Trans Fluid Type

Sep 25, 2008
Catalina 30 MKIII Varuna Boat Club
Hi everyone. I have a '97 Catalina MKIII with a Universal M25xpA. I noticed my transmission fluid was just a little bit low. Since I am not the original owner, I have no idea if the fluid was or was not changed and therefore, I am not sure of what fluid is in there.
What I want to find out is, can I top off the fluid with any of the recommended fluid types or must I drain it and re-fill?
Since my time is limited to all of the other little must do items I found after I bought the boat, I am hoping I can just safely add fluid.
Your opinions please.....
Thank you,
Ralph

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Not knowing what someone may have put in there before, I would extract the transmission oil and replace it. Believe all those Hurth transmissions use Dextron III ATF. Do it every year.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Do it ALL, then enter the date and what you used into your log book.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
What Gunnie said, for sure. Not sure what Hurth is using for fluid nowadays, but it is clear, not red. I'm sticking with the Dextron III ATF.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
What Gunnie said, for sure. Not sure what Hurth is using for fluid nowadays, but it is clear, not red. I'm sticking with the Dextron III ATF.
My Benny w 3ym 20 uses 30 weight motor oil, as per the label on the tranny.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Which is red. I have some. Has been for years. In the links I sent earlier.
That's the point I was trying to make, Stu. Hurths have used ATF fluid for years. ATF is red. But the newest Hurth I have looked at has clear fluid. The tranny was defective, new from the dealer. It replaced a Hurth tranny that had the same issue. The owner is now on his third new Hurth tranny in as many years. Hurth was not forthcoming about what the defect was, or what the clear fluid is.

Jan 25, 2011
S2 11.0A Anacortes, WA
You have several options:
1) drain it and refill with known correct oil from manual
2) if you have PO logs they might state was was previously used. If correct, just top off.
3) have a sample analyzed and go from there.
Personally, I would just go with #1. You would know its the right oil, its new oil, and can be logged as such.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I’m a 30 weight and believe in changing every year...... too simple to put off. I would pump out and add new....... 1/2 hour tops but I guess that depends on access (I’m spoiled)

Good luck!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I change mine every time I change oil. 1/3 quart easy cheap. No way I want to rebuild/replace the trans.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
The bell housing on our boat has a plate that states ATF for our Kanzaki, so that is what I use.

Feb 6, 1998
Canadian Sailcraft 36T Casco Bay, ME
Yanmar uses two gear boxes one built by Hurth with a round Kanzaki/Hurth emblem and one made by Kanzaki with a Kanzaki emblem. The Hurth made "Kanzaki" gear usesATF the Kanzaki uses 30 weight...

Hurth built Kanzaki's often have "BW" in the model as in KBW. The regular Hurth would be an HBW..

The OP's Universal diesel with a Hurth gear uses ATF III...