Manual Bilge Pump Needed

Oct 6, 2018
Watkins 25 Seawolf Dunnellon / Crystal River
I would like to install a manual "hand" Bilge Pump on my 25 ft Watkins. It is equipped only with a "manual" electric pump.

I have seen them installed in the cockpit of other boats and having one would give added piece of mind. The problem is I've looked on West Marine and Amazon and don't know how to choose one. Which should I be looking at?

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
Our last boat had a Whale Gusher in the cockpit with the pickup just under the engine. The pump handle was stored in a cockpit locker for easy access.

Ken

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I don't really have anything to add to this thread, but I am interested in manual pumps. I've been looking at the Whale Gushers also. I'd like to know how hard a high capacity pump is to work versus a smaller one. Is the gpm based on a set stroke rate or are smaller pumps rated for faster action? I assume the lower capacity make for easier action and therefore a faster stroke.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Do a careful study of the duty-specifications and pump rates of manual bilge pumps, including lift and discharge specs. The standard install manual pumps put into most production boats are marginal and secondary. You can do much better.
https://www.whalepumps.com/marine/s...-library/Whale_manual_pump_ranges_english.pdf

For instance you can get extremely high pump rates from larger discharge hoses and lower lift requirements. Placing the pump in a balanced lift/discharge elevation makes it easier to meet the specified discharge spec. While the Gusher series offer some great discharge capabilities, the double diaphragm Gusher 30 with it’s long handle is much easier to meet and maintain the specified discharge rating. It pumps on both directions of strokes, and is easier to meet the 20 GPM rate. Having two diagphrapms makes it a heavy duty rated pump. Believe Edson markets the Gusher30 mounted on a board with 1.5” hoses as an emergency dewatering pump. It is a beast, saw it demonstrated at Safety-at-Sea.

Mar 1, 2012
1961 Rhodes Meridian 25 Texas coast
I have a Gusher 10 mounted in the side of the cockpit in a locker- the outlet is via a loop that goes up and down and exits into the cockpit, just over one of the drains.. The pump is accessible just inside the locker, and the pump handle stores there also

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Jamie, I have a Whale Urchin Gusher. It has a good suction lift capability. It is good for small volumes... 200 gallons. Takes a while and can wear you out. (Had to test this as there was a lot of water in my bilge when I got the boat. After pumping it out I learned the bilge was 4 ft deep.:yikes:

If you are headed off shore and may be concerned about a major inundation of water then you need to examine the flow characteristics and the volumes you may need to move to drain your boat. Take a look at the scene of Redford trying to drain his boat (“All Is Lost”). He is using a Whale Urchin Gusher in the cockpit.

In a pinch a 5 gallon bucket and a sailor with an urgent fear of sinking can move a lot of water overboard.
Most cases it is about stopping the inflow should you spring a leak.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
I have a Gusher 10 mounted in the side of the cockpit in a locker- the outlet is via a loop that goes up and down and exits into the cockpit, just over one of the drains.. The pump is accessible just inside the locker, and the pump handle stores there also
Whale specifically discourages placing the pump inside a cockpit locker where the locker lid must be kept open to operate the pump.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Whale specifically discourages placing the pump inside a cockpit locker where the locker lid must be kept open to operate the pump.
That is a reasonable concept. Your pumping water because there is too much in the boat so you open the locker and the wave washes in flooding the locker and boat insides... Sounds like a one step forward two steps back scenario. Some times known as an advance to the rear.

That said, my boat builder did exactly that setup - pump in the locker that requires an open seat to operate.... Just one of the many done for convenience of the build without a lot of thought to function.

Mar 1, 2012
Mine doesn't have to be opened- the pump handle insert spot is on the outside- just the pump itself is inside. Best shot I can find of the outside- this was taken while on passage across the Gulf and heeled pretty hard, so don't worry about the water in the cockpit :) The white square is the cover for where the pump handle goes.
shower.JPG

Mar 1, 2012
Proper Thru-deck/Bulkhead mount! Nice and close to the helm.
it WAS a bit of an aggravating day. Notice the lashing around the tiller pilot arm and the tiller? It was pretty rough that day, and the bolt holding tiller to rudder head was loosened. When the boat would bounce off a wave the tiller would bounce down and disconnect the pilot. The light line was close at hand and no way I was rounding up a tool right then :) I was likely 75 miles out and single hand

genec

Dec 30, 2010
Pacific Seacraft Orion27 HP: San Diego, M: Anacortes
Proper Thru-deck/Bulkhead mount! Nice and close to the helm.
Mine is mounted this way too... biggest hassle I have found is that the cover flap is easily snapped off by curious (ape handed) crew... and the only way to install a new one is take all 4 screws out and replace the whole flap/plate... easy if you can get to the back of the pump and the nuts holding it in.