Hunter 170 Shock cord, Do you think this will work?

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Behold...

A custom Hunter 170 Centerboard Restrainer

The one i had rotted so i used the existing hardware to fabricate a new one.

Supplies:
3/8 Marine Shock Cord
Hog Tie Pliers
(2) Stainless Steel Snap Hooks
Stainless Steel 3/8 Shock Cord Hog Tie Clamps

Make eyes in shockcord so that the hooks are about 15" apart.

Attachments

Sep 5, 2018
Hunter 170 Northfield, NJ
So I think I have identified the ends you show in the picture.
My local ACE hardware has the next 2 sizes up so I could guess at the correct part number. They size them by the rope hole. The next size up is 3" long and from the picture yours are just over 2" long.

Here I what it appears to be :
Campbell T7631404 Rigid Quick Snap, Stainless Steel, Polished, 3/8" Round Eye, 9/32" Opening, 2-5/32" Length, 90 lbs Load Capacity

It turns out West Marine sells a small package of stainless hog rings for like $2 and it is $1 a foot for 3/8 shock cord at my local ACE.

Sep 5, 2018
I got the snaps in and the one I listed above matches what you have in the picture size wise. These say Malaysia on the side you see in the above picture. Length wise my made up shock cord matches the size on the tape measure.

Been doing my best to involve my sons, had my 14 year old help me make it.

Thanks!!

Apr 16, 2017
Federation NCC-1701 Riverside
Fantastic!

I made one before with home depot shock cord and it disintegrated in less than a year once left on the deck in FL sunshine. Im hoping "marine" shock cord is better.

i used an anglers knot versus hogtie rings and the knots helds up great but it didnt look as attractive as the rings. Nice to know where to find new snap clips.

Sep 5, 2018
I was wondering about the life of shock cords.
For $2 I figured it was worth a shot. Mine will be kept inside a lot of the time so I expect a longer life. Since I am on a trailer the cord will be in a bag or under a cover and there is the the whole winter thing.

Sep 5, 2018
So I happen to look at my jib and found this bungee cord wrapped around it. That was where I found it when I got the boat. Did not realize I had it till just tonight.

Any thoughts?

Attachments