40.5 Questions

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
Once the siphon is "primed", the issue isn't the height of the hose. Rather its solely the relative height of the water outside and the lid of whatever its spilling out of.

One the issues (which in this case is less of a factor) is that a head may actually have the opening in the water pressurized either by flow across the hull or wave actions.

The real problem with a siphon (as all us miscreants recall from getting gasoline contributed surreptitiously) is once it gets going, it doesn't stop until the levels are equalized.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
Frank, no curved soft panel on the starboard forward side of the aft head, just above the vanity?
How about in the V-berth, port side aft just down from the spot light?

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Hunter Legend 40.5 Victoria
Thanks for all the input. I like 2 rules:
Top of bowl above w.l.
When sailing seacocks (other than engine sea water) closed. If there is a need open and close after use.
It peeves me when you can’t get to stuff you may need to service or repair.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Thanks for all the input. I like 2 rules:
When sailing seacocks (other than engine sea water) closed.
With all due respect, I think you may find this both a PITA and unnecessary. But...whatever you think is best for you...

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Rick, I will have a close look tomorrow for the panels. Thanks.

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Hi Rick, definitely no removable panel in aft head. In forward cabin adjacent to the head there is what looks like removable long straight panel. As there is no problem now I did not look into it.
The aft head now discharges directly out. I had the yard do it, it was PITA and cost an arm and the leg but we are ok in the Caribbean.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hi Rick, definitely no removable panel in aft head. In forward cabin adjacent to the head there is what looks like removable long straight panel. As there is no problem now I did not look into it.
The aft head now discharges directly out. I had the yard do it, it was PITA and cost an arm and the leg but we are ok in the Caribbean.
Huh! Maybe a running change. I'll take photos of mine next time I am there and post them for comparison.

fero

Jan 15, 2010
5A463A08-1141-48A6-A83B-49570E5ACF66.jpeg

Hi again,
Couple of more questions:
Found moist wood just bellow the frige, I believe there I might have seen a post on the subject, not sure. The attached picture was taken with the floorbo
Second picture shows a hose going to the bilge, looks like it is over ( maybe even attached to ) the aftermost keel bolt.
And probably a stupid one, how do I change the boat in my profile.
Many thanks
Frank

Attachments

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
For the second picture with the corrigated hose just aft of the Starting Battery. That hose goes into the aft bilge section and feeds aft to a manual gusher pump that is probably located in your port lazarette. The pump should have a metal handle with a black round ball on the end (stored somewhere you can get to it quickly) that fits into a hole in the pump operating mechanism that can be accessed in the area just below the aft removable helm seat. The hose is attached to a "foot" that is down in the bilge. That foot should be pretty low in the bilge. I found for some reason that mine was accidentally pulled out till it was at the very top of the bilge, just below the battery shelf so I had to feed it back down to low in the bilge. It sounds like you can see the foot since you said it looks like it may even be attached to a keel bolt. It is not. You should lift out your electric bilge pump some (easy to do since it is on a movable piece that can be lifted out of the bilge without disconnecting the pump wires and hose. Then put some water in your bilge and make sure the manual pump works. It discharges on the port side of the hull through a mushroom fitting near the fuel tank vent. The diaphram in the manual pump can go bad or the hose can get a cut or tear and then your "sh&^% hits the fan" manual gusher pump won't work and you could be in deep do-do.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Frank, no curved soft panel on the starboard forward side of the aft head, just above the vanity?
How about in the V-berth, port side aft just down from the spot light?
See these photos of the aft head access panel in the V berth and the soft removable panel in the aft head.
IMG_20181221_105154061.jpg
IMG_20181221_105128286.jpg

fero

Jan 15, 2010
841F5A7F-38A6-4961-B244-DB04DF507A09.jpeg
E468BD44-5645-49BB-8D2A-A7EE0895B021.jpeg
Thanks Rick,
No such panel in our aft head, in V-berth there is a panel (I didn’t open it yet). See the pix

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
My 2 cents is everyone should access the space beind every panel in their boat. On my B323 I took down the panel in the aft cabin above the hanging locker to get to the wiring. I found a chamber that is the inside of the cockpit coaming. Long enough to store boat hooks and whatever you needn't access, but just might need.

Oct 26, 2010
Hunter 40.5 Beaufort, SC
Sure enough, a running change. I did see where an owner had cut into the bath vanity forward wall to access his anti-siphon valve FWIW. Good luck!
Really surprised by the "running change" thing. I have a 1994 40.5 and FE says the one he has purchased is a 1995. My 1994 has the panel in the aft head that Rick posted in his picture. Guess the change is to drop the removable panel? Rick, what year is your 40.5?

fero

Jan 15, 2010
Thanks guys, on different subject:
when rolling, even slightly, the engine cover box (with steps) squeeks. Any simple fixes? Also checking engine oil level (VP engine) is PIA as the dipstick is under the drawer with very little clearance.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
I put weatherstrip on the bottom and around the opening. Also snug up the fiberglass cover and upper step rail. Good luck.

fero

Jan 15, 2010
EC87649D-1C16-445A-A0D2-3F20B4BC470A.jpeg
Thanks Rick, good advice a few screws needed tightening, feels already much stiffer.
I wonder nobody commented on the issue of wetness under the fridge. Is there any way to get to the connection of the drains below fridge and freezer which I suspect causing the wetness. Here is an other photo. Thanks for any input.

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Yes, I did a repair of the water saturated area under the frig. It's a bit complicated. Give me a few days.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Service of the VP engine on my 1997 40.5 is a PITA. The oil check isn't too bad but adding oil is awful. I finally cut a hole above the oil fill and use a tube with a funnel to pour in the oil. BTW, if you need to tighten the companion ladder above the engine, you need to remove the aft cabin mirror to access the fasteners. You will need new wood plugs on replacement too.