Cabin heat options for cold weather cruising

Jan 16, 2019
Looking Cruiser Victoria, BC
Hello all,

I'm still searching for our first cruising boat, and in our area, nearly all of them come with some form of cabin heat: propane, kerosene, solid fuel, or diesel, and usually have something like a Dickinson mounted on valuable bulkhead space (often at the expense of a tablet, or mounted above table height, which isn't ideal.)

A few boats have had an Espar or similar forced air unit. I happen to have a D2 new in the box, with a plan to install it in my van. However, I might just install it in the boat, if it seems suitable. From what I can determine, the pros and cons are:

Pros:
Large fuel supply from main diesel tank, leaving propane for cooking only.
Able to mount in a variety of locations, saving bulkhead space.
Exhaust through transom, avoiding another hole in cabin top.
Able to duct the heat where you need it, and control with thermostat and/or timer.

Cons:
Requires power, although not a lot. I plan on adding solar/windgen for power.
Ducting could be a chore.
Noisier than most Dickinson style units.

I'm interested in hearing about the experiences of others when it comes to staying warm on those cold evenings. I'd happily be cruising 12 months around here, but I do like to stay warm when not sailing. :)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When I bought my boat I found a still in box DT40 Wallas diesel heater. I found a receipt from 2004. So I trucked down to the ScanMarine USA with the box. They went through it, making sure all parts were working, and updated the programing. I installed it. Bit of a hassle to run the ducts but worth the hassle when enjoying the warmth during a winter night.

I would recommend the Wallas for it's miserly energy use, warmth, and function to allowing a sailor to sail 365 days a year.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
We've had Espar forced air heaters on our prior boat (Sabre 42) for 11 years; and, our current boat (J/160) for 20 years. I like Espar's a bunch. I've heard good things about others. Wallas, and Webasto units, for example.

I'd stay away from propane for a variety of reasons unless you're careful with the installation, don't use it a lot (fuel is more expensive, etc.), and are careful with it.

Jan 16, 2019
Thanks, this looks like a great option, and very similar in concept to the Espar D2 that I have. The Espars (Eberspacher; Espar is the name in North America for those who struggle with pronunciation ;) are commonly used in long haul trucks for heating the sleeper, but also for boats and RVs. They are very small, about the size of a small shoebox.
Where did you place the exhaust and intake fittings?

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Depends on the configuration of the boat. Generally the duct work will influence location. Generally, the heat should be delivered near the floor.

I had to long discussion about "return air". Espar's US distributor tried to suggest that the returns be from a cockpit locker which was ventilated to the "outside". I said that would waste energy. I returned from the two aft cabins.
You need a return which is LARGER because it needs to supply the same air from all of the supplies -- and it's better NOT TO STARVE the return because is messes up the pressure out of the supply ducts.

Oct 22, 2014
You will want to locate the heater away from sleeping cabins. All of these heaters make a level of noise. Either from their burning box, or the fans that blow the air into your boat. Use of insulation is needed to move heat to the areas in your boat. Most often heat ducts are run along the boat hull. Without insulation there will be conductive leak of your precious heat to the chilled hull. Think about the flow of air through the boat and locate your vents to take advantage of the natural air movements.

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
+1 for the Wallas. We had an Ardic 04D forced air heater for many years and it really worked well. Did an Alaska cruise on it where it got a lot of use because it was cold, VERY wet, and not surprisingly, very humid.
Used the Ardic to help keep the boat dry plus even dry things. The downsides to the Ardic was noise, primarily during start-up, and the on-off again temperature swings. Tried to adjust the set temperature to minimize the swing but then there are more on-off cycles. Also, the Ardic required a good high voltage to start up during the ignition phase and if the batteries were even a little bit low that wasn't good.

A few years ago we got a Walls DT30 and that thing is great. The design totally eliminates the on-off cycles and once it reaches the set temperature it only runs enough to maintain the set temperature (variable heat output and variable speed fan). It is so quiet sometimes it is difficult to tell when it is running. Between the quiet operation and the constant temperature capability, that is the main selling/buying point. Being forced air it does require duct work. I re-used the Ardic ducts so that made for an easy install. Had an outlet in the aft head, under the chart table, and one under the salon settee. I'm sure the Wallas is more efficient than the Ardic because the exhaust on the Wallas is much cooler. Your solar panels and wind generator would work well when on the hook or off grid.

The DT30 doesn't put out as much as the Ardic so it takes longer to get up to temperature, however, once it's there it's perfect. The DT40 is bigger and I'm sure more like the Ardic for output.

If getting aboard a freezing boat and wanting instant warm temperature, if shore power is available, as a suggestion one can supplement it with an electric heater to take the bite off.

I'd agree with the concern about having an exhaust though the coachroof partly because that is right under the sail.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
I have a Dickinson Propane heater in the main cabin. While it looks nice it doesn’t put out much heat. I installed a planar diesel heater this winter. Will get to see how good it works in a few weeks.

Oct 22, 2014
Will get to see how good it works in a few weeks
Yes we will be putting that heater to a real world test...

It runs beautifully while at the dock. But get her out in the winter weather of the Puget Sound. Now there is a test. And if it does not live up to the expectations there may be a mutiny aboard Mahalo.

It is ok to sail in the winter, unless you can’t get warm. Then its everyone sitting on the top of the motor and to hell if we’re headed to the shoals....

On the other hand... A warm crew is a happy crew.

Jan 16, 2019
I have a Dickinson Propane heater in the main cabin. While it looks nice it doesn’t put out much heat. I installed a planar diesel heater this winter. Will get to see how good it works in a few weeks.
Let us know how the Planar works out. I considered getting one as they are much cheaper than the Espar. If I need to get another one, I may try the Planar. As far as I can tell, they are a Russian copy of the Espar, but based no the earlier D1LC design, but I could be wrong...

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Another +1 for the Wallas. Just retuned this long chilly (low 30s) weekend from a rendezvous with a fellow boating buddy in Eagle Harbor on the east side of Cypress Island. Wallas 40D ran most all the time, either at mid setting during the day, or on low during the night to keep the chill off. Does a wonderful job keeping the boat warm and comfortable.

It was a DIY project several years ago, not that difficult if you're handy with basic tools. Made a big difference in extending our cruising season to year-round. That project is covered here in an article that I wrote: https://hunter.sailboatowners.com/mods.php?task=article&mid=45&aid=6007&mn=42