Battery maintenance for dummies

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
I just ordered a 2qt battery filler jug I plan on keeping on board in the battery compartment. I like that it fills to the correct level and stops. How often do you all check the levels on your batteries?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My first thought is, are all batteries made the same so that "Auto level/off" feature is right for all batteries? Out of high school I worked at a gas station where we just filled that same container with tap water. Now, I wonder what that was doing to the batteries. It is probably not a problem, but I'd wonder if the water can stay clean during periods of non-use? I use a dish-soap bottle with the top that you can squirt the water into the battery.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Dave, do you leave a charger on when you close up? Just wondering if that would increase the frequency of inspections. My ProCharge is supposed to be smart so it should taper off.

Last edited:
Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
My first thought is, are all batteries made the same so that "Auto level/off" feature is right for all batteries? Out of high school I worked at a gas station where we just filled that same container with tap water. Now, I wonder what that was doing to the batteries. It is probably not a problem, but I'd wonder if the water can stay clean during periods of non-use? I use a dish-soap bottle with the top that you can squirt the water into the battery.
Valid question. They may be, or maybe the filler is adjustable. I just submitted that question to the manufacturer. They might even respond. :what:
https://www.plews-edelmann.com/products/funnels-fillers-and-measures/75-030/

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
The amount of water a battery uses and gets is based on the use of the battery, the amount of charging and access. Only YOU can determine this for YOUR bank. What anyone else does is irrelevant.
Check it every month until you know how long in between YOU can go.
The question is liking asking others "How often do you shower?"
I ain't gonna answer that one, though. :):):)
My complicated rig includes a gallon of distilled water, a plastic cup and a small funnel.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Dave, do you leave a charger on when you close up? Just wondering if that would increase the frequency of inspections. My ProCharge is supposed to be smart so it should taper off.
Yes, we leave the charger on and connect to shore power at the dock. If we don't the beer in the refrigerator will get warm.

In the spring, the batteries typically don't need to be topped off. They are fully charged and disconnected each fall, so the there is no charging. I do need to top off the batteries mid season and before the last charge in the fall.

I have a ProMariner Pronautic charger.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Yes, we leave the charger on and connect to shore power at the dock. If we don't the beer in the refrigerator will get warm.

In the spring, the batteries typically don't need to be topped off. They are fully charged and disconnected each fall, so the there is no charging. I do need to top off the batteries mid season and before the last charge in the fall.

I have a ProMariner Pronautic charger.
<envy> I need to get my fridge going. When we bought, the PO said it was the compressor. I've never checked it out.
Thanks for the info.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
I just ordered a 2qt battery filler jug I plan on keeping on board in the battery compartment. I like that it fills to the correct level and stops. How often do you all check the levels on your batteries?

I wish I could use that! I use a small funnel with a length of hose,...and a mirror on some fills.

I check the levels, top off if needed, in the spring and fall, the only time I use a 110V charger on the hard.

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
I have a couple of those battery filler jugs and have used them for several years on both of my boats and golf cart. They work great on all. Used to check my batteries every month or two but they rarely need to have water added to them and I do keep them plugged in all the time year-round at the marina. I would say they need water about once per year.
bob

May 12, 2004
Hunter Cherubini 30 New Port Richey
How often do you all check the levels on your batteries?
Once a month. At the beginning of each month I plug in for a couple of days to charge. Don't like staying plugged in full time. Too many questionable boats around me plugged in 24/7. In cooler weather level does not drop much, however, in the hotter months the water will drop a bit more but never exposes the plates. Use distilled water only. 4 T-105 6v Trojans still going strong after about 10 - 12 years.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
get a clear plastic Ketchup squirt bottle
It ain't a ketchup bottle unless it's red? :)
Not a bad idea, but why should I spend anything beyond what I have that's been working for 20 years for me?
Thanks for the idea, though.
Hmm, maybe the dollar store...

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Ditch the funnel and get a clear plastic Ketchup squirt bottle.
QUOTE]

As in post 3, save the money on the ketchup bottle and use the soap bottle for free. Put the 25 cents in the rum kitty.