Removal of Hurth 35 tranny?

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
18D5D404-CD64-4570-AB46-2B702BB0F3B8.jpeg FC1C4AB7-9F6E-4004-9B1C-A11915823A7E.jpeg I’m trying to figure out how to remove my transmission. It developed a leak last summer. In addition I have to replace my engine mounts so I figured I would pull the tranny at that time. I assume bolts have to be removed in order to slide it out but it’s difficult to tell. Does it have long bolts to secure it that are accessed from the aft end of the tranny? Do the the horizontal bolts up against the bell housing secure it?

I’m still waiting for the motor mounts to arrive so I haven’t dug into yet. This will be the 3rd set of mounts ordered. Hopefully there the correct ones this time.

Hoping to gain knowledge from those in the know.

Thanks

Nov 6, 2006
Hunter 34 Mandeville Louisiana
The bell housing has to come off with the transmission. The bolts that hold the transmission to the housing can then be undone to remove the gearbox. Those bolts are inside the housing. The shaft is engaged about an inch or so into the dampener plate so there has to be room to move the housing aft about that far before it disengages and you can then take the thing out.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
On my previous boat, a Catalina 30, I needed to remove the transmission but I didn't want to remove the cabinetry. So, I used a deflated soccer ball under one end of the oil pan with the rear engine mount stud nuts removed. This only works if your oil pan is in good shape. After raising, I blocked up the engine to prevent the engine from falling. To later do the front mounts, I completed the work at the rear of the engine and then put a 4x4 across the companionway with lines and a "come-a-long" to raise the front off of the mounts.

Dec 27, 2012
Precision Precision 28 St Augustine
The soccer ball is a great idea. I was online looking for a inflatable style jack.

Harlan

Jun 4, 2004
Oday 34 Niantic
Do you know exactly what's leaking? On my Hurth (HBW-5) the shift shaft seal was leaking. A friend had a similar leak so I assume it is pretty common. That seal can be replaced without removing the transmission. Just a thought.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
There are a few places it can come from. The shift lever plate has a gasket under it as well as the shift shaft seal. If you've ever changed the trans oil using the drain plug, it needs a new copper crush washer. Those are easy. If the input or output seals are bad, that would require disassembling the trans which is a major job. My HBW 5 was leaking from under the shift plate. Easy fix to replace the gasket, just pull the 4 bolts and reinstall with a new gasket.

RitSim

Jan 29, 2018
Beneteau 411 Branford
If you do need to disassemble the transmission, you will need a special Loctite sealer. Clean the split half tranny covers, carefully spread the Loctite gel (maybe Loctite 471- cant remember for sure) and bolt the tranny together. No gasket on mine. Take special note of the tranny bolting to the bell housing. I thought I was missing some lock washers and added them. The pressure plate hit the bolts in forward (i think). Had to disassemble all again and remove the lock washers.

Feb 8, 2014
Columbia 36 Muskegon
My drive plate has some gashes in it from hitting something. Probably the mounting bolts, they all have flat and lock washers but there's very little room in there. I think one of the bolts had worked loose and hit the plate. Happened before I got it.
Probably a good idea to test fit it with the bolts backed out a little and give it a spin by hand to make sure they all clear.