I scored a racing boat for my valentine

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I was talking to my wife about building a small boat and she has always loved the windmill. So, I went on the windmill class association site to look at plans and found a recent forum post about this boat being given away to a good home.
Resized952015121295093240.jpg
Resized952015121295111828.jpg

The owner got her from Alan Taylor who built her as a father/son project by with his dad. Apparently, Alan Taylor is a champion windmill racer and this boat has won her share of races.
I texted and the owner says I can have her and the trailer. I will pick her up in April.
Awesome.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yep! That was one of the many "winter projects" my own dad devised to keep his hair-legs out of trouble over the long days of winter. Luckily I had flown the coop by then, but my brother still talks about being pressed into service to build and later crew the Windmill.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I was talking to my wife about building a small boat and she has always loved the windmill. So, I went on the windmill class association site to look at plans and found a recent forum post about this boat being given away to a good home. View attachment 161329 View attachment 161333
The owner got her from Alan Taylor who built her as a father/son project by with his dad. Apparently, Alan Taylor is a champion windmill racer and this boat has won her share of races.
I texted and the owner says I can have her and the trailer. I will pick her up in April.
Awesome.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Maybe you should go before April. It’s not yours until it’s yours.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Maybe you should go before April. It’s not yours until it’s yours.
True.
However, we are driving to Florida in April to camp on the Peace River and the owner says April is fine.
He also has a C&C MK1 30 he wants to give away in Virginia, but I can't handle that kind of boat right now.

If it doesn't work out,:(

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Just remember to SAIL it Will!
This is my wife's boat. I'm just crew.

But, I hear ya.
This boat isn't suppose to need anything and I have a feeling this guy's straight up.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Virginia! Will, you lucky dog. What part of VA you going to be at

Dave
North Carolina. The windmill is in Greensboro. The C&C MK1 is in Virginia at Smith Mountain Lake. I would love to sail that boat home, but I can't give my Mariner the time she deserves. I'm afraid I'm not the "good home" the owner is looking to gift her to. So, she's still available to a "good home".

However, I would love to be able to plan my drive to or from Florida through your town. I'm not the one who plans the trip, I'm just the one who plots the course and makes hopeful suggestions.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Smith Mt. Lake is where I started only about an hour and half from me. I may have worked on that Windmill as there are two lakes nearby and use to travel to them. What a whoot> No excuse to come and stay with us. We are 45 minutes from Roanoke.
Dave