What did Beneteau bed thruhulls with? 2009 B 37

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
Beneteau 37 JBM, St. Clair Shores, MI
Am getting ready to switch the original in-line ball valves on my 2009 B37. Am switching to Groco IBV bronze with BSPP threads. I like the grease zerk option on those valves. Hoping to heat and remove the old ball valves (probably OEM, probably brass) without breaking the thru hull tube. If it breaks, will replace the thruhull with a bronze Groco TH-125-W. If it comes to that, is it likely the Beneteau factory bedded the "mushroom" to the hull with 5200, in other words, will I have a tough time freeing it from the hull?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Yes... Gunni.. Good stuff. That and a bit of heat from a heat gun and 5200 gives up it's grip... Still need to scrap and sand the residue off before rebedding.

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
I failed to mention that I'm hoping to do this job with the boat IN THE WATER. I'll have a diver down when I do it, just in case. If the thruhull doesn't crumble, or the mushroom doesn't break it's seal with the hull, I should be ok.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Ok... Take pictures. Let us know how it turns out. Have a rag close to stuff in the hole...
Check that the bilge pump is working.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
If you are going through the time & expense of changing valves & tailpieces, you may as well change the thru hull fittings at the same time as they are approaching 9-10 years. That’s going to be dicey trying replace a thru hull fitting in the water if one does crumble or break. A yard changed one for me about 6 years ago on the hard and didn’t allow sufficient time for the sealer to set; consequently, the fitting leaked severely. They had to haul the boat again and reseal the fitting. Best to haul out and change them all and allow a few days to set.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Had a similar but opposite experience - yard replaced the valve but disturbed the thru-hull seal and it began weeping when the boat went back in the water. I will need to do the job again. This really is a job that should be done on the hard.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
So what is the plan if the fitting breaks.... or if you break the seal?? IMHO a job for a dry bottom...

Good Luck!

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
Was going to try to replicate this procedure:

BUT........am having second thoughts. I was gonna use 4200 if the thruhull seal broke, not 5200 like the guy in the video.

May just hold off on this repair until my next haulout.

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
May just hold off on this repair until my next haulout.
Good idea! The underwater thru hull method is good for an emergency repair as depicted in the video; however, I believe that you will get a better result by waiting until your next haulout.

Vegas

Feb 12, 2009
Postponed the thru-hull replacement until my recent haulout. It's a good thing I didn't try it in the water, because both my sink drain thru-hull and my raw water intake thruhull broke free from the hull. I ended up using a sawzall and cutting the stems of the thruhulls. I would have been in big trouble had I tried it in the water!

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
I removed one of my thru hull fittings over the winter and found the bedding to be very poor. The hole in the hull was cut larger than it needed to be and the sealant was not uniformed. I was very unimpressed with the quality of the work.