Need Help Finding the Right Cruising Boat

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
Thanks Slipin,

My impression is that I will come to that same realization. There are not many sail boats designed that way. These Hunters are maybe some of the best examples I know of.

I did see a few 45CC for sale that look very nice. I will take a closer look. Thanks.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
I would have bought a H460, but the Cost for Delivery [SC to MS] exceeded our budget, in January weather.
The Difference between my H430, was a bit more in the Captains Suite, and a lot more in Forward Cabin.
Same Beam, and 6" more draft, if totally Loaded.

Remember the Mast Height too!
______
It took us 3 months to find our boat.

Good Luck...
Jim...

PS: Make a list of "Must Haves" then begin your search.

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
Does anyone know the owner of Bucket List, a 2010 Hunter 50CC listed on Yacht World. Looks really nice and I would like to make an offer but the Broker is not willing to present my offer to the seller because of a personal disagreement with my broker. Too much drama... I’m reporting the broker but I would really like to make an offer on this boat. Thoughts.

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
If it's coast guard documented, you can search the list of all vessels so documented, somewhere on the web. Also, depending on state law, the broker may be legally required to present the offer.

The broker should definitely be reported, to multiple people, as appropriate: vessel owner, licensing authority, Better Business Bureau, local chamber of commerce, and the owner of the brokerage. I'd be tempted to name him or her here, and on a few other forums, as a service to future sellers, but that's because I really detest people who won't do their jobs.

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
Agreed. I already submitted a complaint to the state licensing board. But the unfortunate result is i still can’t put in an offer (until resolved) which will likely be to late and the seller loses out on a sale.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Does anyone know the owner of Bucket List, a 2010 Hunter 50CC listed on Yacht World. Looks really nice and I would like to make an offer but the Broker is not willing to present my offer to the seller because of a personal disagreement with my broker. Too much drama... I’m reporting the broker but I would really like to make an offer on this boat. Thoughts.
THE JOSEPH C EDWARDS LIVING TRUST DATED MAY 6, 2004
144 AVIATION WAY
AUSTIN, AR 72007

https://www.st.nmfs.noaa.gov/pls/webpls/cgv_pkg.vessel_id_list?vessel_id_in=1249230

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
Jviss,

How do you know this is the boat. There are lots of boats with the same name? And this one is sitting in FL

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Jviss,

How do you know this is the boat. There are lots of boats with the same name? And this one is sitting in FL
I searched Yacht World and found the boat you mentioned. The hailing port is Little Rock, AR. Then I searched noaa.gov and of the documented vessels named Bucket List, found the 50' boat that had the same hailing port location, Little Rock, AR.

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
I searched Yacht World and found the boat you mentioned. The hailing port is Little Rock, AR. Then I searched noaa.gov and of the documented vessels named Bucket List, found the 50' boat that had the same hailing port location, Little Rock, AR.
You’re a Genius!!! I own you a beer for sure...

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
You’re a Genius!!! I own you a beer for sure...
If you're ever in the Boston area, look me up! Or our summer cruising grounds - Block Island Sound, Rhode Island Sound, Buzzards Bay, Vineyard Sound, etc. :)

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
Don't know that I can add much at this point, but if you are looking to head out December of this year - you need as much as possible already on the boat you are going to buy. Just my 2 cents worth.

dj

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 430 Shelter bay, Panama
we have a 1997-430 owned it since 2000. we like it enough that we are refitting, respraying gel coat etc to like new standards right now. I too am big, not fat, i am at 51 a national champion athlete. I am 6'2" 265 and have plenty of room. even the bed running side to side is king size at the head and shoulders area, a bit smaller by the feet. having 2 heads is nice when you have company. you can sit easily at the table and nav station. the only thing i would have done differently is the cockpit coaming, it tilts outward which is hard on the back during extended cruises. we have about 24,000 nm on her, only cruise part time, and that is the only change I would make, if I could.

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
we have a 1997-430
Us too.;) I bet my hull number is bigger than yours.:p

We sleep 2 in the Aft Cabin but our Heads to aft. I was a national Championship Gold Medal Athlete too, 6' 280 and the Admiral has plenty of room too.

We have comfortably cruised for 4 days with another couple staying in the private forward cabin and private head.
The Hunter 430 and 450 are about the same in comfort comfort cruising.

This is not a review of our boats, but the Hunter 40'+ are Class A seaworthy boats, that are well designed for livable space. In private discussions with @Monty VM , he made me feel very comfortable about the safe handling of the H430 in many types of Sea Conditions.
We nearly bought a H460 and now glad we didn't.

The places you can't go with a bigger boat would amaze you.

Jim...

Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
Monty / James - thanks for sharing. I just submitted an offer on a 456. I really hope we can make a deal.

My wife and I have looked at a lot of boats over the years but somehow we always compare them to these Hunters. Your experiences are reassuring. More posts to come...

Last edited:
Sep 3, 2013
Hunter 34 Marina Del Rey
Just a quick update. We looked at many Hunters but ended up buying a Beneteau 46. Different then what I had in mind but so far we have been very happy with our choice. I would buy a Hunter again if the right opportunity came our way. Timing is everything.

Feb 6, 2010
hunter passage456 kemah
Hi,
We,are currently cruising the Caribbean on our 2002 Passage 456, we lived on her from the day we bought her in May 2007 til currently. So 4 years of living aboard in Texas and the last 6 years cruising full time in Florida, the Bahamas and now 3.5 years sailing from Grenada to US Virgins. We had owned hunters from 26.5 up to 40.5 so we knew the build quality. We now have. About
12 thousand KM of blue water sailing under our belt and believe me you can't go wrong in our opinion with a 456. Our boat stacks up size and design wise with the Tayana 48, the Hylas 48. Our boat has been trouble free and has handled the inter island ocean passages in 2035 knots very comfortably. We added a stainless arch to the stern, mounted 500 wattts of solar, added a inner forestry and a profurl furler on it to go make the boat a cutter rig, if you play to cruise the Caribbean that's a important add on, since we mostly sail staysail and a sixty to seventy percent main, the boat will do s even knots in twenty knots of wind in that config, the jib is useless down here but important in the Bahamas and Florida. Happy to give you any advice on the boat and how we have learned to configure it these past ten years.