Heating system in Catalina 470

Joaleb

Aug 27, 2018
Catalina 470 822792 Montréal
Good morning. We would like to install a Webasto heating system in our Catalina 470 and are wondering if anyone who has installed one on their boat can tell us where they passed the hoses and on which side, portside or starboard. Any insight anyone can share would be much appreciated

As well, our boat had suffered damage before we acquired it and I wonder if anyone would be willing to send me pictures of their bathrooms and showers to see what they look like because there is no lighting in either bathrooms or showers and there is no vanity in either bathroom (mirror and all). I’ve see picture on the net but never enough to know exactly what was there originally.

Again, thank you in advance.

Joane

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Good luck Joane. Installing a heater in my C36 was a lot of work. Be sure and insulate the ducting as or after installing. I used double bubble Mylar and aluminum tape on mine.

Les

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
On a boat that size I would install hydronic. It allows you to heat each space as a separate thermostatic zone and also give you domestic hot water without shore power or engine. I installed a system in my C30 this fall and it was very easy with very little cutting of bulkheads because the heat is moved by means of 3/4"ø hoses instead of 4"ø air ducts.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
Joane,

Go to https://www.catalinayachts.com/. Scroll down, all the way down, until the blue background reappears (it is a horrendous website build).

Click on Brochure Archives. Scroll down, both versions of the 470 are there. Download the brochures and print them out if you want. Don't know if they have the pictures you want, buty it's a place to start. There's a nice skipper named Dale Tournier with a 470 on CF.com. There should also be a C470 owners association most likely with their own boat-specific forum [almost all Catalinas have active owners groups and websites, usually a www.catalina470.org type of address].

BTW, it's there are nautical names for bathrooms. :)

As far as your heater is concerned: hot air or hydronic? Which side are you putting the unit on? "Hoses" could be air or water, unless Webasto only makes air.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Joane,
I operated a Prevost motorcoach for a few years. They used a Webasto system. New= no problems, moving past new by just a year or two problems started. Good concept, poor execution.

Bon chance....

Joaleb

Aug 27, 2018
Hi Stu,

I have the brochure for the C470 but the pictures are of no use. I tried CF.com but the site is inaccessible. I looked on the C470 association website but found nothing.

BTW, my mother tongue is French and altough I'm pretty fluent in English, there are some words that I don't know. In this case, I knew the name was head but bathroom came first! ;-)

As for the heater, it is air and my question was exactly that: where did they install the unit and the hoses?

Have a good day Stu! :)

Jul 1, 1998
Hunter Legend 35 Poulsbo/Semiahmoo WA
Re: the head pictures. As a suggestion, search for C47 boat for sale ads as they will often have pictures taken throughout the boat. If that doesn't come up with enough information, then perhaps try to find a helpful broker with a C47 that would be willing to take a couple pictures for you. Just grasping at straws here. I'm really surprised there aren't more head pictures available. Seems like any other boat-for-sale always has pictures of he head area (and with the head seat in the up position).

That is really odd, though, that someone would have stripped everything out the head areas. What were they thinking (smoking)??? Customs people trying to find something that was smuggled?

Years ago we drove up from Rhode Island to visit Montreal and the one thing I still remember was ... 100ºF and 100% humidity. And yes, it was in the summer. Maybe wait a few months on the heater project? More trivia: J'ai étudié le français en l’école pour deux ans (many years ago), aber j'ai oublié trés trés beaucoup! (and obviously my memory is fading.)

Joaleb

Aug 27, 2018
Hi John,
Believe me I know almost all the C470 for sale by heart; I’ve looked at the pictures so many times!! It’s just that I can’t seem to find any that show what I need to see! Your suggestion of calling a broker who has one for sale is a good one. I will do that.

As for the state of the boat, we acquired it from a woman whose husband had died a few months earlier and he was working on refreshing the head!!

With regards to the heating system, it can be quite nippy here in Montréal in the Spring and the Fall and we are planning on taking the boat to the Bahamas in the Fall of next year, so we’ll need heat for the earlier part of the trip.

As for your French, c’est pas mal. Quelques corrections nécessaires, mais c’est mieux que beaucoup de personnes!

Finally, I see that you own a Hunter Legend 35. We had a Hunter 34 for 19 years until we sold it this Fall. We enjoyed every minute on that boat.

Cheers!

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
Here is the association site Catalina470.org One of the tabs is to owners sites. Might contact one of them.

Les

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
We went through deciding on heat several seasons back. We went with hydronic with no regrets. The ability to have zone heating, heat your hot-water tank, and the fact that the water hose are much smaller diameter than air hose made it an easy decision.

Before buying take a look at Hurricane Heating systems. They are Canadian made, overbuilt (tough/reliable), and allow you to heat your heater fluid with either diesel when on the hook or AC electric from shore power. Neither Espar or Webasto offer this option. They are the most popular/reliable heaters you see on bigger pleasure yachts locally PNW according to my industry friends.

If Hurricane offered a smaller unit that worked with our boat I would have bought one over Espar which we purchased or Webasto. Both are good brands, especially when dealing with smaller sailboats, but both are a step below the Hurricane products.
http://itrheat.com/products/marin-heating-systems/

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Congrats on the new to you boat. The 470 is a very nice boat. Sound like you will get her spiffy and ready for the waves in no time.

Wabasto is a recognized unit and has it's family of friends. As with all heaters, select a place where it will be least likely to keep you up at night as they tend to make noise. All of them. It is in their nature. A good Forced air heater sized for your boat will make sailing on the fringe and even during the winter possible. I like my Wallas.

Must caution you about Les. He like ladies who speak French. :liar:It is so Cosmopolitan.;)

We look forward to you sharing a photo or two of your boat.

Apr 5, 2009
Catalina '88 C30 tr/bs Oak Harbor, WA
We went through deciding on heat several seasons back. We went with hydronic with no regrets. The ability to have zone heating, heat your hot-water tank, and the fact that the water hose are much smaller diameter than air hose made it an easy decision.

Before buying take a look at Hurricane Heating systems. They are Canadian made, overbuilt (tough/reliable), and allow you to heat your heater fluid with either diesel when on the hook or AC electric from shore power. Neither Espar or Webasto offer this option. They are the most popular/reliable heaters you see on bigger pleasure yachts locally PNW according to my industry friends.

If Hurricane offered a smaller unit that worked with our boat I would have bought one over Espar which we purchased or Webasto. Both are good brands, especially when dealing with smaller sailboats, but both are a step below the Hurricane products.
VanIslandGuy, the Huricane SCH25 is about the same size as a 6-gallon water heater. I agree that it is a much better system for a boat heater and at 25000 btu would be great for a 40' boat. I got the espar S3 D5E because at 17000 btu it was a better output for my C30 and was considerably less expensive.
http://itrheat.com/products/marin-heating-systems/hurricane-sch25/

Jan 12, 2016
Hunter 410 Ladysmith, BC
Because we don't boat Dec-Feb we went with a similar output Espar on our boat. Our installer who has put in hundreds of these systems from both Espar and Hurricane said we would avoid a lot of downline maintenance by having a system that would run hard as opposed to going bigger where the unit will have more idling and associated risk of getting carbon soaked. If we were boating Dec-Feb the SCH25 would have been perfect. It was just more heater than we needed for our usage.

Joaleb

Aug 27, 2018
Hello John,

Thank you for reminding me about the noise. We will choose the space accordingly.

As for Les, I must caution him that my husband also likes French speaking ladies! ;-)

I will share a few photos when I can. It is now well ‘’tarped’’ for the winter!