NPT vs NPS fittings

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
happy new year..... So starting the task of replacing skin fittings and valves below water. Is there a superior trait one style has over the other?

Thanks!

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
Primary concern is not mixing fittings with different threads. I recently replaced some of my fittings with Groco bronze fittings with BSPP (British straight pipe parallel) threads. Thru hull, valve, & tail pieces with bspp threads can be ordered directly from Groco ensuring that all of the threads are matched.

Jun 10, 2017
Catalina 1980 Catalina 30 Mk II John's Pass / Tampa Bay
NY,

Having a mechanical piping design background, here's some info for thought in decision making:

Understanding NPT, NPTF & NPS Thread Connections
NPS, NPT & NPTF

NPS = National Pipe Straight
NPT = National Pipe Thread
NPTF = Nation Pipe Thread Fuel

Both NPT and NPS have the same thread angle, shape, and pitch (threads per inch). However, NPT threads are tapered and NPS threads are straight (parallel). Both threads have a 60° included angle and have flat peaks and valleys. Tapered Pipe Thread is commonly found on ends of pipe, nipples and fittings (ex: couplings, elbows, tees, etc.).

Sharply angled threads are very critical to joint being tight with no leaks. Thread sealant or tape is typically required to complete the seal. Straight Pipe Threads need a gasket or O-ring to create a seal. While NPT and NPS threads will engage, they do not seal properly with each other.

NPT and NPTF
The requirements for NPT (National Pipe Thread) are spelled out in ANSI B1.20.1
The requirements for NPTF (National Pipe Thread Fuel) are spelled out in ANSI B1.20.3

Both NPT and NPTF have the same threads-per-inch, pitch diameters, and taper-per-inch. The differences come in the major and minor diameters, the root and crest of the threads.

The NPTF thread crests fall with in the parameters of the NPT requirements, but have a smaller range than the NPT.

The NPTF thread roots are different than the NPT thread roots. NPTF thread roots are designed to interfere with the crest of the mating thread with the intention of creating a mechanical seal through thread form deformation at assembly. NPTF threads have two classes identified: Class 1 and Class 2. NPT thread roots are designed to allow clearance with the mating thread crests on assembly.

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
If you are doing it yourself and your labor is cheap then do it right with real sea cocks. Follow Maine Sail’s instructions for a rock solid installation that will be worry free.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
Problem is in some situations it is not possible to use sea cocks due to design inadequacies (lack of space). in my case these areas are not subject to any impacts. But that was not my question...... just looking for opinions. They make both: NPTnamd NPS. Is on better / preferred over the other and why.

Gre

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
The threads on thru hulls are NPS and must be used with a NPS ball valve which are harder to find. Home Depot/lowes carry NPT ball valves. I installed flanged adapters that have a female NPS that the thru hull threads into ,however the male end is NPT which lets you use a standard NPT ball valve. The adapters are made by Groco.
I also install G10 pads that the adapter bolted to , but not necessary This also adds safety as you cannot snap the thru hull due to a seized ball valve and meets ABYC standard for insurance
Groco%20IBVF.jpg

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
Tapered Pipe Thread is commonly found on ends of pipe, nipples and fittings (ex: couplings, elbows, tees, etc.).
The key is one side or the end is fixed and you get the seal by torque on the free side, which forces a thread to thread seal. With the proper torque, no thread dope or tape is needed, except on Stainless Steel.

Using NPS, both sides are free and if you are piping, like natural gas, your coupling must remain in tension set by proper torque.
If that torque tension is ever released, you loose the thread to thread seal.
____
Through hulls, IMHO, should be NPT.
Jim...

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
NPT threads interfere with each other at the pitch diameter. There is still clearance at the root diameter and thus a leak path. You need a sealant with NPT threads to fill that tiny space. A thru Hull needs a straight thread so when the sea cock or flange adapter is installed the flange is in full contact with the backing plate and the flange of the thru Hull is in full contact with the Hull on the outside. A tapered thread thru Hull will either prevent full flange contact or the flange will prevent full thread engagement. Maine Sail’s link he provided gives all the info you need to do it right.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Having installed the new GROCO BSPP strait thread bronze ball valves on the existing euro straight thread thru hulls I can assure you that you will get a leak-free fitting with LOTS of thread engagememt. I did not use any type of pipe thread tape or dope. Once the fitting hoses and valves are hooked up nothing is moving enough to unthread a fitting with a 10 thread fit.

One of the aspects of failure demonstrated by Maine Sail was that small and inadequate thread engagement will cause a fitting to fail. I also don’t like the concept of basically cross-threading valves that have a potential for future replacement.

Last edited:
Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
seepage of salt water into the root diameter clearance likely then results in salt crystals forming in the threads preventing further leakage. Might make removal difficult at a later date. A 1 inch diameter thread ten threads engaged is about 2.5 feet of length before any seepage will appear. Not much pressure on the fluid either at only a few feet underwater.

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yes, GROCO does recommend a pipe dope or tape to seal the BSPP threads against rotation. I have to do some hull bottom fittings in an open bilge area and will use a pipe dope to tighten up those fittings and totally seal the thread against seawater intrusion.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
seepage of salt water into the root diameter clearance likely then results in salt crystals forming in the threads preventing further leakage..
Is that the green Chia growth on my thruhull?

Jan 27, 2008
ODay 35 Beaufort, NC
Is that the green Chia growth on my thruhull?
I like to think of it as follows: Take a walk out in the world some day, maybe through a field or the woods, a desert, anywhere. How much metal do you see just naturally occurring in your travels? None? It takes energy to make metals into the forms we see them in the products we use. So metals are at a higher energy state than how they naturally occur in nature. Energy flows from high potential to low potential (heat transfers from hot to cold for instance) so metals are always trying to go back to a lower energy state. Thus we see corrosion, rusting, etc. as the metals combine with other elements to create more stable compounds. Given enough time (eons) our steel will be iron ore again. Without a picture I don't know if your Chia growth is just a patina from the copper in your bronze or if someone sprinkled chia seeds from a chia pet on your thru hull. https://www.quora.com/Why-does-bronze-and-brass-turn-green

Aug 4, 2018
Pearson Yachts 39-II Punta Gorda, FL
The key is one side or the end is fixed and you get the seal by torque on the free side, which forces a thread to thread seal. With the proper torque, no thread dope or tape is needed, except on Stainless Steel. Using NPS, both sides are free and if you are piping, like natural gas, your coupling must remain in tension set by proper torque. If that torque tension is ever released, you loose the thread to thread seal.

Sorry, but I must disagree, James, with this and several other posts here. As correctly described in posts by Shadow and jibes138 whether the threads are parallel [NPS, BSPP] or tapered [NPT, BSPT] or even mixed assemblies of these there is clearance remaining between the thread roots and crests that provides a spiral leakage path thru the assembly. This is true no matter how hard you torque the assemblies together, no matter how long the engaged thread length you provide, and no matter what materials, stainless, bronze, plastic, etc. are used. That is why sealing gaskets or o-ring seals are provided for parallel threads and sealants like teflon tape and pipe seal compounds are provided for tapered threads and parallel threads.

The one exception to this are the NPTF "dryseal" taper pipe threads. These are much more expensive and designed for applications like fuel and steam piping where the piped fluid or the heat can dissolve or destroy sealants. The extra sharp crests and extra blunt roots of NPTF threads interfere and crush into each other forming a complete metal-to-metal seal on first assembly. Both fittings must be NPTF, and if ever disassembled must then be tape or compound sealed before reassembly or they'll leak too. Although expensive NPTF ball valves are available I don't believe thru-hulls or thru-hull flanges with this thread form are available. Given the ease and low cost of applying teflon tape and bedding compounds it makes more sense in recreational marine applications to simply use those.

Also, pipe dope/ Tef. tape are used to leak seal joints not to prevent them from rotating or loosening. Tapered threads tighten due to the taper. Parallel threads do not and unless "bottomed out" should be tightened against parallel threaded lock nuts or bonded seal washers or those Groco flanges described in this thread.

And, yes, that green verdigris you note on and around your thru hull is not Chia, it's evidence of leakage, hopefully previous and not ongoing, and likely future difficulty disassembling the parts.