Capri 18

Feb 19, 2008
Catalina Capri 18 ann arbor
Hi Everyone -

I checked the post that I had written about changing my profile information, and there were several comments on the Capri 18. So I thought I might start a separate thread about this fine little boat.

What do you love? What do you wish were different? what projects are you engaged in?

My first impression of the boat was that it would be perfect for me if I were 20 years younger. Squeezing head first into that tiny companionway requires a bit more effort than it would have when I was in my 30s.

But the more I think about it, this might be the perfect boat for me right now.

I have at least 15 places that I would like to sail. I think I could never get to all of them in a 30 footer. This boat tows easily, rigs easily and seems to sail pretty well, though I haven't had it out in anything like real wind yet (my reputation as a wind killer is intact). The highlight of this summer will be the Grand Traverse Bay. Next Summer I have my sites set for Escanaba and the Bays de Noc.

And honestly - I can still bend myself into the cabin at 52. I do kind of wonder how long it's going to remain fun for my wife though.

I was lucky enough to buy this boat from someone who obviously took care of it. There are plenty of projects to keep me busy, but it's not a "project boat" by any stretch. I replaced all of the standing rigging, and the jib sheets last fall. The bottom needs to be painted - which is pretty intimidating for me. All of the exterior wood needs to be replaced - but there really isn't very much - so the woodworking project isn't intimidating - but the price of teak is! Thinking about African Mahogany.

Mar 28, 2015
Catalina 18 273 Pine Beach NJ
One of the best features of the Catalina 18 for me,among many others,is it's shallow draft for a keel boat. There is a lot of water to be sailed in Barnegat Bay,NJ,but most boats are relegated to the deeper west side which can become very congested on the weekends. I have almost exclusive access to 3/4 of the bay on the shallow east side. I can sail in water devoid of powerboat wakes and also that I can walk in and if I run aground,which rarely happens,I can just get out and push myself off. Also of high importance is that I can easily handle this boat by myself. After 20 years of owning this boat I am very content with it and don't want anything bigger. As to projects I have added a transom ladder,a mast raising system,and an asymmetrical spinnaker. Future projects may be replacing the rudder and adding a traveler. And also installing a solar cell to keep the battery charged.

jwing

Jun 5, 2014
ODay Mariner Guntersville
If you generally store the boat on a trailer, there is no need to paint the bottom.

Feb 19, 2008
@jwing
even if it's ugly?
I was thinking I should avoid painting the bottom if I can, because once you do - you always have to.

Feb 19, 2008
@JA Toms River
Nice to know you can push it off if you go aground. Haven't had the pleasure so far.

The one thing that's hard to get used to is the mass. It's only a foot longer than my previous boat - but three times as heavy. With the Hunter 170 you could muscle it around, like getting it back on the trailer in a cross wind - just push it into place - and if it ends up crooked on the trailer you just pick it up and straighten it out.

I can't muscle this boat around much - and we tried to pull it out of the water in a good cross breeze once and it was a little embarrassing.

Mast is a lot heavier too!

Mar 28, 2015
Catalina 18 273 Pine Beach NJ
John,I used to put the mast up by myself by steadying it as I walked it up with help from a line going forward and then around one of the winches. A couple of years ago,then age 60,I found it had become more difficult than I was comfortable with. I made up by own mast raising system using a broken Sunfish spar and other parts from the hardware store (no expensive stainless fittings),a 6 part block and tackle from a yard sale and some (a lot of) 3/16" double braid line from E-Bay. Now I can still raise and lower the mast by myself and it is easier now than it was before. As to getting it on the trailer I have had some "interesting" times doing that when subjected to a cross wind. Fortunately for me I only launch and retrieve once a year unless a hurricane is forecast. Jeff

Last edited:
May 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 18 Phoenix, AZ
I just got my Capri18 last weekend. I wanted a smaller boat I could rig and launch solo. I’m working on a mast raising gin pole as the mast is heavier that I guesed (61 yo). I 3D printed a mast connector part to feed the gin pole into. I will soon see if it works well. I do need a Bimini as its 100+ here, any suggestions on what width and height to get to stay clear of the boom would be helpful.

May 21, 2018
Catalina Capri 18 Phoenix, AZ
Picture of the part I printed to attach my gin pole to the mast. It clamps to the mast, the gin pole inserts on the dowel. The forces are pushed horizontally into the part but I’ll need to see if it’s durable enough. 3D printed using PLA plastic, solid
, 100% infill.

Attachments

Feb 19, 2008
Yes,

I was docked in a marina next to a potter 15. Not saying I want to trade, but it looked like I could raise that mast with one hand.

Have not figured out how to do it by myself on the C18 yet.
It would greatly increase my sailing!

kayden

Feb 4, 2019
Catalina Capri 18 Lake City, MN
Hello, happy owner of a 1998 Capri 18.

I raise the mast in a similar manner to StingySailor's w/o a gin pole method, but it is simpler on this boat because there are fewer shrouds (i.e. you don't have to detach/loosen the forward lowers because they do not exist.) I loosen the backstay a bit to make attaching the forestay easier. I attach the end of the mainsheet block and tackle w/o the cam cleat to the end of the forestay, the other to the stem fitting and run the line back to the cockpit. This way the cam cleat will hold tension even if you need to let go of the line.

The key is to get the mast as high as possible before using the block and tackle to pull it up the rest of the way. This gets tension on the shrouds as soon as possible, which will center the mast. I broke down and bought the mast stepper, but any DIY or otherwise mast crutch that will extend is good for this.

And for peace of mind once the mast is up: I tie a dock line to the mast as high up as I can reach with a rolling hitch and then cleat it off at the bow before I detach the block and tackle from the forestay to attach it to the stem fitting.

All of this can be used with a gin pole to make it even easier.

-Kayden
Lake city, MN