The Glass half-full, or the Optimist

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I learned to sail in an Optimist Pram SFSeedWithLittlebit.jpg. While doing a little googling of rigid wing sails, I read a statement on the Wikipedia page that they have even been put on the Optimist dinghy. I then looked for a video of one. No luck, but I did find a photo
and this interesting video of a foiling Opti
. There are some pretty exciting things going on with this amazing little boat
Here is proof that, even if the Artemis can't do it, the Optimist can sail with no wind or current
For me, my optimist, named Sunflower Seed, represented independence. It wan't my introduction to sailing, but it was where I learned the basics and fell in love with it. How about you? What little boat did you have early experiences with?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
@Will Gilmore ,

I love those videos!! The stiff wing is very creative, too. I actually have only sailed an Opti once and I broke it (winds were blowing 27+, which is what I like). My favorite dinghy to sail to this day is the AMF Sunfish. I'm sure you remember my foretold experience when my uncle pushed me off the dock at the Boardwalk Marina and told me to figure it out, and that's how I learned the basics of sailing. Within a few months, I figured out how to rig the boat most efficiently, pitch and trim it to get the most speed out of it, and soon found myself sailing in small craft advisory weather (don't tell the Coast Guard ;) ) at age 15. I love it, because it's like the hull was just designed to be flat and smooth, and to climb up on a plane in any wind higher than 8 knots. They're also bulletproof; I've seen those things bashed and ripped to absolute pieces and put back together again with basic fiberglass repairs in less than a month; good as new!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I hadn't noticed that.
Darn, I thought I'd stumbled upon something. Still, pretty amazing.
I've participated in kayak slalom races in college pools. It looks like it requires a high level of athleticism. Maybe this could become an event, if it's not already.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Aug 13, 2012
Catalina 270 Ottawa
This seems to be in Switzerland. I know that in France there are many windsurfing events in pools. At the extremely high level of competition. I would not be surprised if that happens, as well, in Switzerland (just across the border).