Time to Upgrade...?

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Hey Y'all,

Yesterday a good friend of mine sent me this link:

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d/kemah-1979-cc-29-sailboat-price-drop/6810951137.html

And I just about had a heart attack. I've ALWAYS wanted a C&C 29-2, and finally, there's one for sale not half a mile away from where my boat is docked. Now, usually, I would say, "C'mon, you've already got a boat and just sank 3k into it, don't be stupid." However, the family have also been looking to upgrade as well; mom wants a bimini and more space, dad wants a spinnaker setup (as do I), and I want a faster boat. Maybe it's time to put the Catalina up for sale...? What're your thoughts?

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Looks very well maintained. I think it needs more winches "8 barient winches in cockpit ". ;)
It's not crazy. It's a huge step up from a 25 and your family will love it. Just survey it real well. Why the price drop? The season?

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Why the price drop? The season?
I'm not sure, I'll have to find out when I go and check it out next weekend. I've seen her in the marina several times and always admired how fair she is; surveying will be important for sure!

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Some thoughts.

First about the boat. I've always like the C&C 29 series, in particular when we bought our C&34 in the mid 80s and that was on the list. Like all C&Cs of that era they were good looking boat and still are, although now 40 years on that super raked bow and transom sure looks dated.

Sailing they are quite OK. The 29 series were tender beasts, the Series 1 in particular, which was also a foot longer. The shorter series 2 a bit better. VERY headsail driven, so furlers less than ideal unless you like partially unrolling the 150.

Now what to watch out for. On the boat, the biggest enemy of all C&C are wet core. You really have to have a pro look at the deck. At least on the 29 the hull was solid glass. Also the motor.

You have to remember that even at a buy-in of $7K, this is still a 30 foot boat. Everything cost lots of money to fix or buy on a 30 foot boat, no matter of the boat is new or used. And over time you will replace everything. You should figure your operational costs will go up 2-3 times vs. your 25. If you doubt that, you are fooling yourself.

Here is a simple rule I used to deal with my 2/3 footitis, 'Never buy a boat older than the one you have' to do it. Or even close. If you want to move up, wait until a longer but newer model makes financial sense to acquire. That keeps you from falling into a money-trap experience for the gain of a few feet of LOA.

Good luck!

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I'm not sure, I'll have to find out when I go and check it out next weekend. I've seen her in the marina several times and always admired how fair she is; surveying will be important for sure!
What am I saying. You are in Texas, you don't have an offseason :)

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Looks like a fine boat .. make sure you are OK with the 5' 4" draft.. Not a bad thing on the bay but it does limit where ya going..

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Nice looking boat! Definitely have an experienced surveyor look at it. Stay objective and don't get too emotional about the boat , until the factual data is clear. Jackdaw's 2/3 footitis rule is a prudent guide!

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
food for thought: 80% of all boaters buy more boat than they can afford. we are all dreamers. then they can't afford to leave the dock, be it time or money.. look at all the full marinas on any weekend. something to ponder.

opinion.......... just my personal ........... : never been a fan of IOR race boats. they were designed to beat a rule and nothing more. they are very hard to sail well, and today PHRF is hard on them. they are squirrely, my $0.02

walt

Jun 1, 2007
Macgregor 26S Hobie TI Ridgway Colorado
How does this expense fit in with your education plans that you have mentioned in the past..

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
Just one problem. You said that you always wanted a C&C 29-2 but the boat that is being sold is the 29-1. They are totally different boats.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 340 Baytown TX
Just remember it's 40 years old. Ad says paint is new, last I checked, a professional paint job would cost about as much as their asking for the boat. It really does look in good shape inside and out. I've always liked the looks of C & C's, too. They're one of the brands on my short list of "last boat I'll buy before I retire". But, the ones from this century I've looked at have Volvo saildrives. Make sure you can insure it at a reasonable cost and it may be tough to get a loan on if you need one. And you would be a two boat owner with double slip rental and insurance until you sold your present boat.

Nov 8, 2010
Just one problem. You said that you always wanted a C&C 29-2 but the boat that is being sold is the 29-1. They are totally different boats.
Indeed good catch. You gain a foot of LOA, but get a boat with a useless rudder downwind with the kite up!

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
PS says the same thing. "The two boats have nothing in common but their names." You might be disappointed with the MKI

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Kind of strange because the manufacture date would say MK 1 but the front hatch and side ports and diesel engine say MK 2 ..

Jan 4, 2013
Catalina 270 Rochester, NY
Everyone here at the club loves their C& C 29-1 and -2. We have quite the active racing fleet. Just watch out for the engine which is probably the Atomic 4. Don't be afraid of the Atomic 4 because they can be rebuilt.

Nov 8, 2010
Kind of strange because the manufacture date would say MK 1 but the front hatch and side ports and diesel engine say MK 2 ..
Now you guy made me look. It has a nav station. Its a Mk 1.