inhauler vs inboard genoa tracks

May 17, 2004
Other Catalina 30 Tucson, AZ
Don, I would never dispute your knowledge base, but I would clarify something you said from a logic approach. The difference between the tracks is substantial based on the sail. The 155 will fly from the top track, but the car is at the extreme rear, and you know what kind of sail shape that allows. (not) The 135 flying from the lower track is just far enough out that you'll not be able to get a very effective upwind trim. We've flown the 135 from the lower track as adversed to moving the EZGlide hardware, (lazy) and while it's ok, it's far from optimal.
My knowledge base is not a lot and I'm not very scientific. I'm just a hillbilly common seaman who just know what works for me. The barberhauler allowed me more adjustment possibilities that the inboard track. As far as the 155 goes - 95% of the time I singlehanded the boat and I started out with a 155. It was too much sail for me to deal with. I sold it to a Catalina forum lister. Next, I tried a 135 deck sweeper. I didn't like that one either because it was a pain to deal with the safety line. I sold it to another Catalina forum lister. Next, I purchased a high cut 135. I really liked that sail which was fortunate for me because my wife was starting to get angry with me and my sail purchases!!

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
John: I think I misled you - I ment to say JIBSHEET no MAINSHEET. I'm glad I caught the mistake before anyone did.
Ahhh, I was just trying to picture that and figure what the control was. So the slip knot in the end of the line is on the working jib sheet and you said run the line to the lazy winch which would mean the windward winch to me. Does this mean that the line goes forward around the mast to make it to the lazy winch?

May 17, 2004
Ahhh, I was just trying to picture that and figure what the control was. So the slip knot in the end of the line is on the working jib sheet and you said run the line to the lazy winch which would mean the windward winch to me. Does this mean that the line goes forward around the mast to make it to the lazy winch?
John: Nope, the barberhauler line, in my situation, comes straight across the cockpit to the unused winch.

May 17, 2004
John : I called it a slip knot but I don't know if that is the correct term. I wanted a knot that could slide up and down the jib sheet. It's a loosely tied clove hitch. I needed something that I could detach easily as I didn't want the line flapping in the breeze when I changed tacks. Maybe I wouldn't need it on the next tack. If I did I'd just re tie it. Remember I'm just cruising along and not trying to beat the air/sea speed record plus I don't want to disturb my wife who is reclining on the cockpit seat and trying to catch as many rays as she can.

May 17, 2004
Ok @Don Guillette thanks, I have to look at my setup, not sure this would work on the O'Day25.
John: I'm not that familiar with a O'day 25 but I looked up a picture of one. It appears the track is on the combing of the cockpit and there appears to be a nice direct line to the lazy winch. If not, sit in the cockpit with a "tinney" and try to figure another way around it. .

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Inhauler, twing, tweak, barber hauler. What is the correct term. I always thought it was barber hauler.
Les, I use the term inhauler as a general term for what it does and, here, to stay with the terminology used by the OP. There is a difference between a Barber hauler and a twing.
I've only recently learned what a twing is, but a Barber hauler is usually an out hauler because it was originally connected to a block on the toerail or a stanchion post base to open the slot. The term, I think is used for inhaulers, as well and they traditionally attach directly to the jenny clew.
A twing, as best I can find, are down haulers that use a ring or 'beaner on the jib sheet. They are often combined with an inhauler. This is mostly new to me, but consistent with the little I already knew about Barber haulers. Here's an illustration of a twing.

Oddly, most of the examples I've found of twings have them attached at the head of the traveler track. I don't know why the traveler car can't do exactly the same function in that case.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
Will Correct me if I am wrong but when you say "traveler track" you are referring to the track that the jib car is running on.
You are correct that moving the jib car forward would have the same affect as using the twing to pull the sheet down. The advantage is that the adjustment of the sheet lead can be done under load with the twing but unless you have the fancy adjustable car system, you will not be able to move the car due to the friction. On my C30 I can only move the car when it is unloaded so I need to wait for a tack to make an adjustment. I might just need to rig a twing to see how it works.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
There is no way to move the car under load without some kind of multiple turn purchase.
The ability to fine tune the trailing edge of the sail under load makes it all worthwhile, but I know that isn’t for everybody. The issue from a pure cost benefit perspective is interesting, the Garhauer setup isn’t that much more than a couple of blocks, and it’s ready to go all the time. I’m sure blocks banging around on the lazy sheet are are a possible risk to the gelcoat.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
That track is for the genoe, it is only along the cockpit. The jib blocks are about a foot aft of the shrouds. My most used sail is a 115 so I was looking at what could be done with that sail.

John : I called it a slip knot but I don't know if that is the correct term. I wanted a knot that could slide up and down the jib sheet. It's a loosely tied clove hitch. I needed something that I could detach easily as I didn't want the line flapping in the breeze when I changed tacks. Maybe I wouldn't need it on the next tack. If I did I'd just re tie it. Remember I'm just cruising along and not trying to beat the air/sea speed record plus I don't want to disturb my wife who is reclining on the cockpit seat and trying to catch as many rays as she can.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron

Oddly, most of the examples I've found of twings have them attached at the head of the traveler track. I don't know why the traveler car can't do exactly the same function in that case.

-Will (Dragonfly)
Will,
With the setup you displayed (Twing at the top of the track), it appears to me that you can adjust the length of the twing line (say that fast 10 times) which would allow the in haul line the ability to be adjust inward, the longer the twing the more inward the clew could be adjusted.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2018
Catalina 30 Bristol
I think this would be the answer to my problem in my c30. I race in adgainst 2 hunter 31s in a weekly friendly club race. On a reach or down wind I walk away from them. Pointing it's the other way around. It becomes frustrating to watch them point much better. My question is why would I the extra purchase? I would think it wouldn't take much force to pull the inhaler in. Plus. Where would the turning block mount in relationship with the clew? I use a 150. Should it be 90 degrees? I find if I try to harden up too much I lose the shape of my sail and lose speed. I would guess that by pulling the back of the sail in instead of back it keeps it shape?. I'm excited to try this but don't want to go drilling extra holes. Thanks for the help

Aug 1, 2011
This sounds also like maybe the mainsail shape could be improved. Are you doing better than 1/2 the true wind speed upwind?

Aug 1, 2011
The trick is to know what it takes to make your boat go to its potential. There’s going to be a point of sail that any boat can beat any other boat. (Almost). You’re not going to be faster than everybody else on all points of sail.