AUTO PILOTS?

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
Hi All!
Winter storm going in the northeast - has me dreaming about my shrink-wrapped H23 down by the river just a few minutes away :)

My thought is to convert her to single handed come spring.
New baby means my wife won't on the helm (nor the boat) to help when I raise/lower sails :(

However I plan a ton of sailing solo and with friends experienced and not.
I have 2 new (to me) winches - I am going to mount the existing max-well up onto the cabin. Also run the main and head sail lift lines back too via blocks to the cabin winch - not sure if I can raise them from there - but at least to be able to drop them on my own.

All is manual on my h23 - no roller.
I've been reading that the most important aspect is to get a Autopilot?
Any recommendations on going single handed or guidance here so I don't spend too much denaro?

Thanks!

Jan 8, 2015
MacGregor 26S, Goman Express 30 Kerr Reservoir
An autopilot is not necessary if you are trying to conserve boat bucks. A tiller tamer would work just fine to give you a few minutes to handle the halyards. Or simply a bungee cord lashed around the tiller and hooked to the coaming on both sides is even cheaper. I would also recommend rigging a downhaul for dowsing the jib from the cockpit as well.

Sep 30, 2016
Island Packet IP 44 Ventura, CA
I second that of Cowpokee. An autopilot would be overkill and a pain really. I single handed my 23.5 frequently two summers ago when my first mate broke her leg in the spring. I bought a Tiller Clutch http://www.wavefrontmarine.com/ and I cant imagine sailing without it. I like it better than the tiller tamer because its a one handed operation, really nicely made, and simple to install. Its all you need to be able to hoist the sails or tack singlehanded.

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
You can put off buying an autopilot. That way, when you do buy one, you can spend the next month kicking yourself for not buying one sooner. ;)

Seriously, I would do without something else, like food or beer or medical care.

Oct 10, 2011
Tartan 34C Toms River, New Jersey
You can put off buying an autopilot. That way, when you do buy one, you can spend the next month kicking yourself for not buying one sooner. ;)

Seriously, I would do without something else, like food or beer or medical care.
Come on Gene even BEER? I could see food and medical care but BEER!

Nov 22, 2011
Ericson 26-2 San Pedro, CA
Hi All!
Winter storm going in the northeast - has me dreaming about my shrink-wrapped H23 down by the river just a few minutes away :)

My thought is to convert her to single handed come spring.
New baby means my wife won't on the helm (nor the boat) to help when I raise/lower sails :(

However I plan a ton of sailing solo and with friends experienced and not.
I have 2 new (to me) winches - I am going to mount the existing max-well up onto the cabin. Also run the main and head sail lift lines back too via blocks to the cabin winch - not sure if I can raise them from there - but at least to be able to drop them on my own.

All is manual on my h23 - no roller.
I've been reading that the most important aspect is to get a Autopilot?
Any recommendations on going single handed or guidance here so I don't spend too much denaro?

Thanks!
For a tiller steered boat I think the best way to go is with a Pelagic (www.pelagicautopilot.com). It makes the ST2000+ I had before look like a toy by comparison.

Sep 19, 2017
hunter 23 new hamburg
I would do without FOOD for a boat part!
I could stand to lose a few lbs anyway - I have a tiller tamer (it doesn't work to well honestly.) And I went back last year to tieing a line and looping it on the tiller to give tension - it is OK - but has alot of drawbacks.

Say I was going to get on a diet and save up - what kind of damage for something basic am I looking at?
Thanks!

Oct 31, 2012
Hunter 2008 H25 Lake Wabamun
For my H25 (wheel steering) an auto pilot made a big difference in terms of ease of handling and being able to spend more time fine tuning the sails. Also, one can more safely duck in and out of the cabin for things like beer and other essential supplies.
:beer::biggrin:

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
I really need to contend with your first assumption, that your wife will not / can not sail with a new-born. Are you nuts?!?!?! The first year after our daughter was born was the easiest time we had sailing with her until she was probably 9-10 years old when she started participating in the sailing of the boat. That first year she spent most of her time at home when not being feed in her swing. on the boat, we just put her in her car-seat / carrier and tied it to the overhead handrails. Gimbaled baby swing. It was great!
As to the question of steering, I used a dock line that ran from one forward push-pit stanchion to the other with three turns around the end of the tiller. The line was adjusted so that it was stretched a bit so that there was friction on the tiller. I could make big adjustments by just pushing the tiller. I could also make VERY fine adjustments by rotating the loops on the tiller. that way I could adjust the tiller by as little as a 1/16" of an inch. I flew my symmetrical spinnaker with pole single hand all the time using this method.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Raymarine ST 2000 is great on a boat your size! Check the store here on site, or e-bay and/or Craig's list for prices..

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
new baby, babies heard gurgling, had movement, and enjoyed being in the womb. sailing in a bassinet in the bow takes them back. babies are easy on boats. sleep most of the time.
new dads that leave the wifey home, well, we all know..................
let your wife helm and you pull all the ropes while baby sleeps. some of the best sailing of my life was with babies on board.
happy wife, happy life :)

May 25, 2012
john alden caravelle 42 sturgeon bay, wis
with the money you save you can start the babies collage fund

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
I agree about babies being not too bad on the boat.. Our first was on board after his two week old check-up.. I used to plug the cockpit drains and fill the footwell and let the critters have a cool splash pool while at anchor..

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
AP is a good safety item. You don't "Need" one but your excursions will be more safe with one. I've had three tiller boats and I never found a reliable way to tie the tiller off to leave the helm for more than about 30 seconds. Even if you set it up perfect, as soon as you are away from the helm there will be a gust of wind, or a wind shift and it will change. You do not want the boat careening around while you are in a vulnerable position. A long keeled boat would be a different story but a 23 foot boat which is sensitive to weight trim won't be too stable in direction or heel. Buy the AP.