Okeechobee Waterway on a 310

Jan 17, 2013
Catalina 310 St. Simons Island, GA
It looks like I am starting my last year of full time employment and will be going part time in a year which means we can go sailing. One of the trips on my list is to return to the west coast of FL where we trailer sailed for many years (Punta Gorda area). Was wondering if anyone has taken a Catalina 310 across the Lake O waterway? I recently measured the mast height to waterline and came up with 46 feet and if you add another foot for the antennas it is 47 ft. This was while not loaded for cruising. There is a bridge with 49 ft clearance and it would sure be great if I am not the first to attempt this in a Cat 310... I know about the barrel guy who can lean you over but he requires advance notice and $200! Has anyone made this trip in a 310? Thanks...
bob

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
We made this trip in our C310 in 2006. It was our introduction to using locks and drawbridges. At the time, Lake Okeechobee was a bit low, but we had sufficient depth with our wing keel. You can call the Army Corp of Engineers to get a reading of the current depth. We were concerned about the clearance of the railroad bridge at Port Myaka, so we made prior arrangements with the gentleman at Indiantown Marina to come out and heel us over. They are very experienced at this, and the process went smoothly. I think it is worth the investment of the $200 for peace of mind. A lot depends on the depth of the lake, and thus, the waterway. We didn't have any issues with debris clogging the raw water intake. You definitely don't want to go swimming in the waterway. The alligators were numerous the last time I transited.
Consider staying at Indiantown Marina for a night or two. Funky Old Florida kind of vibe, and a great hurricane hole if you ever need one. Moore Haven is a good place to tie up, too. If no one comes by to collect the dockage fee, you are instructed to put the fee in an envelope and leave it at the town hall across the street.
Have a safe trip, and let me know if you have more questions.

KZW

May 17, 2014
Catalina 310 #307 Bluewater Bay, FL
It looks like I am starting my last year of full time employment and will be going part time in a year which means we can go sailing. One of the trips on my list is to return to the west coast of FL where we trailer sailed for many years (Punta Gorda area). Was wondering if anyone has taken a Catalina 310 across the Lake O waterway? I recently measured the mast height to waterline and came up with 46 feet and if you add another foot for the antennas it is 47 ft. This was while not loaded for cruising. There is a bridge with 49 ft clearance and it would sure be great if I am not the first to attempt this in a Cat 310... I know about the barrel guy who can lean you over but he requires advance notice and $200! Has anyone made this trip in a 310? Thanks...
bob

Spec value on C-310 mast height above water is 46.5 ft. I have a 1.5 ft VHF whip antenna on top making a total of 48 ft. The Brooks Bridge from Ft Walton Beach to Okaloosa Island in the FL panhandle is infamous for being lower than marked. With the water mark at 48 ft on the bridge, I routinely ping the top of the whip antenna on the bottom of the bridge. Marler Bridge from Okaloosa Island to Destin is a true 48 ft and I heal the boat slightly to get under with no issues.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
With the water mark at 48 ft on the bridge, I routinely ping the top of the whip antenna on the bottom of the bridge
We pinged the bottom of the Long Island Bridge in Boston Harbor once. The chart quoted a 50' air draft. Double checked the tide, and noticed high tide had been two feet higher than normal. Oh well, at least the bridge is no longer there.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
We pinged the bottom of the Long Island Bridge in Boston Harbor once. The chart quoted a 50' air draft. Double checked the tide, and noticed high tide had been two feet higher than normal. Oh well, at least the bridge is no longer there.
Did they make you pay for it?

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Did they make you pay for it?
That is funny, Ron. I didn't mean it the way it sounded. Although the bridge looked like a strong breeze would knock it down, it took a bunch of explosives to finally dismantle it.

Jan 17, 2013
Spec value on C-310 mast height above water is 46.5 ft. I have a 1.5 ft VHF whip antenna on top making a total of 48 ft. The Brooks Bridge from Ft Walton Beach to Okaloosa Island in the FL panhandle is infamous for being lower than marked. With the water mark at 48 ft on the bridge, I routinely ping the top of the whip antenna on the bottom of the bridge. Marler Bridge from Okaloosa Island to Destin is a true 48 ft and I heal the boat slightly to get under with no issues.
How do you heel the boat?

Jan 17, 2013
We made this trip in our C310 in 2006. It was our introduction to using locks and drawbridges. At the time, Lake Okeechobee was a bit low, but we had sufficient depth with our wing keel. You can call the Army Corp of Engineers to get a reading of the current depth. We were concerned about the clearance of the railroad bridge at Port Myaka, so we made prior arrangements with the gentleman at Indiantown Marina to come out and heel us over. They are very experienced at this, and the process went smoothly. I think it is worth the investment of the $200 for peace of mind. A lot depends on the depth of the lake, and thus, the waterway. We didn't have any issues with debris clogging the raw water intake. You definitely don't want to go swimming in the waterway. The alligators were numerous the last time I transited.
Consider staying at Indiantown Marina for a night or two. Funky Old Florida kind of vibe, and a great hurricane hole if you ever need one. Moore Haven is a good place to tie up, too. If no one comes by to collect the dockage fee, you are instructed to put the fee in an envelope and leave it at the town hall across the street.
Have a safe trip, and let me know if you have more questions.
Thanks Tom. It might be worth it for peace of mind. Don't want to get halfway through and realize we are too tall

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
I've done this trip twice in the past year on a Hunter 31 with a mast height of 47' 4" and a 3 foot VHF antenna. If travelling fom east to west, the data you need to track for a few days beforehand is the pool level in the St. Lucie Canal. That determines the clearance at the Port Mayaca RR Lift Bridge.

If you call the St. Lucie locks and ask them to check "the cheat sheet" for the current bridge clearance, they will tell you. It doesn't change much from day to day unless it rains, and they are willing to discuss trends. The data are revised several times a day. I started calling 3 days in advance for both trips, and they were very helpful.

Their numbers were spot on. First trip, with a clearance of a touch over 50 feet, our antenna did not touch. Second trip, with clearance of 49.8 feet, our antenna touched and simply bent over, then sprang back.

Two caveats: 1) You still need to track the depth of the lake, relative to your draft, but that is separate from the depth of the canal over which the problem bridge sits. Once past the bridge westbound, you could wait for more water in the lake if need be.

2) The green (or red) light at the bridge can be difficult to see. Make sure you are watching it at all times. When it changes from green to red, the lift starts dropping almost instantaneously. This happened to us with the bow within a boat length of the bridge. If I had elected to continue, it would have been really bad. Stopping was no problem though, as our speed was at a bare minimum for steerage.

With the numbers you gave, you should not have any problem if the clearance is 49' or more.

Sailm8

Feb 21, 2008
Hunter 29.5 Punta Gorda
FYI free city docks at LaBelle and discount at Franklin Locks if you have an "old fart" National Park card. See their website.

Dec 19, 2006
Hunter 36 Punta Gorda
I have never been up the river my mast too high 58’ but many friends have and check the water
level before and weather.
Nick

Jan 20, 2019
O,Day 322 Fort Pierce
I talked to the lock tender yesterday as we are bringing our O’Day 322 across in a few days, lake levels are low but if the winds are under 20 knots on the lake it’s supposed to be doable, we have a 4’ ish draft and 20 or over can make it rough enough to bounce on bottom.

Jan 20, 2019
O,Day 322 Fort Pierce
Paul,
What is your air draft?
bob
Was told 45 but heading over tomorrow to measure for sure.

This is the site I’m always getting told to check for water levels. You can also talk to the lock tender and the dockmaster at Roland Martin for lake advice, route 2 (rim route) is still restricted to under 30 feet as the cable is still hanging low.
http://w3.saj.usace.army.mil/h2o/reports.htm

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
GR, I hope your wife does NOT see that especially this close to Valentines day
You could end up Boatless or you leaning out on a halyard and her with a knife! :biggrin: