A new custom sailboat, ANNA.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis

out rigger built to try and beat the world sailing speed record
to tack they had to beach it and move the out rigger to the other side

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
OK, so I criticized the saloon I have some further comments after seeing more pictures. First of all the joinery of the below is absolutely beautiful and I could spend considerable time below just admiring it. I do appreciate the shallow step down in the saloon. That is a notable difference from five steps down into a mahogany cave. Not that all caves are bad. I don't criticize the fair weather nature of the design as it fits the criteria of entertaining family and friends - presumably in nice weather. Not all boats have to cross oceans. If it sails well, can anchor and serve food and drink to guests it's a success. I'd like to see how they handle water toys. For the money I might have just bought or built a traditional Maine schooner.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
She has such beautiful classic lines. That sells her for me. I also like the skylight in the captain's suite.
The wood working looks impeccable and I really appreciate that too. The touch of James Bond villainry with the foldout swim platform just is icing on the cake. I've always said I want to live like a James Bond villain.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
She has such beautiful classic lines. That sells her for me. I also like the skylight in the captain's suite.
The wood working looks impeccable and I really appreciate that too. The touch of James Bond villainry with the foldout swim platform just is icing on the cake. I've always said I want to live like a James Bond villain.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Here is a close up of that skylights detail. Any guess on wood species?

A combination of new and old techniques. I see this type of hull construction as being very efficient. There are not many materials where the interior is ready to finish bright, once that hull is formed. I think their cold molding material was V notched tongue and groove. All your ceilings, visible or hidden, are ready for finish at this step.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Any guess on wood species?
In the highly polished finish coated state, it is very hard to tell. It looks like one of the newer imported mahogany substitutes. I hate to say it, because some might take it as insulting, but the courser grain makes me think of luan (Philippine mahogany). Considering the source, I'd be surprised, though.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
So in the bottom picture we are looking at the most inner layer of the strips of cold molding and it is the ceiling? Those strips/planks have to bend in two planes for any shape tongue and groove to be brought together. Easier to visualize than accomplish I think. It has to go back to the design. There aren't visible any sharp bends in the hull. Maybe at the bow where we can't see. They must taper the strips there I would guess.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
So in the bottom picture we are looking at the most inner layer of the strips of cold molding and it is the ceiling? Those strips/planks have to bend in two planes for any shape tongue and groove to be brought together. Easier to visualize than accomplish I think. It has to go back to the design. There aren't visible any sharp bends in the hull. Maybe at the bow where we can't see. They must taper the strips there I would guess.
Right. And they built the deck in the same manner so interior was 'finished' when they fastened the deck to the hull.

As you note, they must fit in tapered strips, somewhere. My guess is as they start at the deck they hid the tapered pieces on the bottom where they would be hidden. 'Stealers' I think they're called.

This 90' cold moulded hull was built in 2000 in my harbor. Instead of the 'ribs' ANNA has, this hull used it's primary bulkheads as station molds. They also used longitudinal framers that I guess are simply for fastening interior pieces.

This boat, which sails out of Bermuda, is a working boat that takes students. Less of a finish. Tough though, I think it had 3 thick layers of molding.
Bermuda hull turned in 2000.jpg

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
they must fit in tapered strips, somewhere. My guess is as they start at the deck they hid the tapered pieces on the bottom where they would be hidden. 'Stealers' I think they're called.
Check out the picture above, the tapered strips would run long above the sheer line, then get cut flush at bow and stern. Less fitting that way.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
This boat, which sails out of Bermuda, is a working boat that takes students.
What is going on with that bow stem? Have they not fit her with her keel before rolling her over?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
Check out the picture above, the tapered strips would run long above the sheer line, then get cut flush at bow and stern. Less fitting that way.-Will (Dragonfly)
A closer look at the midships shows shorter strips not running the whole length of the hull below the deck. The line of those strips would describe a "U." At the strip, or ceiling counting down about 15 from the deck, the strips may run to the bow.
"Above the sheer line" confuses me. I'm dyslectic so that's easy to do.
Anyway strip builds are interesting. They're said to be very strong and light. I'd like to hear opinions about stiffness.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I was taught that cold mold construction is very strong. The layers are omni-directional to improve unidirectional strength.

-Will (Dragonfly)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
What is going on with that bow stem? Have they not fit her with her keel before rolling her over?

-Will (Dragonfly)
I think I remember she was set on a long lead keel. The Spirit of Bermuda is a tall ship (and foundation) modeled after the original bermuda sailing rig (or similar). But this one has some modern design touches and I think it is pretty stiff and fast as tall ships go.

Good case for Maine boatbuilders like Rockport Marine: The Bermuda foundation had the world to choose a boat builder. RM won the bid, on $$$ and reputation, to build her.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
In the 60's, molded fiberglass nearly eliminated traditional plank on frame wooden boat building, but the method plugged along despite the FRP success.

Wood composite construction of these custom builds has nearly eliminated plank on frame for custom wooden boat construction as well as molded fiberglass glass custom hulls(one off isn't efficient when a mold must be built).

The irony is that it was the plank on frame builders that largely evolved the method.

NASHUA jack stands (1 of 1).jpg

If you want a classic wooden boat, you can have it built plank on frame, go through keeping it moist all winter,...wait days for it to 'take up' in the spring,...and pay a premium for the craft. Or just get an old one. Plank on frame is eternally renewable, repairable.

It can be made brand new, over and over again.

Concordia holed.jpg

Or you can simply take the drawings to that same boat builder, they'll take the lines and build the hull in wood composite. It'll be bigger without the internal frames, the low maintenance of a 'glass' hull(epoxy sheathed hull) and probably cheaper and faster to build.

Have it your way, done.

Nashua cockpit (1 of 1).jpg

Last edited: