Opinions on this Seaward 23?

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
That's a beautiful boat though. I'd carry her home on my back if I had to. :thumbup:

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Everyone is talking about the axle, but what about the tires?
And the spare tire?
What is their rating? How fast can one tow it?
How old are they? Are they weathered? Sat in the sun?

Not knowing the history of the wheel bearings and towing something any kind of distance, I'd get a spare set of bearings, maybe even install them to make sure the old ones are removable, make sure all the lug nuts can be removed, before leaving on a trip. Learn how to properly pack a wheel bearing. Changing a bearing on the road would not be my idea of having a fun trip with a new boat.

I've got an old boat trailer that I'm going to be moving later this year so these are all things I'm thinking of. Also got new tires and rims, hence the tire questions. Found out the old tires should have never been driven that fast.

Jun 9, 2004
Catalina 385 Marquette. Mi
I think he said "little or no trailering". That looks like a sweet boat. Trailer mtx comes later in my book.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
check the load range of each tire which should be the same to carry the weight of the trailer, boat, motor and gear. Allow 10% safety margin. Also check for tire rot and if any new tires suggested. Also go about 10-20 miles and pull over to check heat of rim, hub and tire. If super hot, then stop and get that fixed. Probably bad bearings and/or under inflated tires.

Aug 16, 2018
Newport 30-mkIII Baltimore
That's a beautiful boat though. I'd carry her home on my back if I had to. :thumbup:
yes, it does look very nice! We have two kids (2&4) so I have started looking at catalina 25s, wondering if we'd want the extra space. But it doesn't quite have the same classic good looks;) And it doesn't add that much (cockpit is the same), and I'd loose ability to trailer with my vehicle.

I like the idea of a small, quality boat that I can just trailer with our SUV. Trying to avoid 2-footitis before I've even purchased.. Reading online is no help, as everyone loves to spend other people's money. Typical is; "you really need at least 30 ft to be comfortable. For two people. But really 34 would be best". ugh.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If you are hesitating on the size, give it some real thought. Decide what's most important in a boat for you and the family. You don't want to find out after you bring 'er home. We had the Mac26S for 10 years, but it wasn't until we bought the Hunter that the wife really started enjoying sailing. Looking back, it was our club community sustained her until then.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I like the idea of a small, quality boat that I can just trailer with our SUV. Trying to avoid 2-footitis before I've even purchased.. Reading online is no help, as everyone loves to spend other people's money. Typical is; "you really need at least 30 ft to be comfortable. For two people. But really 34 would be best". ugh.
I do not subscribe to that point of view. :) The two of us are happy as clams for a week at a time on our C22, and plan to live aboard our 27' for a couple years, maybe more. But everyone is different, with their own threshold for personal space.

There is certainly the option of a water ballasted boat, like the Mac 26 which Justin mentioned, or a Hunter 260, or Catalina 250 ... I'm sure there are more. If you want more room for roughly the same weight, that genre might be worth looking at.

FWIW, my parents cruised the Bahamas for a year with my sister (3yrs) and me (still in diapers) in a 18.5' Alacrity twin-keeler. Mom only pulled the plug when my sister began having too many conversations with too many "friends" who weren't actually there. ;)

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I have the same feedback as @Justin_NSA with my O'day 25 also with my wife. At first it was fine but a few uncomfortable trips and learning experiences later that I think we are on a need a bigger boat to support a comfortable family fun time.

I gather from your first post you can sail but how about your wife? Has she spent much time on a sailboat? Mine was good until I messed up scared the heck out of her in to much wind. Her confidence and comfort on my O'day 25 is very low now. Oh ua with my 15 year old son and almost 13 year old daughter the 25 is cramped.

Just my feedback, take it for what you paid for it;)

Aug 16, 2018
I do not subscribe to that point of view. :) The two of us are happy as clams for a week at a time on our C22, and plan to live aboard our 27' for a couple years, maybe more. But everyone is different, with their own threshold for personal space.

There is certainly the option of a water ballasted boat, like the Mac 26 which Justin mentioned, or a Hunter 260, or Catalina 250 ... I'm sure there are more. If you want more room for roughly the same weight, that genre might be worth looking at.

FWIW, my parents cruised the Bahamas for a year with my sister (3yrs) and me (still in diapers) in a 18.5' Alacrity twin-keeler. Mom only pulled the plug when my sister began having too many conversations with too many "friends" who weren't actually there. ;)
Thanks, it's a rare view. I'd like to approach this more from the camping side than the "condo on the water".. In any case we'll probably just go for day trips for at least the first year, maybe more. And maybe just a night at a time for a while after. Our kids are just 2 and 4 years old, they're tiny.

I had a lot of simple, cramped tent trips in the boy scouts. And my parents took three kids for a week on a 21 ft power boat (think i was at least 10. still don't understand how). And canoe or bike tent camping. I want to teach my kids simple adventures that I had as a kid, camping, boating, hiking. My dad has a huge fancy boat now, that's not what I want to do on the water. (and I'm a cheapskate too)

Maybe I'm naive and my family will just hate boats, and me. But I'm willing to try. I'm reading Frugal yachting now and it's very inspirational ;)

If it all goes terrible and we all hate it I can always go out and buy a Catalina 30 tomorrow and we'll have all the space we need. If we do want to do longer cruising we'd probably have to upgrade eventually, but I think we could get many years out of a boat like this until the kids are too big.

Aug 16, 2018
FWIW I bought the boat few weeks ago. Had actually forgotten about this thread.. Couldn't get the seller down on price much, think I overpaid. But was the only boat in non-terrible condition I'd seen (that fit my narrow requirements), and was tired of looking. If not this one I would not have gotten out this season. oh well. Sails are original and probably needs replacing, and a furler.. $$$.. But I'll take it out with what I got at first.

Thankfully really zero work needed, just touching up bottom paint spots, cleaning and plan to launch in 2-3 weeks. Slip in pasadena MD if anyone in the area wants to say hi (not really, you'd just laugh at my lack of skill)

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
FWIW I bought the boat few weeks ago. Had actually forgotten about this thread.. Couldn't get the seller down on price much, think I overpaid. But was the only boat in non-terrible condition I'd seen (that fit my narrow requirements), and was tired of looking. If not this one I would not have gotten out this season. oh well. Sails are original and probably needs replacing, and a furler.. $$$.. But I'll take it out with what I got at first.

Thankfully really zero work needed, just touching up bottom paint spots, cleaning and plan to launch in 2-3 weeks. Slip in pasadena MD if anyone in the area wants to say hi (not really, you'd just laugh at my lack of skill)
Have a blast, @Scandium! We've been sailing our Catalina 22 with 2 kids (currently 11 and 8) for a few seasons now. We started when our kids were about the same age as yours, as a way to get outside with kids too small for backpacking. We stick to 3-6 days out at a time. And we've found we always look for space at a dock (vs. anchoring or mooring balls). It's good for everyone to have some space to walk.

One addition that's been a real winner for us is centerline jacklines to the bow, and harnesses / tethers for everyone. The kids love to hang out up on the bow while we're under way, and I'm comfortable with them scrambling up there as long as they're clipped in.

Post pictures when you get out, and we'll all enjoy it with you!

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
BRAVO!

Don't worry about a roller furler just yet. Rig a down haul for you jib and that will give you the sail control (reefing) you need in heavy winds.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
Congrats! I'd stick with Hank on sails and not spend the money on a furler. You can actually get reef points added to a jib, Precision Sail did it for my new sail I ordered from them. It was only $35 and is there if needed.

Jan 19, 2010
I know I've already beaten this drum but I only have a roller furler now because the boat came with one. When it eventually breaks, I'm going to go back to hanked on sails. A down haul in a strong blow is much more reliable than a roller furled head sail. Just my 2 cents and worth every penny.

Aug 16, 2018
I know I've already beaten this drum but I only have a roller furler now because the boat came with one. When it eventually breaks, I'm going to go back to hanked on sails. A down haul in a strong blow is much more reliable than a roller furled head sail. Just my 2 cents and worth every penny.
Thanks! Noted, I go back and forth, like the no-fuss of hank on. Mainly want furler just for day to day simplicity when we're out with two little kids who demand attention, not so much reefing (yet) as I'll stick to good weather outings for a while (ofc can always be surprised). I'll see how long this sail lasts, but when I need a new one anyway I'll probably get a furler, it's "only" ~$600 on this boat.

I've already ordered some line and fairleads to rig up a downhaul for now.

Aug 16, 2018
Have a blast, @Scandium! We've been sailing our Catalina 22 with 2 kids (currently 11 and 8) for a few seasons now. We started when our kids were about the same age as yours, as a way to get outside with kids too small for backpacking. We stick to 3-6 days out at a time. And we've found we always look for space at a dock (vs. anchoring or mooring balls). It's good for everyone to have some space to walk.

One addition that's been a real winner for us is centerline jacklines to the bow, and harnesses / tethers for everyone. The kids love to hang out up on the bow while we're under way, and I'm comfortable with them scrambling up there as long as they're clipped in.

Post pictures when you get out, and we'll all enjoy it with you!
That's awesome to hear! Reading forums there's always push for bigger boats. Rarely hear from anyone with fewer than 30+ feet, for two people.. (maybe because all the smaller boat owners are busy out sailing;)

First visit the kids dove into the v-berth and I realized how huge it is for them:D Plenty of space there for a while, even with the toilet accessible. Good point about staying at marinas, that'll greatly simplify things. I'm always thinking we need to pack/have room for every single item for a an overnight on the boat itself.

Last edited:

AaronD

Aug 10, 2014
Catalina 22 9874 Newberg, OR / Olympia, WA
That's awesome to hear! Reading forums there's always push for bigger boats. Rarely hear from anyway with less than 30+ feet, for two people.. (maybe because all the smaller boat owners are busy out sailing;)

First visit the kids dove into the v-berth and I realized how huge it is for them:D Plenty of space there for a while, even with the toilet accessible. Good point about staying at marinas, that'll greatly simplify things. I'm always thinking we need to pack/have room for every single item for a an overnight on the boat itself.
Nice! Sounds like your kids are ready for a boating adventure.

I sure wouldn't want to live on a 22 footer, but it feels like a great camper. Our kids consider it our vacation cabin.

In our cruising area, there are a number of marine parks (state parks on the water); many of them have dock space, which works great for us. Not sure if there's anything like that in your area, but if so, take advantage of it. I think your tidal range in the Chesapeake is pretty small, so beaching for lunch or overnight might also be an option. We can't do that in the Puget Sound with 15+ foot tidal swings.

Jan 19, 2010
That's awesome to hear! Reading forums there's always push for bigger boats. Rarely hear from anyway with less than 30+ feet, for two people.. (maybe because all the smaller boat owners are busy out sailing;)

Scandium.... you can have a lot of fun on a 22'. The saying is.. the smaller the boat, the more you sail it.

Here is a story (see attached) I wrote up a long time ago about an adventure I took with two of my daughters and a 22' sailboat.

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
@Scandium
Congrats. You will find folks here willing to help
Crazy Dave formerly American Marine & Sail Supply.

Last show in Annapolis after it was over doing 28 hp with a power sailor upon leaving the show. everyone after me but no tickets which was the greatest way of leaving that show aftr attending over 30 years as I retired.