heat gun/torch for heat shrink terminals?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I've used a heat gun, infrared gun, torch, and a lighter. The heat gun works best and is required in any industrial setting. That's because of safety and consistent results.

Ken

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
So I got a chance to try the Ancor mini torch today. When I first opened it up, my heart sank when I saw that the butane supply is just an ordinary cigarette lighter, which is inserted into the handle. But it is actually head and shoulders above the Bernzomatic mini. The Ancor gets up to temp almost instantly, and does the job in half the time of the Bernzo.

I may end up liking the heat gun better, but this thing is pretty cool.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Refilling it is kinda a trip too

It works pretty well but the flame is too hot and over too small an area to do heat shrink very well I have found. But it is cordless and small so it definitely has it's pluses.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Does that little butane can fit right into the handle for use?
No. You fill it, but it holds a lot. I really like it. I got the mini torch with my big BSP kit, and it was useless. This big Bernzo was worth it. It includes a soldering tip, but I haven’t used it.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Can’t have too many tools that shoot flame and set stuff on fire!
Ive got lots of tools on board but my boat, but disposable butane matches are the only thing that throws a flame. Quite a statement from a guy who uses a weed burner and 5 gal propane tank to start the wood stove in the family rm.

Les

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
... Quite a statement from a guy who uses a weed burner and 5 gal propane tank to start the wood stove in the family rm. Les
Les, in Gunni's defense, the directions said nothing about opening the door first.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
You guys are talking about some other crazy guy, everyone knows I am all about safety and proper training and would never bring a propane tank into the family room to start a fire in the fireplace. A small marble of C4 and a match is the way to go!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Sorry for the missundersyanding. I’m the one using a weed burner in the house. But no flame throwing on the boat

Les

Dec 4, 2018
Balboa 27 Denver
Always heat gun, what can happen is that you can overheat the adhesive seal on the shrink tubing or connector and lose the waterproofing thus elimating the reason for the heat shrink in the first place