A Special Announcement For All PNW Cruisers

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA

Click for larger view
Belle-Vie needed a shore power cord hanger that would keep the cord off the deck where it had a tendency of collecting gunk. Tried those expensive Velcro brand hangers that lasted only a season or two. So went on a hunt for a better solution.

As a runner I come across all sorts of stuff on the road, one of which was these rubber cargo straps that have an 'S' hook on each end. Seemed like a solution in the making, so I tried some old fashion ingenuity. Keep in mind this is highly technical, required extensive engineering design work, very sophisticated manufacturing processes that included several technical papers costing boocoo bucks.

Click for larger view
After removing the 'S' hook from the cargo strap, the device is ready for the manufacturing process. The next step requires a sophisticated piece of equipment that has a long history of versatile uses. In some cases it might require a highly skilled professional to operate this equipment.

Click for larger view
The Craftsman model 5243 machine works the best in the manufacturing process, but you might find other similar machines that are suitable for this chore. This particular machine belonged to my dad, where he had it mounted on his work bench in the basement of our home where I grew up.

Click for larger view
Some might call this piece of machinery a vise, but it requires a highly skilled operator with a vice to perform the task to exacting standards in order for the end product to work and work well.

Click for larger view
If the 'S' hook has a slightly smaller end, that is the one that is placed into the machine for processing. Before crimping the end, another tool is needed to make sure the end that hangs on the life line is crimped to exacting standards.

Click for larger view
This highly specialized tool, a rivet punch, has the exact dimension of the life line. It will help to make sure the machine crimping meets that very important exacting standard. Otherwise, it will not fit.

Click for larger view
The machining process is just about done. Once the end is crimped to the exact dimension the product is ready for final finishing. An adjustable wrench comes in handy to align the ends so that the hanger sets pretty in its place.

Click for larger view
Wahlah. The finished product is ready for final assembly. I usually place one of these hangers on the upper life line at each stanchion; three in our case. I made an extra set in the event one happens to drop into the drink, which of course has never happened.

These hot dipped galvanized 'S' hooks will last forever, they cost nothing and require but a small amount of labor and some basic tools to complete the finished product.

In conclusion, I welcome donations or libations for an idea that hopefully will save you a buck or two, make life a bit simpler and keep that cord off the deck where it can collect gunk. I've used these hooks for years and they work great.