Hurricane Michael damage repair question

Jan 19, 2019
Hunter 260H Panama City, FL
My H260 "survived" Hurricane Michael with major damage to hull. See picture. Is this a repair that is possible and how would you recommend tackling it.

My second problem is that after the storm my bilge filled up with salt water and I emptied it every 2 weeks, then it would fill again. I think that the water ballast tank has a leak in it. Now that I was able to trailer the boat and it is out of the water and ballast tank is empty, I have water under the floor in the main cabin. When I stand on the floor and bounce I can hear water under the floor. It apparently can't drain into bilge and is trapped under the floor. How do you get this water out? Do you think the water ballast tank is cracked and water as seeped into this area? Is this repairable?
Thanks for any suggestions.

Attachments

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I am surprised that your insurance company hasn't declared the boat a total loss. Lots of damage to topsides, deck, and cabin.
Can it be repaired? Probably, lots of glass work and repainting the entire boat. Problem is that if you repair, you will not know the long term consequences of the damage & repair until years later. At that time you may be stuck with a compromised boat that's retail value will be worthless. My boat was severely damaged in hurricane Katrina; I encouraged the insurance adjuster to total it and they did. I didn't want the hassle of having it repaired, especially with hundreds of boats needing repair in overcrowded boatyards, and I didn't want to assume the risks that the repairs would be adequate. My advice is to negotiate a fair settlement and buy a new boat.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
There are lot's of places between the bottom of the floor and top of the ballast tank to collect water May be all it is also the way the weather has been lately you probably could be collecting lots of condensation.

A good test would be to fill up the ballast tank and pour in a bottle of food coloring or two then see if your bilge water changes color.

I'm no expert but that may not be worth repairing or perhaps it is the most cringe worth angle available.

Jun 2, 2004
If you do decide to repair and need any recommendations there are two out this way who are excellent craftsman and are genuine straight up good guys. I would be happy to forward on their info if your interested.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
Tom,
Welcome to the forum. Can you please post more pictures of your boat. I have a hunter 260 also. That one picture looks pretty horrendous to me. I’m not a repair guy so I am certainly not the one to advise you on that. But dang it looks bad. As we say in the funeral business, I’m so sorry for your loss.

Jan 19, 2019
Hunter 260H Panama City, FL
Thanks for all your comments, the insurance company has totaled my boat and all the contents, however, they would not take the boat, so I am stuck with disposal. Thankfully it did not sink, I was able to get in on the trailer. Most of the boat ramps are damaged as well, so it was tough to find a ramp to get it out without hitting mast on powerline.

Attachments

Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Sorry about your boat but, like others have said, cut your losses and move on. You will find another.

Apr 27, 2010
Hunter 23 Lake Wallenpaupack
Check your policy. I have been told (which may have been wrong) that insurance should cover disposal. Maybe someone who has had a total loss can chime in.

Jun 2, 2004
Many home and auto companies do not cover salvage and pollution mitigation as part of their boat policies.

We had a guy at our club whose boat sank while anchored out for a storm only found it because a bit of the mast was sticking up. Allstate wrote him a check for the boat and told him he was on his own. He gave it to some kids at the club who dove on it shoved a waterbed mattress in it and floated it up and back to the dock. They then sailed for several years.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Thanks for all your comments, the insurance company has totaled my boat and all the contents, however, they would not take the boat, so I am stuck with disposal.
Interesting. As Rick mentioned, guess you had a generic policy that excluded mitigation, recovery, & disposal.
When my boat was totaled, it was insured by a dedicated marine insurance company. They not only covered the boat (Hunter 33.5) for the agreed value, they also covered recovery, with a barge and crane, and disposal. Once I signed the boat over to them, I received a check and they handled everything from there. The insurance company actually contracted with a salvage company that was working my marina where a couple hundred boats were lost or significantly damaged. The boat was recovered from the water and placed on a barge where it was moved to a land based staging area. From there it was trucked to an auction yard and sold. From there, new owners (mostly salvage operators) hauled it to their yard where usable items were removed and then the hull was cut and scrapped or the boat was repaired.
I would talk to local brokers and boatyard operators who may know of operators on the Gulf Coast that would take possession of your boat, at no cost to you, and salvage / dispose of it. Good thing is that it didn't sink and that you have it on a trailer; that should make it more attractive for a salvage company. Make sure that you have all of the legal paperwork to limit any liability exposure. Sorry about your loss. Looks like it was a nice boat. These are stressful times, trying to recover from a hurricane; takes awhile to get things in order again in the home, work, and boat departments. There's a new boat out there waiting for you, when you're ready.

Last edited:
May 25, 2004
Hunter 25.5 Panama City, FL
My boat was also damaged due to Hurricane Michael. I am sad to say it was beyond my resources to have it repaired. It was found about three and a half miles east of the marina and 300 yards on shore in the woods. I only had liability insurance which is fortunate for me because they paid to have it recovered because of the liability to the environment however they did not pay to have it demolished. There were people advertising on Craigslist to salvage free to the owner, but because I needed to have my boat removed quickly after I finally found it (was on Tyndall AFB property) I paid a few hundred to have it demolished after it was recovered. The only problem now is finding a boat slip locally if I were to find another boat. Not giving up though.

Jan 24, 2017
Hunter 34 Toms River Nj
Tom,
Sorry for your loss.
Here in New Jersey after hurricane Sandy the insurance companies set up boat salvage and scrap yards. You might what to google used sailboat chandlery, like www. sailorman.com they may pay you for the salvage value of your boat. The boat may be a total loss however you may what to strip it down and e-bay some of the equipment such as the wheel pedistal. A new pedistal retails for over $1000.

If you have the time and effort a lot of local scrapers in Jersey would separate all the metals on the boat example, lots of aluminum and stainless steel on sailboats can bring you top dollar at a metal scrap yard.

One scraper that I know of made over $2k just for the keel. He cut up what was left of the fiberglass hull and tossed it in a 5yard trash container. I believe he said he made over 10k on one thirty foot sailboat after e-bay sales and scrap metal.
Big business.
Like they say one mans junk is another mans treasure. Who knows if you have the time at the very least you maybe able to make enough to offset your insurance deductible, or new down payment for a new boat.

Hopefully you can make something good come out of this horrible tragedy.

Hope this helps

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Tom has a handle on this. I spoke in detail with him. It was his decision to go this route. Trailer, motor, sails and much more are worth the price he askin finding the sale price to be most very reasonable. The boat offered is of course his Caverun