If you could homeport anywhere, where would you homeport?

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Right now I would be happy to homeport anyplace that had a destination that I could sail to. The lake I am currently on has only the one marina which is where I dock. The only option I have is to go out, sail around in circles, and return to where I started. When this job I am on finishes up, I intend to have this boat fully restored.
Finally home.jpg
Then I will trailer it to the Florida coast and island hop around the Caribbean for a few months. Hopefully, if time permits and the weather cooperates, I will end up in the Grenadines. Then I might have a better answer for where my desirable homeport would be.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Cowpokee... That does not appear to be a Gorman Express 30 in your yard. What is it? Is this your future cruising boat?

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
Cowpokee... That does not appear to be a Gorman Express 30 in your yard. What is it? Is this your future cruising boat?
No that is my fourth boat. This is a 1963 or 1964 Allied Seawind cutter rig. I wouldn't even think of taking the Goman out in open water with the lack of experience I currently have. For our big excursion I would much rather have a boat that can take care of my short comings.

Last edited:

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Homeport has several meanings for me. Since I'm a traveler, my first thought is to the name on the stern of the boat. I've wanted to make Kealakekua Bay, Hawaii that homeport. We spent quite a bit of time tied up to the monument and found it to be a very special and magical place. It is also where Captain Cook was killed and he was as close to a hero to me as anyone ever got. But, golly gee, that sure is a lot of vowels to have to write out into clearance forms as much as twice a day!
However, as for the real definition as the question intends, there is not one single place in any of the places mentioned as options, that I would consider for my home port.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
to the name on the stern of the boat. I've wanted to make Kealakekua Bay, Hawaii that homeport.
pic_20190122_215235.jpg

It can be interesting to have an inland homeport painted on your stern.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Last edited:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Well, I have been on that boat years ago. It did look a little difficult to single hand.
A few years ago, my daughter won a lottery to go on a turn around trip on the Constitution. I took a slip at Constitution Marina and she and her husband walked down the dock next morning for the trip. They enjoyed it immensely.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
:plus:

What do you mean by undocumented vessel? No bow number? How long can you get away with that in Massachusetts?:badbad:

- Will (Dragonfly)
Actually, Will, what I meant by undocumented was that the boat does have a bow number, versus a documented vessel, which has no bow number, but rather a name and homeport. An undocumented vessel doesn't require a homeport, but frequently folks will add one, often an inland town if the vessel is trailored.

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
20160824_131745.jpg

Will, no bow numbers. i do have to pay for state registration. oh yeah, they want their money too. the state sticker goes on the upper corner of the transom.
looks cool too

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
if you read the fine print of the fed doc . the home port is the owners home address. nothing to do with any harbor or such

Oct 26, 2008
Catalina 320 Barnegat, NJ
Sue and I were at the Annapolis boat show many years ago and I was a little put off by the name of the Hailing Port on a beautiful specimen of a Morris sloop that was being shown at the docks. It must have been 40 or 50' of sheer elegance. On the stern was emblazoned "ASPEN". Of course, anywhere in the world, there is no mistaking that location. It needs no qualifier such as Colorado or USA. I suppose the European equivalent would be DAVOS or GSTAAD.

To me, it is the height of pretentiousness … as if to say "Look at me! If you think my yacht is impressive, you should see my home in Aspen!" All right … maybe I'm just a tad bit envious. :rolleyes::rolleyes: But if the homeport on the stern said NEWPORT or ANNAPOLIS or NEW YORK or MIAMI or even RED BANK (New Jersey), I wouldn't have given it a second thought. I envision that the boat belongs to some billionaire from, say, Teaneck, NJ, whom has a need to illustrate all of the fantastic places and boats that "they" (there's that California pronoun police in action! ;)) own.

It makes me laugh when I see people in a tropical location sporting their Big Mountain credentials by wearing baseball caps and tee shirts that illustrate Aspen or Vail or Lake Tahoe or Snowbird or Jackson Hole or Sun Valley or … you get the point. When you go to the mountains, you see the opposite. When in Big Sky, you see all of the really swell sports whom are wearing their hats and tees that advertise their boating credentials and their visits to tropical locations. Basically, people pack their wardrobe with the intention of showing everybody how fantastic their lifestyle is. :cool: That tee shirt that the guy in Big Sky is wearing that advertises the Antigua Race Week is worn with a purpose!

I'm no different. I proudly wear my tee that shows that I've been to Hayward, Wisconsin … home of the freshwater fishing hall of fame. My tee has a big musky on the front! You should see that thing in person!

https://www.freshwater-fishing.org/

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
being fed doc means that you are a floating piece of the U.S. and the U.S. will protect you. if you are given a coast guard inspection your home port better match your passport address or you'll get fined. they are sticklers on that.