Raritan PHII Leaking Around Joker Valve Flange

Feb 7, 2016
Outbound 46 Cruising
Hi,

I have a PHII that has provided great service for six years. I recently replaced the joker valve, as periodic maintenance. I now have a substantial leak around the flange. The flange surfaces are smooth and have no scratches or gouges. I cannot find any cracks in the pump housing or discharge ell.

This seems like such a simple system, I can't for the life of me see why it doesn't seal.

Do you have any ideas?

Regards,
David Cantor
s/v Callisto

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
David, the most likely and recurring reason for this is that you tightened it too much. Back off.

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
The joker valve provides the gasket here. If it is the correct one you should not have leak. Very mysterious.

Feb 7, 2016
Outbound 46 Cruising
I did have it tightened down pretty good. I backed off the nuts to just a moderate pressure, but its still leaking.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Next possibility: take it apart completely and start over. Good luck.

Sep 29, 2008
Morgan Out Island 33 Pompano Beach
flange may be cracked...or the opposing side. These things don't last forever. Bob

Feb 7, 2016
Outbound 46 Cruising
I've had it apart and back together maybe six times. Still scratching my head...

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
It's almost a certainty that you over-tightened the screws when you put the discharge fitting back on the pump. That puts puckers in the joker valve flange--which is the gasket that seals the connection. If you catch it immediately and back it off enough--but not TOO much!--the flange/gasket should flatten out again so it can seal...but it doesn't take long for the flange to deform enough that it can take quite a while to go back to normal, if it ever does. The only immediate solution is a new joker valve...and this time tighten just barely snug...if it leaks, tighten only a little at time until you've stopped the leak. Be sure to tighten each screw the same amount each turn...don't just crank one down and then another.
You might be able to salvage this joker as a spare...put a little vegetable oil on the flange and stick it in a plastic bag...give it a week to see if it "recovers."

Feb 7, 2016
Outbound 46 Cruising
The joker valve didn't show any signs of deformation, but I put in a new one, anyway. I followed your instructions - just barely snug and tightening each bolt just a little in turn. Same symptom. As soon as I pump a few strokes into the bowl, there is a steady stream of water running out the bottom of the flange.

I have replaced joker valves several times in the past, and never seen this before. I checked again for cracks and gouges, but couldn't see anything.

This is frustrating!

David

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
You did say you "tightened it down pretty good" to start with...If backing off a bit, evenly on all the screws, didn't work (are you sure you haven't backed it off TOO far?) you likely got a joker valve that has a defective flange...'cuz the flange is the only seal. Look for a thin spot in it....or when you stand it on the flange, can you see any "daylight" under it? It wouldn't take much.

If none of the above, give Raritan tech support a call in the morning.

Btw...It wouldn't make any difference in whether a new joker valve leaks or not, but as long as we're discussing joker valves... It's not necessary for a joker valve to show any signs of deformation for it to need replacing...it should be replaced when the slit no longer is closed tightly. And when installing a new one, the slit should always be vertical. Raritan doesn't recommend joker valve with an X or + shape slit any more.

Last edited:

DarBay

Oct 24, 2011
Catalina C34 San Diego Ca
DMcantor,
Did you ever resolve your Issue? I am having the same problem now.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
If using plain water, put some water coloring in it- or use windex or something already colored. Makes it easier to track all leaks.

DarBay

Oct 24, 2011
Catalina C34 San Diego Ca
Yes, I read and followed those instructions. However it still leaks. I have tried 3 different joker valves. Still baffled

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
If the plastic retainer is bent from over tightening you will need to replace it to get a good seal

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
If another joker valve also leaks, a damaged or defective discharge fitting could be the culprit. Or that may not be where it's leaking...Try flushing colored water...a little red food coloring in a quart of water should be all you need.

--Peggie

Jan 7, 2014
Beneteau 45F5 51551 Port Jefferson
I had the same problem, I bought a new elbow and it worked. Make sure the hose is straight, and don't over tighten.

Dec 2, 1997
- - LIttle Rock
. Make sure the hose is straight,
You just reminded me of a very important point that I don't know how I managed to forget..my age must be catching up with me!
I can't count the number of times I've seen boats on which the straight discharge fitting that's shipped with most toilets has been used when what's needed in THAT installation is a 90 or a 45. Apparently it just never occurred to 'em to replace the fitting, or maybe don't even know they can...so they put the discharge hose on the straight fitting and pull it in the direction it has to go to aim it toward the tank. That's just as likely to cause the fitting to leak as over tightening it. I've even seen it cause the hose to kink. Always use a fitting that will keep the hose straight!
--Peggie