1979 cat 30 cutless bearing

Mar 9, 2012
Beneteau 381 PVR
Going to be pulling boat out here next week sometime. Want to change the cutless. I've read that there might be locking allan screws securing it in. Last time I had it out I sanded down the area where they might be but couldn't see anything. Any of you 1979 owners know if there are any locks or is it just a compression fit. Also trying to remember if I have room to get the shaft out without taking off the rudder. Can't remember what it's like under there.

Last edited:
May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
I would be cautious of what others have - boat mfgrs tend to have bought whatever was avail at lowest cost, especially to meet the demand during the boat a day building heyday. There could be the same years that have different struts.

Do you need to remove the shaft for another reason? If not just pull the bearing.

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
DN,

When you think about, a fitting with a spinning shaft has to have a way of locking it in place.
My 1980 has 2 setscrews. I've changed it out 3 times now.

May 7, 2011
C - 30 # 3573 Lake NormanNC formerly Bflo NY
Shadow. Your setscrews make my point, my strut has nada.
. I haven’t taken a formal count but I’ve seen like 50 customers who pulled their bearings, est 2/3 were C27, 28, 30, 34, 36. Majority but not all had no set screws. Its a box of chocolates .

The friction on the shaft is nil compared to the fit of the cutlass that, unless there’s a fit issue, ss aren’t needed. They can be added tho. But they’re more of a potential detriment if not needed. This pic is a guy who, even tho warned, tried to push the bearing with one ss still seized. He got a REAL expensive lesson!

I’ve changed wheel bearings on my old vehicles (way) back in college — fixed shaft, rotating wheel hub, nothing secures the bearing or race.

Attachments

Last edited:
Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
DN,
Cutlass bearings are press fit, that being said & KNOT knowing the cutlass bearing manufacturer, it's hard to say.
Have you had any problems in the past if having a bearing changeout?

It wouldn't hurt to give my friend Len a call @ Catalina in largo Florida, 727.544.6681.
Give him the year of your boat, if in the early '80's it was probably built in California.
He may be able to help you in identifying the part via hull number, size & year........

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Can’t speak to you specific boat, but I would think a careful inspection of the strut would reveal the presence of set screws.

My O’Day 322 uses 2 set screws in the stbd side of the strut.

Greg

Mar 9, 2012
Beneteau 381 PVR
Sounds like there might or might not have set screws. When I get it out I'll have a good look at things. Lift yard should have a puller but who knows. It is Mexico. Have never changed this one. Still solid feeling. No play in shaft Not sure when previous owner changed it. I assume it's when the new Universal went in. When we got the boat it had 35 hrs on engine. Now its around 170. Have new bearing and shaft seal which definitely needs changing so thought change out cutless while its out. Plus going to pull mast to repair lots up top. wiring, antenna, lights, complete masthead assembly. Plus repair the drooping deck. The common Catalina smile thing. Switching to all LED lighting, all new wiring. Nothing working up there.