Nut Size on 1995-40.5

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
wondering if anyone would know the nut size on the keel bolts for a 1995 - 40.5 and the torque specs. as well.

Jul 19, 2007
well since no one seems to know the answer to the question I posed including the keel manufacturer who referred me to Hunter who didn't even bother to acknowledge my email to them I guess I'll have to descend into the bilge and try out a number of open and box end wrenches on the nuts to determine the right extra deep socket to purchase in order to re-torque the keel bolts and take a guess at the proper setting.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
Had the same problem with obtaining information from Beneteau on my keel bolts. They wouldn't answer any of my several emails, but rather you call instead. Once contact via phone was made I was sent all the info needed

Jul 19, 2007
Thanks for that Brian, I guess a long distance call to Florida will have to be made. Don't know about PEI but the weather sucks here today, rain, snow combo and a strong NE wind. Guess I'll stay in and clean kit to be put away.

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
I think once you make the initial contact ,it'll open the door for further communication for you. Yes, today was a windy one, these are a couple of pictures of a mast ,that was on a mast trailer, strong enough winds to blow it over!

Attachments

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Here is some info that I got from Hunter. I also have a 40.5 and was told that periodic re-torquing of the keel bolts was not necessary. Maybe you have a specific reason for wanting to do this?

Attachments

Jul 19, 2007
Morning Rich and thanks for the information. No I have no specific reason for re-torquing the keel bolts other than just my need to satisfy my need to conduct what I see as routine maintenance, in much the same way as I have a schedule for dropping the stick once every three years to inspect the standing rigging while its not under tension, I look at swaging, ball scockets at the mast entry, sheaves, masthead bolts, spreaders etc. etc. Also check the ground cable and connections to the compression post. Dropping the stick IMHO every three years is cheap insurance in comparison to loosing the rig.

I guess that I now have to buy an extra deep 1 1/2" deep socket to accommodate the length of the keel bolts, I already have the extensions and torque wrench.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I did a 1-to-One consultation from this site (a very worthwhile process, BTW) with a Hunter expert. He had 20+ years at the factory in Florida. I asked him about periodic re-torquing and he told me it wasn't necessary unless I needed to correct a problem. But to quote Stu, "Your boat, your choice".

Jul 19, 2007
Similar to advise that I received here, "put the wrench on, if the nuts are tight leave them alone". Just covering the bases I guess.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Hi Rich who did you speak with Do you have a number or email
Thanks Floyd
Actually, after some research, I found the file that I downloaded directly from Marlow-Hunter
https://www.marlow-hunter.com/wp-content/export/Miscellaneous/Keel bolt specs.xls
So I didn't get it directly from a Hunter employee, but from their website. Sorry, I'm old; I mis-remembered. That's my story and I'm stuck with it.

If you are asking who I spoke with regarding the need to periodically re-torque the bolts, it was a 1-to-One session with Joe Kerr. Stella individual IMHO.

Jul 19, 2007
Thanks again Rich, I guess the only way we get these things done is through each others successes and failures.

Aug 27, 2012
Hunter 1990 Hunter 35.5 Toronto
Actually, after some research, I found the file that I downloaded directly from Marlow-Hunter
https://www.marlow-hunter.com/wp-content/export/Miscellaneous/Keel bolt specs.xls
So I didn't get it directly from a Hunter employee, but from their website. Sorry, I'm old; I mis-remembered. That's my story and I'm stuck with it.

If you are asking who I spoke with regarding the need to periodically re-torque the bolts, it was a 1-to-One session with Joe Kerr. Stella individual IMHO.
Thanks Rich I have a phone call booked with Joe tomorrow

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Hunter Legend 40.5 Victoria
Hello Floyd,
I wonder if you could share what you learned from your call?
Not that I need to do something right now, but it looks to me from the distance of the keel depth that at least one pad underneath the nuts may need a change in the future (rusty looking).
BTW would like to know if other owners had or did change these pads (rectangular oversized washers). Many thanks.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
Does the H 405 actually have only 3 x 1" studs? seems odd that all the others have 7,8 and 9 studs?

Jul 19, 2007
DayDreamer, yes the 1995 - 40.5 has only three stuff, one in the after most part of the bilge and two in the main bilge which are totally accessible when you remove the sole over the bilge.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
When I toured the Florida factory before delivery of our 1997 h40.5, the Hunter rep who was guiding us around told me that one of the keel bolts was strong enough to hold the keel, but the design incorporated three.

Jun 3, 2009
Hunter 40.5 Stamford CT
this looks to be the inside of the keel. I'm pretty sure its ours in the picture. 3 studs and recessed where the sump gets epoxy in. Rich, when you saw them assembling the keels did they bond the keel with epoxy or 5200. Did they give you insight as to how it was bonded other than the bolts? I always thought 3 was weird also.

Attachments