Power for a Hunter 1994 23.5, is a 30hp outboard too much?

Jan 14, 2019
Hunter 23.5 Miami
Power for a Hunter 1994 23.5, is a 30hp outboard too much?
Answer my own question, yes! I just happen to have a long shaft 4 stroke EFI power trim 30hp Mercury/Tohatsu. Concerned it might damage the transom bracket. Its around 180 lb porker, any opinions? My last 1985 Hunter 23 had a 5hp which was barely adequate.

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Yeah, might be a tad too heavy and a waste of power. I had a 9.9 HP four stroke Yamaha on my O'Day 23, which worked fine. Plenty of power, and not too heavy for the bracket or the boat itself.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Fort Walton Yacht Club, Florida
Don't even consider it.

6hp is adequate, anything more than 8hp is too much anything more than 9.9 is stupid.

Trade it for a smaller one.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My B23 5 came with a 2-stroke 6 hp, with a wimpy prop. Traded it towards a Honda 8, XLS and that was GREAT. The prop has a larger blade. A 6 with a higher-thrust blade might be good enough. Otherwise, use it for a blender.

Last edited:

Tom J

Sep 30, 2008
Catalina 310 Quincy, MA
Don't even consider it.

6hp is adequate, anything more than 8hp is too much anything more than 9.9 is stupid.

Trade it for a smaller one.
I agree. I only used the 9.9 Yamaha because my son worked for Yamaha, and picked up the 9.9, new in the box, for a ridiculous price.:dancing:

Johann

Jun 3, 2004
Leopard 39 Pensacola
If it doesn’t separate the mount from the hull when you attach it, it certainly will when you get to full throttle...

Jan 14, 2019
Hunter 23.5 Miami
Decided not to mount it, going to try to trade it for a smaller motor. If I did mount it, will make it so it only does a partial throttle. I think the mount could take it, but really a waste of a 30hp.

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
Good decision.. I had a long shaft Honda 7.5 (early 4 stroke two cylinder) for several years on a similar boat (Spirit 23) and it was perfect for light coastal cruising on the Gulf coast and Lake Pontchartrain.

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Your question revolves around the transom strength. Good forethought. I can't offer any insight, but it is interesting to note that MacGregor hangs a 50hp on their boats.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Your question revolves around the transom strength. Good forethought. I can't offer any insight, but it is interesting to note that MacGregor hangs a 50hp on their boats.
but the MacGregor has a planning hull form made to get out of displacement mode.

Sep 25, 2018
Catalina Capri 22 Capri EXPO 14.2 1282 Stony Point
With that much weight on the back of the boat, you will take on water from behind. And list to starboard. the gas and battery are also on the starboard on the 23.5.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Out of safety I am responding as I was asked to do so. Trailerable sailboat manufacturers built to an industry wide standard for the transom to be rated to a max 10 hp as these hulls are displacement. On many, a 9.9 at full throttle can be too much causing the bow to raise up with the boat plowing head on slowing the boat down. Engines larger than that by weight or full throttle say for example a 30 hp will damage any transom. Even with a larger engine, anyone can get their hands on the throttle and go a full speed. Damage to the transom will ensue.

However, the power sailors generally water ballasted do carry larger engines as it is a hybrid plaining hull like power boats, thus the transoms on those boats are built to power boat style transoms that can carry the weight and power just like a power boat.

The daysailors carry smaller engines and suggest looking at the boat manuals for motor hp recommendations. That pretty much sums it up...

Last edited: