old sailors never die, they just get a little dinghy

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Now there's a man who is "intimate" with his boat and knows without a doubt the depths and contours! My hat is off to him.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
You think he may have made the passage once before without a camera?

Nov 1, 2017
Catalina 25 Sea Star Base Galveston, TX
Textbook. Very nice! I find close-quarters maneuvering entertaining. You don't always have to be going fast to get an adrenaline rush! ;)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
After the first tack, I thought the jib was self tacking, but then I saw him working it on the following tacks. That's smooooth!:pimp:

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
Loved the way he kept the boat moving even as he tacked and struggled with the sails... Keeping the boat moving is a key to close quarters boat control.

Mikem

Dec 20, 2009
Hunter 466 Bremerton
Well done. Great local knowledge, responsive boat, and outstanding seamanship.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Used to do that among the log booms in Esquimalt Harbour as a kid. Don't think I would do it with my own boat now even if wood (logs) is more forgiving than rock.

Oct 22, 2014
I think the saying is
"No guts No glory.."​
Or maybe is it...
"Fools rush in, where angels fear to tread..."​

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
i have a club footed jib that is great for fast tacking in a maze of islands. though small in square feet, the relative wind is always stronger going to weather. my main with it's shape is very powerful. the slot between the sails is open. i love sailing similar to the video. my "crab crusher keel" does not hurt.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I used to tack my centerboard boat, Bandit 15, like that entering or leaving creeks around here - sometimes against the current. But I had my wife as crew who could get that jib in pronto. And, the shore was sand- big difference. The drop off in depth was almost as steep due to dredging. It was fun sailing. We didn't have an engine so that was the way to get out into the bay.