The North Pole is moving!

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Boundary Fall Off the End of the Earth Passage, but that probably took too much calligraphy space on the chart.
Not sure about the space, but it would have been a lot of extra ink..
Since we are sailing north, up hill, do you think the Passage will be less than 6% grade?

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Yes. We will get pictures from the top of the Coq on the way over. There was a snowfall warning the other morning, making it a little different from the last time.

Oct 22, 2014
I think, if you can get it up to the top of Mt Everest, it is supposed to drop slower...

I have no empirical data to support this opinion.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I think, if you can get it up to the top of Mt Everest, it is supposed to drop slower...

I have no empirical data to support this opinion.
Here is my thought. Where gravity is lowest, air density would also be lowest. Therefore, even though the acceleration of gravity is slower, terminal velocity should actually be higher. Thus, for any free fall longer than a certain distance, the lower gravitational forces may actually result in a faster falling object.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
While the top of Mt. Everest is further from the gravitational center of the earth and so the gravity field may be infinitesimally less than at sea level, the air would be so thin up there the anchor would drop faster due to less air resistance. In either event if you decide to test this, if you slip off the cul you will fall a lot further and faster than is consistent with survival.

Oct 22, 2014
This will be a voyage of discovery. Is this level nature of your space affected by strong drink?

Oct 22, 2014
Yes it can... Usually it is not “Strong Drink” but volume of strong drink.. Everything in moderation is my policy...

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
What amazes me is that there are people who aren't aware of magnetic variation at all...
How true!! Every Boy and Girl Scout, junior forest Wardens and others that get a simple lesson on the use of a hand compass, know about proper declination setting for their area and the fact that it varies over time. :banghead:

Last edited:
Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Define tallest. Here's a photo of the second tallest mountain taken from the tallest mountain.

DSC_2132.jpg

Edit: Forgot to post the image first. :(