????

Sep 25, 2018
Continued the shakedown sails this Saturday. I found the boat easily balanced sailing no hands in 8 kts wind. Could never balance my Hunter 23.5. Tried to Hove to and voila I could go below for some cold water and not worry about heading up. The wind was variable ( 4 to 8 kts) yet the boat stayed balanced with minor adjustments to out haul, vang and main halyard tension. Even moving about did not upset the balance much. Allowed me to go forward and clean up a jam in the roller furler. Next week I will work on the Genoa adjustments some more. I am very happy with the performance of this little boat and am learning to trim her easily making for very enjoyable sailing. On the way in, tested the single line reefing, worked like a charm. I should be ready to try some high wind days soon. The only glich I found was that if I pinched up wind at all, the wing keel would stall and I started sailing sideways. Fell off and it began sailing again. Sail for speed not pointing!

Sep 25, 2018
Had the high wind day last Saturday. Winds started good at 8 knts falling off to 3. Tried ghosting and was able to get 3 knots with little wind. Then the squall hit. 35 knt winds and driving rain. The genoa jammed leaving a small patch of headsail the size of a storm jib. Fortunate actually. I fixed the rudder, quickly reefed the main and the boat went into irons holding into the wind with sails flapping but the boat steady and stable. It drifted into a hove to position without my thinking about it. I was impressed with the handling in what I thought might be my last moments on earth. No time to put the PFD on or the tether. just hung on and waited for the squall to pass. Never in 15 years of sailing on the Hudson river have I encountered a squall like that. Of course I only sail when the weather is favorable and never when thunder storms are likely to present themselves. Day sailors have that luxury.