84' Hunter 37C Yanmar 4JHE

Apr 29, 2017
Hunter 37 Norwalk CT
Does anyone have in information on rebuilding a Yanmar 4JHE? I'm looking to do it myself but I can't find any rebuilding kits. I know you can buy individual parts for these engines but it would end up costing a fortune and then some. Is there a non marine model available that matches the 4JHE? THANKS!!!

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Yanmar maintains a pretty tight control over their dealer network. I believe Mack Boring & Parts Co. is the one to contact in your area.You might want to start by purchasing the shop manual (and even that will probably set you back a hundred bucks!). I haven't seen rebuild kits but Mack will know whats available.

Apr 29, 2017
Hunter 37 Norwalk CT
Hi Jim,
Thanks for responding and sharing some info. Your right about Yanmar having tight control. That's unfortunate for us DIY sailors. I do have the shop manual and parts list. I'll reach out to Mack Boring. The Yanmar is in the garage waiting for me to do something with it. For the time being, I installed a Westerbeke 4-107 in its place. The nice thing about that old iron horse is I can still find parts, including rebuilding kits for it.
Thanks, Dan

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Dan. Congratulations on the 4107. I too have a 4107 in my 1974 boat. I’ve been able to find parts from the PacificPowerGroup in Reichland WA. They are the Perkins US distributor. The 4107 serves as the engine that modernized the refrigerator truck industry because it has been so reliable.

Apr 29, 2017
Hunter 37 Norwalk CT
Hi John, I checked out Pacific Power Groups website. Impressive. Good to know. I agree, the Westerbeke is pretty reliable and easy to work on. So far, so good.