Buying 1990 Beneteau 35s5

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
It got up to 3400 rpm it's a 1990 Volvo penta model 2003 28hp. I've heard there have been known issues with the link between the motor and transmission. How much do you think it would cost for that type of job?

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
As someone who has owned a number of sailboats, and has been around boats for a long time, generally I would not purchase a boat with a Volvo. Many models have issues, and parts are expensive. It has been a deal breaker for me in the past. Google that engine model. Yanmar is always my choice. If you Google Volvo marine engines you will get a litany of issues. Try the same with Yanmar and you won't get near the number. I have had 2GM30F (C&C 30), 3GM30F (C&C 32) 3HM35F (Island Packet 35) and now 3GM35F again with my Beneteau 331. They are good, easily repairable engines, and an amateur can so all the routine maintenance.
Not any more problems with Volvo engine then any other brand, although the brokers in the Halifax area seem to dislike them, I wouldn't base my opinion on that.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
3400 RPM might be a bit high. Maybe it has the wrong prop on it, or maybe the prop is slightly damaged.

If your worried about the link between the transmission and the engine check the SN# and look it up on the web. The later engines don't have a problem. My engine is an early one, fingers crossed. As for the cost of the repair I would guess about $3000 if you hired a marina to do the work. There is a company that can repair damaged units, seems like that cost $1600.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
got up to 3400 rpm
Looking up the spec for the engine revealed 3200rpm for the 28hp engine.
This is suspect as need the engine serial number to get an actual match.
Have no idea if the tach is working properly.
To help you evaluate from thousands of miles away is just SWAG.
Did you have your surveyor on the ride with you?
Do you feel comfortable? Would a lower price make you happy? Did the owner or broker make any comments to you when you said “is that all she got?”
How do you see using the motor? Perhaps it is enough to get in and out of the marina.
The prop shown in the images is a 2 blade folding like prop. Better for sailing less good under power.
Do you like the boat?

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
That is good advice to check the serial number on the engine to find out if it has the modified flywheel adapter. I have the older engine on my 1986 boat, and did have a problem (after 30 years!). Pulling and reinstalling the transmission myself, not too difficult on this boat, it cost me around $1500 to have the yard rebuild the transmission, sending out the shaft to be machined. That also includes the flywheel mod kit from Volvo. Now, if I had replaced the shaft (and entire gear set, since that's how they are supplied), it would have been well north of $5000. I kind of think that Volvo modified the flywheel adapter before the 35s5's were built, but you should check.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Here is the reply from a top mechanic who installed diesels for many years and has forgotten more about diesels than all of us on this thread ever knew:

"Volvo model 2003 does not have a good reputation. If the engine is still running well you may get a few years out of it but eventually you will be forced to repower"

Note - "and that's if it is running well!"

Thant's all I am going to say about this!

Dec 31, 2016
Beneteau Oceanis 351 Charlottetown
Here is the reply from a top mechanic who installed diesels for many years and has forgotten more about diesels than all of us on this thread ever knew:

"Volvo model 2003 does not have a good reputation. If the engine is still running well you may get a few years out of it but eventually you will be forced to repower"

Note - "and that's if it is running well!"

Thant's all I am going to say about this!
That's one mechanics opinion, and you know what they say about opinions, that's all I'll say about it also!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
No hour meter. No maintenance log. 27 year old Volvo diesel. I would assume a near-term repower $15,000. Maybe find a local volvo marine mechanic and let him inspect the engine, get you a compression test, dial you in for $300. It would be good to know how long down range that repower will be.

Mar 16, 2009
Hunter Vision-36 Richmond
Hello Thetone:
Did you buy the boat? I'm in contract to buy a 1989 35s5 with 720 hours on the engine.
I'd like to hear what you have to say about the boat.

Apr 29, 2012
Beneteau 35s5 bristol ri
I bought the boat. Loving it. It has a 28 hp Volvo deisel model 2000. Does anyone know the part number for the fuel filter on the engine? Also does anyone know where the primary water separator is located?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats on your new boat @thetone

Doesn’t Volvo have a manual with the filter specs?
Pictures with you at the helm are always good to post.