Trailer sailor in San Diego

Oct 8, 2014
NA NA NA
Hi Guys,
I am planning to trailer my mac 26 to San Diego this winter for about 4-5 days vacation. I plan to launch and then hopefully stay in a guest slip for a few days. I am thinking Shelter Island, but am open to suggestions. I have 2 questions.
1- Does anyone have recommendations on where to launch and maybe more importantly where can I leave my truck and trailer while on the boat?
2-Any recommendations for a guest slip rented by the night? I would be happy to pay a little more for better amenities (e.g. access to showers, pool, WiFi).

Thanks,
John

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Hi Guys,
I am planning to trailer my mac 26 to San Diego this winter for about 4-5 days vacation. I plan to launch and then hopefully stay in a guest slip for a few days. I am thinking Shelter Island, but am open to suggestions. I have 2 questions.
1- Does anyone have recommendations on where to launch and maybe more importantly where can I leave my truck and trailer while on the boat?
2-Any recommendations for a guest slip rented by the night? I would be happy to pay a little more for better amenities (e.g. access to showers, pool, WiFi).

Thanks,
John
My suggestion is to go to Harbor Island, Harbor Island West Marina. I believe there is a launch ramp on Harbor Island. The Marina may be able to help you w/ overnight parking if you keep the boat there. Another possibility is Pier 32 Marina in National City; Very nice. There is a launch in Pepper Park very near the Marina. I do not know about overnight parking there.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I always check Active Captain reviews and then call the contact number for the marina and set it up. Boat people are always so nice and helpful. I've cruised all up and down the Virginia and North Carolina coast this way and have also done many short hops to inland lakes.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
Oh never mind. I think I was typing while your response was coming up.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
The Shelter Island ramp in San Diego bay may be open now, but they're still finishing up construction so I'm not sure. I don't know anything about a ramp in Harbor Island.
Pier 32 is way the heck down in National City... and it's expensive... forget it.. plus it takes at least 2 hours motoring to the ocean... just not worth it.
IMHO for a 22 foot trailer sailor, you're perfect for Mission Bay... lots of ramps... and they are free. The ocean is only a mile out the main channel...or stay in the bay for flat water.
In Mission Bay there are quite a few marinas... I suggest mine, Marina Village Marina.. the nearest launch ramp is very close by... over by the Dana Inn... an easy walk. There will be plenty of guest slips available this time of year....the marina has a trailer storage area, and they'll give you a parking pass so your truck will be near your dock slip.

There is a 72 hour no check in anchorage across the channel in Mariner's cove... so if you fancy spending a couple of nights on the hook that's available too...

If the weather I good you can also spend a long day sailing down around pt loma in to SD bay.. Lots of fun and you'll be sailing all the way.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
Joe is correct. There does not appear to be a launch ramp at Harbor Island after all. Regrets. Mission Bay would be a fine destination.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Mission Bay is a great location. Lots of water, beaches, parks, you are a ways from San Diego Harbor as was mentioned. Out around Pt Loma into the Harbor past the military ships and under the Coronado Bridge would be an interesting adventure. Check your charts and know the tides and currents and if your lucky you might get to see Navy Seals training in the bay waters.

Of course they are supposed to be practicing swimming in and out of the bay without detection. So if you see one “mums the word. Loose lips sink ships “.

Feb 17, 2006
Lancer 27PS MCB Camp Pendleton KF6BL
Being up in Oceanside (about 4 hours north of Mission Bay) I too would recommend Mission Bay. Quite and much to do. If you feel the need for a nice long sail, head up north to Oceanside. No place to drop a hook but they do have overnight guest slips.

If you stay in Mission Bay and want to head over to San Diego Harbor, be aware of the kelp beds. You will have to head out to sea a bit then turn south, the turn east for the harbor entrance. The kelp will foul your motor like no bodies business.

Have fun.

Oct 8, 2014
NA NA NA
Thanks all. I appreciate the info. I sailed MB earlier this year and loved it! Perhaps the return trip is called for. Thanks again, John