Westerbeke 10-2 prop replacement

Sep 7, 2009
O'Day 1987 272Le Lake Arthur, Moraine State Park Portersville,Pa.
I have a 1987 O'Day 272LE with a Westerbeke 10-2 diesel engine. Has anyone replaced the 2 blade prop for something more efficient? Or is this the best I can do?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
What are you trying to do? Improve the powered side or the sailing side of your experience?

Sep 7, 2009
Actually I want to do both, but the power side if I can't do both

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
I don't have any personal experience, but people do speak week about Campbell Sailor Props for boats that size. From what I've read they have a more efficient shape for motoring and less drag for sailing.

Oct 22, 2014
Chuck, I did do a Campbell Sailor 3 blade prop install last January. I feel I improved motoring by 1 knot and sailing by at least a half knot. Still need more sailing under more difficult conditions to make a comparison.
I am very pleased.
Old Prop.
OldProp.JPG
New Prop
New Prop2.JPG
It is all about the design.

Sep 7, 2009
Was it easy to install and how much did it cost for your boat? I guess I need more technical info to size it for my O'day 272LE
Thanks for the info

Oct 22, 2014
Reach out to Kelsey in British Columbia for details on your boat.
http://www.westbynorth.com/
He will ask the particulars about your boat and your engine. Then he will suggest a prop.
I discussed the specifics with him and explored why. He was thorough. I thought a solid engineer. Agreed on a price. About $1100 US.
Shipped on the schedule he promised. Followed the install recommendations of MaineSail. See his website.
Went on easy. My friend @LeslieTroyer helped. It was a first time for both of us. No complications.
Noticeable improvement right from the start. Very happy.

Jan 5, 2017
Beneteau First 38 Lyall Harbour Saturna Island
Put a Campbell Sailor on my E-28+, about the same as your O'Day, at a cost of about $650 Cdn. Was so impressed that it was the first thing I ordered when we got the Bene.

Sep 7, 2009
Hi Allan,
I just ordered a Campbell sailor prop for my O.Day 272LE. You wrote saying you installed one on your boat. Was the removal of your old prop and installation of the new sailor pretty straight forward? Do you have any tips for me?

Jan 5, 2017
Do you have any tips for me?
If Allan doesn't answer:
When you put the gear puller on your old prop remember to leave the nut on the end of the shaft. Prop is on a morse taper so when it comes off it can be with a snap and it hurts if it lands on your foot.
Most will say to lap the new prop. to the shaft. I didn't but it's the right way. Other than that it's very straight forward.

Jan 5, 2017
It's using a fine grinding compound in oil. Rotating the prop. before putting the key in to achieve a perfect fit. Local Napa or similar would have it I think.