Spinnaker size

Tim66

Oct 19, 2017
O’day 34 ct
i have a 1981 O’day 34 ‘ sailboat that I purchased in July of last year . I want to get a spinnaker sail for it and I do not know what size I need to buy and do I need a pole for it. I am new to sailing and have been learning as I go. Any help would be appreciated.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
What you'll probably want, unless you're looking for serious dead downwind performance, is an asymmetrical cruising Spinnaker. Those are easily flown without a pole. They'll often have a sock to help you deploy and retrieve them, and some kind of loop to go around the headstay for stability.

Sizing will vary depending on the cut and intended use, but the luff will be about the same as the forestay length, and the foot will be somewhere around 1.5-1.8 times your J measurement.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
You need a pole for symmetric not for asymmetric. Asym is much easier to fly. Do some research on the different types and post a narrower question.

This is like saying I need to buy a car, what should I get.

Les

Ted

Jan 26, 2005
C&C 110 Bay Shore, Long Island, NY
If you plan to race your boat, get a symmetrical spinnaker. You will need a spinnaker pole the length of your boat's "J" dimension. (without a penalty) Boats of similar design to yours do better downwind with a symmetrical spinnaker. If cruising, an asymmetrical is easier to fly. No pole is necessary although you can still use one. Something like an ATN Tacker and a spinnaker sleeve would be nice to have.

If your boat has never been equipped to fly a spinnaker you will also need a spinnaker halyard, a track on your mast for a spinnaker pole ring, 2 long sheets about double your boat length, a couple of snatch blocks, up and down hauls for the pole and a couple of people to join you while you're having fun flying it.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
.. I am new to sailing and have been learning as I go. Any help would be appreciated.
Learn to sail, then get a spin. The spin will make it more difficult, and you'll get frustrated.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
The question you ask is much better posed to a sail maker and they ask similar questions as posed here,

What do you want to with the spinnaker, race or cruise?
Is your boat currently rigged to accept a spinnaker?
Is your boat currently rigged to manage a spinnaker pole (uphaul and down haul)?
Is your boat have the blocks and winches to trim a spinnaker?

I guess the first question is of greater importance, a symmetrical spinnaker will always require crew to fly, where a asymmetrical neatly rigged can be flown single handed or with just (2) on the boat. Perhaps a whisker pole to hold out your jib/genoa would be a good place to start if you haven't already.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have an O’Day 322 and use an a-spin. No pole required.

A little challenge to set it single-handed, but I have a sock and have done it several times.

I used mine maybe 2 times last season, so not a sail that gets a lot of use...I have to have lots of time to sail before I decide to pull it out.

20110912_230145000_iOS.jpg

Greg

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
flying a spinnaker is for me the absolutely the most fun to do while sailing. it is a hoot. like all things it take skill attained by lots of practice. practice practice practice

it take three crew to fly an asymmetrical properly
it takes four crew to fly a symmetrical properly
the symmetrical spinnaker is way bigger and way faster than the asymmetrical on a displacement sailboat.

i'm really good at using them, i have three on the alden and two on the ascow one on the cal
i love using them. do it all the time

BUT and it's a big BUT. they are down wind sails. the day sailor goes up wind ish to start his sail so it is easy to get home. or at least reach out and reach back.
so, it's blowing 20 on a beautiful day, you and your crew throw up the 1 1/2 0z big boy and take a deep reach for three hours having a blast. now you are 30 miles down wind of your dock. your going to be late for dinner.

with that said, your sailmaker will know what size to fit your boat.

now on my yawl you add the forward staysail tall boy or the squat short boy with the mizzen staysail too and i'm having a blast. add a kiss from a beautiful woman during all this ...... heaven :)

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
if you love flying the big kites like i do, heres how you can play the game. watch the weather , notify the crew, with prefrontal winds throw up the kite and sail sail sail. drop into a safe cove. drop the hook, eat and be merry then go to sleep. in the morning, post frontal, with its opposing winds throw up the kite and fly back home.

easy peezy

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Learn more about spinnakers, then do an inventory of your boat's existing gear.... maybe post a picture.. then we can discuss what you need to get started. Here's a first step... there are other examples out there.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
it take three crew to fly an asymmetrical properly
The other two crew must have fallen overboard @jon hansen . :) A top down furler and a retractable pole and "we don' need no steenkin crew". This was my inspiration. A truly beautiful A2 on this boat! and oh look, how many guys on deck. ha ha

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
@Meriachee my pole is not retractable but is removable the Top Down control line is extended to the cockpit makes the kite easy to fly, I only run (1) sheet to reduce weight on the clew so if tacking I have to pull the line from one side to the other, and that's the only time I have to step out on the deck.

May 25, 2012
in the video their are FOUR crew on board, i'm very confused about what point your making.
on my boat it takes one to helm, one to crank, and one to tail/trim.

yes, i have seen people that do not know how to trim a spinnaker, that fly it, way over choked in, so that they do not have to have proper trimming by a crew.

dude, an over choked sail is SLOW, slow never looks good.

Last edited:
May 25, 2012
when you over choke the spinnaker, then the main gets back winded, then my mizzen gets back winded, not to mention the staysails. the helm feels wrong. ugh

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Crew replacement is accomplished with an AP and a top down furler. Very easy to fly without crew at all, no choking going on at all.

May 25, 2012
your video shows crew.

i'm not a loner . i like having crew. i like sharing the wealth. do not get the single handed scene. but that's just me. if you like being alone offshore, great, good for you

do you have a video of solo, spinnaker flying. cause your video proves what i said. thank you

May 25, 2012
the video that joe posted proves my point as well.
for the op that wants to start learning about flying these kites. you will want a full crew i think

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
It takes more work to fly a symmetrical spinnaker(we had a cruising chute on one boat-easy in comparison).

We've had symmetrical spinnakers on our last 3 boats. Flying the spinnaker is the pinnacle of sailing joy! It's also at times can quickly overpower the boat.

The old boat we have now had 4 spinnakers with it as it was raced. We never raced this boat but have covered some miles the two I keep onboard (a heavy air and light air, the one in the photo).

We'd only raise this big 1/2 oz light air chute if the wind was guaranteed, to stay below 12 knots and only if we had at least 10 miles to cover, and nothing in the way.

There is so much power in a symmetrical spinnaker.
Reaching toward Blue Hill.jpg

I haven't flown it in a few years now. I'm looking at at least a sock for it if not one of the new top down furlers and an asymmetrical. We'd use an asymmetrical much more often but I doubt we'll get as much performance as a symmetrical and pole.