Calling all Lewmar port owners!

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
We've had quite a few complaints about Lewmar port replacement gasket in the past 6 months, both Old Standard and New Standard ports. Lewmar says there have been no changes, but there sure seems to be something going on. Has anyone had any recent success or failure in replacing their port gasket?

Thanks for your input!

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
we replaced all 6 ports on our old seafarer in 1996 w/ lewmars. when we sold the boat 20 years later the ports were still in very fine shape w/ no leaks whatsoever. my guess is that they were 'old standard' .

Sep 15, 2013
Catalina 270 Baltimore
I bought a port gasket from SBO for the opening port in the head. I am sure it was a Lewmar. It fits well but was a bitch to install.

sgiarc

Feb 12, 2019
beneteau 461 port colborne
I have installed 7 "old standard" gaskets so far. If you use a slow cure silicone for your sealant/lubricant the installation process goes smoothly. I have been using a paint stir stick to help ease them into place.

Oct 29, 2005
Hunter Marine 326 303 Singapore
I bought a port gasket from SBO for the opening port in the head. I am sure it was a Lewmar. It fits well but was a bitch to install.
I did replaced all 4 opening ports gasket (rubber seal) and YES it was a bitch to install....and still is after 3 years as it is just hanging in the slot, no glue use.

Ken Y

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Mine developed a nasty leak this year, I rebedded the frames, installed new gaskets, using silicon to fill the "track" , new o rings and the lube that comes with the rebuild kit, and they have gone back to the intermittent drip.
I'm open to any suggestion at all to stop it. It seems like the water is collecting in the catch for the dog, which would suggest it's coming in the hole the dog mounts through. The o rings are not terribly snug to the shaft, and the flanged part on the outside of the window does touch the new gasket, although it looks like there's a good seal, but apparently not. The gaskets were installed with care, and the bolts on the dogs are snug, but not too tight.
Next is to apply the water torture test and watch closely from the inside to see how its getting past the seals.
Maybe you guys are on to something though, you can't tell me the nozzle on the extruder is the same as when these gaskets were made 15 years ago.